• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Montalban's Official Bitch About tHe Warriors Superthread

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pachulia is really just a necessary tool so that KD, Draymond, etc. don't have to take unnecessary punishment during the regular season. It's the reason I also said the Cavs were making a huge mistake by playing Love at the 5 to start the season instead of Tristan. While he's better there when they absolutely need to go to that lineup and possibly in the playoffs, it doesn't make sense in the regular season. Even if it wasn't Pachulia, I would definitely want McGee, Looney, or Bell to get those minutes at the 5 instead of Casspi. Because again it puts unnecessary duress on both KD and Durant to guard bigger bodies for more minutes.

Bell I think has shown that he's a more than capable player and a guy deserving of minutes. My only contention is that he's still very much in puppy mode. He's not really disciplined yet on defense. The other game against the Bulls, he had a couple blocks but ran out on a three point shooter. The guy just gave a simple pump fake and Bell went flying over him and landed on top of him instead of doing a solid close out. Things like that will have to be learned.

I'm wholeheartedly agree with you on Pachulia who's been frustrating, but at this point he's a necessary cog. I'm fine with him getting his 12 minutes a game to start both halves. But IMO, I think Javale should be cut out of the 2nd string role and that be given to Bell. So you have Pachulia to start 1st, Bell 2nd string, West starts the 2nd quarter and either Bell or Looney get those last minutes in the 2nd quarter. Second half would be a bit different as you would probably go small if need be the second half of the 4th quarter with the Death Lineup.
Pachulia is really just a necessary tool so that KD, Draymond, etc. don't have to take unnecessary punishment during the regular season. It's the reason I also said the Cavs were making a huge mistake by playing Love at the 5 to start the season instead of Tristan. While he's better there when they absolutely need to go to that lineup and possibly in the playoffs, it doesn't make sense in the regular season. Even if it wasn't Pachulia, I would definitely want McGee, Looney, or Bell to get those minutes at the 5 instead of Casspi. Because again it puts unnecessary duress on both KD and Durant to guard bigger bodies for more minutes.

Bell I think has shown that he's a more than capable player and a guy deserving of minutes. My only contention is that he's still very much in puppy mode. He's not really disciplined yet on defense. The other game against the Bulls, he had a couple blocks but ran out on a three point shooter. The guy just gave a simple pump fake and Bell went flying over him and landed on top of him instead of doing a solid close out. Things like that will have to be learned.

I'm wholeheartedly agree with you on Pachulia who's been frustrating, but at this point he's a necessary cog. I'm fine with him getting his 12 minutes a game to start both halves. But IMO, I think Javale should be cut out of the 2nd string role and that be given to Bell. So you have Pachulia to start 1st, Bell 2nd string, West starts the 2nd quarter and either Bell or Looney get those last minutes in the 2nd quarter. Second half would be a bit different as you would probably go small if need be the second half of the 4th quarter with the Death Lineup.
Neither are the other guys on the team, at least not this season. So he fits right in.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree whole heartedly with Kerr's assessment of the team's performance. A win is a win but there is no excuse for the Warriors having to go to overtime to get by the Lakers. 22 turnovers is absurd and shows a lack of focus and discipline. Time after time the Warriors go down the court and don't even get a shot off.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think last night was more about the Lakers matching up well with the Warriors than the Warriors playing poorly. The Lakers are trying to be the Warriors, so they are built similarly, like to play the Warriors pace and perhaps most importantly, games with the Warriors are a lot of how they test themselves and see where they are in their development. So they are going to be up for games with them.

Don't get me wrong, the Warriors certainly didn't play their "A game," but the Lakers did have a little something to do with that.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think

he's actually been better than I thought he would be.

I've always liked him, for me, he's like Michael Beasley is for @TurnUpTheHeat. lol

His talent has never been a question, it's always been his ability to stay focused and take the game seriously. If the Warriors can keep him focused, he can be a real asset.

Reactions: LAD

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think last night was more about the Lakers matching up well with the Warriors than the Warriors playing poorly. The Lakers are trying to be the Warriors, so they are built similarly, like to play the Warriors pace and perhaps most importantly, games with the Warriors are a lot of how they test themselves and see where they are in their development. So they are going to be up for games with them.

Don't get me wrong, the Warriors certainly didn't play their "A game," but the Lakers did have a little something to do with that.

If Kuzma played Lakers win by 15 easily. There's always 1 game a year where the Warriors just get their asses handed to them by the Lakers in LA. Party scene is too crazy and definitely a home field advantage for LA. Klay is definitely not going to LA ever. He'd die from liver failure and STD's by the time he's 32.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Montalban

I figured out what's going on with the Warriors. They don't have any motivation or naysayers this year, so they're manufacturing them by playing like dog shit most nights. It's just a matter of time before people start saying the Celtics are the new favorites and the Warriors are overrated garbage.

Once the Warriors are back in the underdog position, they'll get it turnt up to prove everyone wrong again. #lightyears

But seriously the real problem is the "Hampton 5" lineup has been awful this year. Anthony Slater just posted this to show the difference.

Death Lineup 2015-16
ORTG: 142.0
DRTG: 95.0
Net Rating: +47.0

Hampton 5 Lineup 2016-17
ORTG: 122.4
DRTG: 98.4
Net Rating: +24.0

Hampton 5 Lineup 2017-18
ORTG: 107.6
DRTG: 118.8
Net: -11.2

Yikes.

ManuForever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Montalban

I figured out what's going on with the Warriors. They don't have any motivation or naysayers this year, so they're manufacturing them by playing like dog shit most nights. It's just a matter of time before people start saying the Celtics are the new favorites and the Warriors are overrated garbage.

Once the Warriors are back in the underdog position, they'll get it turnt up to prove everyone wrong again. #lightyears

But seriously the real problem is the "Hampton 5" lineup has been awful this year. Anthony Slater just posted this to show the difference.

Death Lineup 2015-16

Hampton 5 Lineup 2016-17

Hampton 5 Lineup 2017-18

Yikes.
Hampton 5? Mind filling me in on who is in that lineup?

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hampton 5? Mind filling me in on who is in that lineup?

Death Lineup was Steph, Klay, Iguodala, Harrison Barnes, and Draymond

Hampton 5 is Steph, Klay, Iguodala, KD and Draymond.

They call it the Hampton 5 because Steph, Klay, Iguodala and Draymond all went to meet with KD to recruit him in the Hamptons before he signed.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always liked him, for me, he's like Michael Beasley is for @TurnUpTheHeat. lol

His talent has never been a question, it's always been his ability to stay focused and take the game seriously. If the Warriors can keep him focused, he can be a real asset.
True. But he's an SC man so that gives him some leeway with me.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Montalban

Death Lineup 2015-16

Hampton 5 Lineup 2016-17

Hampton 5 Lineup 2017-18

Yikes.
Yes. And its those 5 to one degree or another who seem to be the most unfocused and careless. Unfortunately there's a chance that that sets the tone for the other guys

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. And its those 5 to one degree or another who seem to be the most unfocused and careless. Unfortunately there's a chance that that sets the tone for the other guys

I get the frustration,

But I also 100% guarantee they won't play that way in the playoffs.

Reactions: LAD

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the frustration,

But I also 100% guarantee they won't play that way in the playoffs.
I hear you but sometimes that switch is not as easy to flip on as they think. Bad habits become ingrained after a while.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear you but sometimes that switch is not as easy to flip on as they think. Bad habits become ingrained after a while.

I think for a team that has already won 2 championships, it is pretty easy to flip the switch.

They aren't playing poorly, just not defending well. These guys are all seasoned vets. They will bring it when they have to and they know they are good enough to win 60 without much effort.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think for a team that has already won 2 championships, it is pretty easy to flip the switch.

They aren't playing poorly, just not defending well. These guys are all seasoned vets. They will bring it when they have to and they know they are good enough to win 60 without much effort.
We'll see but something about this year's team just looks off. It seems more mental than physical.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You said that last year too.
I don't think so. They played hard last year. But they were extremely careless with the ball. Last yearyou knew they'd find a way to win. This year they find a way to lose.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think so. They played hard last year. But they were extremely careless with the ball. Last yearyou knew they'd find a way to win. This year they find a way to lose.

99.9% sure you said the same thing last year. Not trying to pick a fight, but I think you have a short memory on what you said of the Warriors last year.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My gripe about the Warriors is mostly with Kerr. Although I understand his dilemma's, I think at some point continuity matters. Kerr's constant shuffling of lineups is making it really hard for guys to find their roles. Yes the top 7 players should absolutely know their roles, but it also varies to a degree on who's out there with them on the court.

Last year everyone said lack of depth hurt this team. But guys were able to step up and flourish in roles. Javale carved out that 2nd string center role and stayed there all year. Patrick McCaw was able to play spot defender minutes then larger minutes once the playoffs came around. Ian Clark was the clear cut backup SG.

This year, there are no clear defined roles on the bench aside from Livingston and Iguodala. Even DWest is a bit shakier because of all the bigs shifting in and out.

Kerr continually flips between McCaw, Swaggy and Casspi for the backup wing role. Because Javale has been overall ineffective and both Bell and Looney have been better than expected it creates a weird your game/my game role for those guys.

The way you play varies based on who's on the court with you. Curry or Durant don't operate the same way on the court if they're playing along McCaw or Young. Same thing Draymond can't play the same if he's paired with Javale vs Casspi or Looney. Their assignments become blurred and their priorities shift on both ends of the court.

Kerr is trying to keep everyone engaged, but at some point he's going to need to pair it down to a 10 man rotation for continuity.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My gripe about the Warriors is mostly with Kerr. Although I understand his dilemma's, I think at some point continuity matters. Kerr's constant shuffling of lineups is making it really hard for guys to find their roles. Yes the top 7 players should absolutely know their roles, but it also varies to a degree on who's out there with them on the court.

Last year everyone said lack of depth hurt this team. But guys were able to step up and flourish in roles. Javale carved out that 2nd string center role and stayed there all year. Patrick McCaw was able to play spot defender minutes then larger minutes once the playoffs came around. Ian Clark was the clear cut backup SG.

This year, there are no clear defined roles on the bench aside from Livingston and Iguodala. Even DWest is a bit shakier because of all the bigs shifting in and out.

Kerr continually flips between McCaw, Swaggy and Casspi for the backup wing role. Because Javale has been overall ineffective and both Bell and Looney have been better than expected it creates a weird your game/my game role for those guys.

The way you play varies based on who's on the court with you. Curry or Durant don't operate the same way on the court if they're playing along McCaw or Young. Same thing Draymond can't play the same if he's paired with Javale vs Casspi or Looney. Their assignments become blurred and their priorities shift on both ends of the court.

Kerr is trying to keep everyone engaged, but at some point he's going to need to pair it down to a 10 man rotation for continuity.
I always hate this excuse. Same one we hear about the Giants with so much of their failure being Bochy's fault. In my opinion its on the players. They are paid to perform and when they don't its on them.

I think the coach or the manager, with a few exception like Bellichick, have very little impact upon the performance of his team other than to devise ways to get the best results out of them. In fact, I think Kerr gets too much credit in general for them winning but I certainly don't blame him for their lackadaisical play and failure in the clutch this year.