• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB Expansion

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't Quebec be a pretty favorable political climate to get that moving though?
It's certainly possible, but I don't know anything about that. I don't even know if MLB would avoid the city for that reason. I was just sharing some insight on Montreal's infrastructure from an industry insider and his opinion on what that would mean for an MLB team landing there.

Any Canadians in here know anything about the infrastructure in Montreal?
Their opinion on whether or not they'd pony up to fix the infrastructure would be more germane.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like it'd be easier to just change the rules to favor shorter games. With the nuclear option going to 8 or even 7 innings.

The last report I saw had the average MLB game shorter than NFL or NBA.

Also, I think there is practically zero chance they'd make such a drastic change to the game.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's certainly possible, but I don't know anything about that. I don't even know if MLB would avoid the city for that reason. I was just sharing some insight on Montreal's infrastructure from an industry insider and his opinion on what that would mean for an MLB team landing there.

Their opinion on whether or not they'd pony up to fix the infrastructure would be more germane.
It's just a curious and interesting statement I suppose. I don't have detailed knowledge of Montreal exactly. It's possible for example that is exactly his perspective- an outsider. Not that of Montreal, Canadians, or MLB. Just expressing my curiosity in the claim.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last report I saw had the average MLB game shorter than NFL or NBA.

Also, I think there is practically zero chance they'd make such a drastic change to the game.
Yeah, I use that argument plenty, but I am not so sure MLB agrees with me neccessarily with things like pitch clocks being introduced.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's just a curious and interesting statement I suppose. I don't have detailed knowledge of Montreal exactly. It's possible for example that is exactly his perspective- an outsider. Not that of Montreal, Canadians, or MLB. Just expressing my curiosity in the claim.

You're questioning whether the infrastructure is shit, or that their shit infrastructure would keep MLB out?

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I use that argument plenty, but I am not so sure MLB agrees with me neccessarily with things like pitch clocks being introduced.

I don't think pitch clocks are an effort to shorten the length of games but rather to speed up the pace of play for Generation ADD.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're questioning whether the infrastructure is shit, or that their shit infrastructure would keep MLB out?
As far as I am concerned as a baseball fan the latter. As someone who might like to visit it may be useful to know the former. I suppose both really.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as I am concerned as a baseball fan the latter. As someone who might like to visit it may be useful to know the former. I suppose both really.

Gotcha.

Well, I can tell you that my buddy works for a German company with North American headquarters in Toronto and he's worked all over the world. Personally, I'd hold his opinion of Montreal's infrastructure in higher regard than a Canadian on tHoop. Unless that Canadian happened to work for Quebec's DOT and somehow convinced me that he doesn't have a Canadian chip on his shoulder.

As far as what his opinion regarding MLB staying away for that reason, I don't know. I don't know if he's been involved in those types of discussions before or not. If I remember, I'll ask him next time I speak to him.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New York could sustain a 3rd team.

I don't know. Based on population size, I don't disagree with you, but it seems to me that it would take decades and a fair amount of sustained success for a team to develop a foothold in that city.

Then again, if an expansion team was able to hit the ground running in NYC with a few winning seasons, Mets fans might decide they're done with their team's ineptitude and make the switch right away.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know. Based on population size, I don't disagree with you, but it seems to me that it would take decades and a fair amount of sustained success for a team to develop a foothold in that city.

Then again, if an expansion team was able to hit the ground running in NYC with a few winning seasons, Mets fans might decide they're done with their team's ineptitude and make the switch right away.
Good point. A third NY team likely would not effect the Yankees too much, but it could decimate the Mets base.

I don't see a third NY team coming anytime soon (ever?).

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cubs do something for the first time basically ever and this guy's talking shit like they're a perennial contender.

The Mets historically are a completely inept franchise, and the Cubs have a long way to go to even reach the Mets' level of historical relevance.
I'm telling you, they're being crothtardedly brutal after this championship. Taking crazy pills.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point. A third NY team likely would not effect the Yankees too much, but it could decimate the Mets base.

I never really say "never." It's possible, but likely after Wyoming and Fairfield County, CT get their teams. . .

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm telling you, they're being crothtardedly brutal after this championship. Taking crazy pills.

I'm sure you get exposed to tons of that. This was the first instance I've seen of a Cubs fan just being downright donkey-cocktarded.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Montreal is at the front of the line, followed by Las Vegas, Portland, San Antonio, Charlotte, and eventually Havana and Mexico City (if Mexico can ever get it's shit together)

I hope MLB never comes to Charlotte. That is Braves country.

Put a team in Omaha.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I never like to say never (except when it comes to the Titans winning a SB) but I have a hard time ever seeing the Yankees and Mets allowing a 3rd team in.

It would need to be an Al Davis level bloodbath.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope MLB never comes to Charlotte. That is Braves country.

Put a team in Omaha.
I was thinking Louisville. Don't they usually fare well in minor league attendance?

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure you get exposed to tons of that. This was the first instance I've seen of a Cubs fan just being downright donkey-cocktarded.
My White Sox fan complaints aside, we are still well within the bragging period for Cubs fans. I don't like it one fucking bit, but hell, those shitfaces won.