• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB realignment. I was just spit balling.

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What it would look like if they got rid of the AL-NL affiliation and had 5 divisions of 6.

West--LAA, LAD, OAK, SEA, SD, SF
Midwest--ARZ, COL, HOU, KC, STL, TEX
Central--CHC, CHW, CLE, DET, MIN, TOR
East--ATL, CIN, CLE, MIA, PIT, TB
Atlantic--BAL, BOS, NYM, NYY, PHI, WAS

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What it would look like if they got rid of the AL-NL affiliation and had 5 divisions of 6.

@SlinkyRedfoot would be dancing, pants off, for a month

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And I just realized, Cleveland is in 2 different divisions. You don't have the Brewers listed.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like it.

AL/NL isn't going anywhere.

I'm also not sure what the purpose of this scenario would be. What does it "fix?" How would the playoffs work with five divisions?

I'm pretty happy with the way the seasons and playoffs are formatted right now. If I could change anything, it'd just be to compress the time between the season and the start of the NLDS. I think both WC games should be on Tuesday and the DS's start on Thursday.

Another interesting thought (that I'm not sure how I feel about), would be expanding for two more teams and have four divisions of four in the AL and NL, and eliminate the wild cards.

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I just realized, Cleveland is in 2 different divisions. You don't have the Brewers listed.
Dammit. Good catch. MIL in the Central and CLE in the East.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The geographies don't break so good for a few teams. Colorado is literally on an island; no matter where you place them, they would have the most travel of any team. Also there is a glut of teams out east, so you wind up with something odd like Cleveland and Miami/Tampa being in a division together.

I'm sure during Bud Selig's time they talked about this often, but just couldn't come up with a solution that was significantly better than the current arrangement.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The one thing it would probably do is increase attendance. For example if you're in that Atlantic division even if you had a bad team those cities are all within a few hours drive so you'd have fans coming in from the opposing team.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one thing it would probably do is increase attendance. For example if you're in that Atlantic division even if you had a bad team those cities are all within a few hours drive so you'd have fans coming in from the opposing team.

Yeah, that works great for the Atlantic division. How about the others?

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think I'd even want it to change either, but for the fun of it, what if they went Eastern & Western Conference/League, like hockey and basketball does? It could look like this:

WESTERN LEAGUE/CONFERENCE
Pacific: SEA, OAK, SF, LAD, LAA
Southwest: SD, ARZ, COL, HOU, TEX
Central: KC, STL, MIN, MIL, CHW

EASTERN LEAGUE/CONFERENCE
Southeast: TB, MIA, ATL, WAS, BAL
Northeast: NYY, NYM, BOS, PHL, PIT
Midwest: CIN, CLE, DET, TOR, CHC

Although in this scenario it would stink for both Chicago teams to be in opposite leagues, they just happen to be right at the dividing line. So I'd say it'd probably be better to move a slightly more eastern-team, like Cincy or Detroit and move them to the Central and slide the White Sox into the Midwest to keep both Windy City teams together.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Midwest.

giphy.gif

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10 3 team divisions . Only division winners make playoffs. Play each team in your own division 27 times . Play the other 27 teams 4 times each. That pretty much guarantees the best team in each division wins the title

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10 3 team divisions . Only division winners make playoffs. Play each team in your own division 27 times . Play the other 27 teams 4 times each. That pretty much guarantees the best team in each division wins the title

I’m afraid you’re serious.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ha... fuck off. Not funny

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Northwest: SEA, OAK, SF
Pacific: LAD, LAA, SD
Southwest: ARZ, HOU, TEX
Central: COL, KC, STL
Southeast: ATL, MIA, TB
Northeast: NYY, NYM, BOS
Midwest: CIN, PIT, CLE
Atlantic: BAL, WAS, PHL
Great Lakes: MIN, MIL, CHC
International: DET, TOR, CHW

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Organizing teams according to some 2-dimensional "map" may make your mind a bit uncluttered, but it's not like some kind of high school sports conference that's set up to reduce travel and simplify scheduling.

Some weenie-brain in MLB headquarters tries to prop up these "regional rivalries" as if they were a way to improve attendance. The way to improve attendance is to have a good team, not just have the Yankees play the Mets 19 times a year.

I don't see that the NBA's "conferences" has done a lot other than produce 2 or 3 good teams every season and those teams almost ever lose a game. It's hard to applaud the NBA for much of anything.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Organizing teams according to some 2-dimensional "map" may make your mind a bit uncluttered, but it's not like some kind of high school sports conference that's set up to reduce travel and simplify scheduling.

Some weenie-brain in MLB headquarters tries to prop up these "regional rivalries" as if they were a way to improve attendance. The way to improve attendance is to have a good team, not just have the Yankees play the Mets 19 times a year.

I don't see that the NBA's "conferences" has done a lot other than produce 2 or 3 good teams every season and those teams almost ever lose a game. It's hard to applaud the NBA for much of anything.
I think that's just the nature of basketball, not the conferences. One player can dominate because they have a higher percentage of the overall impact on the game compared to any of the other Big 4 sports.