• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mitch kupchak and Jim Buss gone.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather have the pick without Brewer to be honest. Seems like to me the Lakers made themselves worse. I get it that Lou is not in it for the long haul, but I think he could have been a nice bench player for another two or three more years. Brewer looks worthless to me and we're stuck with him for one more season.
I am sure they would have preferred the pick without Brewer to preserve an extra almost 8M in cap room this summer- but no dice.

At least its just a 1 year deal.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This year? A first round draft pick that pans out, helps a team for years.

I like Lou, but he was never going to be part of the team when the Lakers are relevant again, he's too old. Also, as someone else pointed out, the only thing keeping Lou would accomplish is getting the Lakers another few wins that could ultimately cost them their lottery pick.

What valuable assets are or have been blown up? With this team, Lou's best value was always in what the Lakers could get for him in a trade.
this is exactly what i have been saying for weeks.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Lou, but he was never going to be part of the team when the Lakers are relevant again, he's too old. Also, as someone else pointed out, the only thing keeping Lou would accomplish is getting the Lakers another few wins that could ultimately cost them their lottery pick.

This was a great and smart deal, right out of the gate. Cousins tho is not a solution in LA so anyone crying about that would be a fool. Now, me personally, I see Butler as a perfect fit in LA for many reasons:

1. Kobe fighting attitude
2. Brings defensive minded play
3. Clearly becomes their leader

I expect that they are in play for Butler

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather have the pick without Brewer to be honest. Seems like to me the Lakers made themselves worse. I get it that Lou is not in it for the long haul, but I think he could have been a nice bench player for another two or three more years. Brewer looks worthless to me and we're stuck with him for one more season.

Brewer was a throw in to make the salaries match. He costs no more money and no more years than Lou. Getting worse is the point. Lou was good enough to turn a few close losses into wins that could ultimately cost the Lakers their lottery pick.

It's all on the kids now which makes it a bit of a win/win for the Lakers. With Lou gone, if they win enough to lose their lottery pick, that's okay because it will mean that the kids took a step forward in their development and are on their way to being a better team.

If they lose enough to keep their lottery pick, then they get another young player with the potential to be very good and possibly get the star player they need. Assuming they keep their pick, there is also the possibility of using 1 or both first rounders for a young established star player.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was a great and smart deal, right out of the gate. Cousins tho is not a solution in LA so anyone crying about that would be a fool. Now, me personally, I see Butler as a perfect fit in LA for many reasons:

1. Kobe fighting attitude
2. Brings defensive minded play
3. Clearly becomes their leader

I expect that they are in play for Butler

I really like Butler. Hopefully the Lakers can land him. It would accelerate the rebuild. I don't know if he is "the #1 guy" that the Lakers need, but he is definitely a #2 that could help land a #1 in FA.

Unlike Wiggy, I don't think that top players changing teams will be at a standstill. I don't think they'll move as often as they have in the past, but I think players stuck in situations where it doesn't look like they can't win will still forgo money to leave. After all, when you get to that level, how much difference does the money really make (besides ego feeding)? What can you afford on $200 million that you can't on $150 million?

A Lakers team with their young talent and Jimmy Butler, could be very enticing. Especially with a coach that players want to play for and an FO that may finally have it's shit together.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brewer was a throw in to make the salaries match. He costs no more money and no more years than Lou. Getting worse is the point. Lou was good enough to turn a few close losses into wins that could ultimately cost the Lakers their lottery pick.

It's all on the kids now which makes it a bit of a win/win for the Lakers. With Lou gone, if they win enough to lose their lottery pick, that's okay because it will mean that the kids took a step forward in their development and are on their way to being a better team.

If they lose enough to keep their lottery pick, then they get another young player with the potential to be very good and possibly get the star player they need. Assuming they keep their pick, there is also the possibility of using 1 or both first rounders for a young established star player.
Brewer has been around long enough to not expect anything better from him, but I too would want to give all of the time to the rookies including Zubac - developing a talented big center would really help.

In the mean time, I am going to do something I am really good at for the time being - I'm a good auditor that leaves them wishing they didn't have to purchase workers compensation insurance

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am sure they would have preferred the pick without Brewer to preserve an extra almost 8M in cap room this summer- but no dice.

At least its just a 1 year deal.
The Lakers are well under the cap anyways, so that part does not matter too much. They have enough to get a quality agent if they can find someone willing to bite

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So pulling him from the game isn't good? Honestly it wouldn't be that hard to lose games with what we got right now in my opinion. I don't think they even have to try to lose

You are missing the point.

Don't trade Lou, sit him to tank and have 1 first round pick.

Trade Lou to Houston for Brewer, sit Brewer to tank and have 2 first round picks.

It's that simple.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers are well under the cap anyways, so that part does not matter too much. They have enough to get a quality agent if they can find someone willing to bite
you def dont have room for a max as presently constructed.

Right now you have about 82M committed to next year and that is without factoring in a possible top 3 pick- which is about 6M.

getting rid of Nick Young- if he decides to opt out of his 6M makes the top 3 pick commitment basically a awash.

The cap is estimated to be about 102M. So yo should have ABOUT 20M in cap room....now if you move guys like Black (6M), you can squeeze a little more- however- after that- it doesnt really pay to get rid of a zubac or a nance or huertas who make barely anyting ---- and the next guys up are guys like russell, randle, ingram, etc. that you arent gonna just get rid of to open up cap room.

These are the salaries of Los Angeles Lakers players this season

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you def dont have room for a max as presently constructed.

Right now you have about 82M committed to next year and that is without factoring in a possible top 3 pick- which is about 6M.

getting rid of Nick Young- if he decides to opt out of his 6M makes the top 3 pick commitment basically a awash.

The cap is estimated to be about 102M. So yo should have ABOUT 20M in cap room....now if you move guys like Black (6M), you can squeeze a little more- however- after that- it doesnt really pay to get rid of a zubac or a nance or huertas who make barely anyting ---- and the next guys up are guys like russell, randle, ingram, etc. that you arent gonna just get rid of to open up cap room.

These are the salaries of Los Angeles Lakers players this season

Yeah, with that cap space, they can get a 2nd tier FA or 2. Guys that can be solid role players on a contender, but they're not getting a star with that. In order to get a star, it'll have to be via a trade.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers took Cory to force a tank for that top three protected pick again - the question is with the Rockets in 2nd place, will there draft pick be worth anything

Zubac, Nance, and Clarkson all drafted in that range or later.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next task - find a taker for Nick Young. Back to the Wizards?

Young/Huertas for Burke/Satoranksy? Young for Burke/filler? To Toronto for Sullinger/Powell?

Maybe swap Deng or Mozgov for one of the two PGs nobody will take, Reggie Jackson or Brandon Knight? We know Magic has love for Brandon Knight per his old tweets.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Young/Huertas for Burke/Satoranksy? Young for Burke/filler? To Toronto for Sullinger/Powell?

Maybe swap Deng or Mozgov for one of the two PGs nobody will take, Reggie Jackson or Brandon Knight? We know Magic has love for Brandon Knight per his old tweets.
So...the Lakers last won a playoff game/playoff series in the 2011-2012 season- where they beat the Nuggets in the first round- and then lost 4-1 to the Thunder in the 2nd round.

so...

'12-'13: 45 wins- 7th in the West (swept by the Spurs in the first round)
'13-'14: 27 wins- 2nd last in the West
'14-'15: 21 wins- 2nd last in the West
'15-'16: 17 wins- last in the West
'16-'17: ??? (prob about 24-28 wins)- currently 2nd last in the West

this will be there 5th straight year they do not win a playoff game/series.

What year do the Lakers get passed the first round of the playoffs? My guess would be '19-'20 would be the earliest, '21-'22 at the latest.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

you think the Suns want to add another albatross center contract to their payroll? they already have a bad contract with Chandler at C......

having Chandler and mozgov on the payroll together- while it would admittedly be hilarious- isnt gonna happen.

i wonder what the ramifcations of using the stretch provision on mozgov would be.

Stretch provision rule:

• If a team waives a player between July 1 and August 31, it can stretch the cap hit for that player’s remaining salary over twice the number of years remaining on his contract, plus one. For instance, if a player is under contract for this year and next year at a rate of $15MM per season, his remaining salary can be stretched over the next five years with cap hits of $6MM annually.
  • If a team waives a player between September 1 and June 30, the current-year cap hit remains the same, while future-year cap hits can be stretched out over twice the number of years remaining on the contract, plus one. In this scenario, the hypothetical contract from the previous example would count for $15MM against the cap this year, with subsequent $5MM annual cap hits for the next three years.

So- if they "stretched" Mozgov- since he has 3 years left on his deal- i think they could spread his contract over 7 years.

So- Mozgov has about 50 million remaining on his deal--- you could stretch that over SEVEN seasons- instead of just 3.

So- would you rather pay Mozgov about 16M a year each of the next 3 years, or about 7 million a year, over the next seven years?

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like Butler. Hopefully the Lakers can land him. It would accelerate the rebuild. I don't know if he is "the #1 guy" that the Lakers need, but he is definitely a #2 that could help land a #1 in FA.

Unlike Wiggy, I don't think that top players changing teams will be at a standstill. I don't think they'll move as often as they have in the past, but I think players stuck in situations where it doesn't look like they can't win will still forgo money to leave. After all, when you get to that level, how much difference does the money really make (besides ego feeding)? What can you afford on $200 million that you can't on $150 million?

A Lakers team with their young talent and Jimmy Butler, could be very enticing. Especially with a coach that players want to play for and an FO that may finally have it's shit together.

IMO w/Magic on board the Lakers will be in the hunt for either PG or Butler. If George is not traded today, I think he is bound for home .............just sayin

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So...the Lakers last won a playoff game/playoff series in the 2011-2012 season- where they beat the Nuggets in the first round- and then lost 4-1 to the Thunder in the 2nd round.

so...

'12-'13: 45 wins- 7th in the West (swept by the Spurs in the first round)
'13-'14: 27 wins- 2nd last in the West
'14-'15: 21 wins- 2nd last in the West
'15-'16: 17 wins- last in the West
'16-'17: ??? (prob about 24-28 wins)- currently 2nd last in the West

this will be there 5th straight year they do not win a playoff game/series.

What year do the Lakers get passed the first round of the playoffs? My guess would be '19-'20 would be the earliest, '21-'22 at the latest.

Hard to tell. Rumor is Paul George wants to sign with the Lakers in the summer of 2018 (if they don't trade for him before then). That could accelerate the next playoff win up to '18/'19.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you think the Suns want to add another albatross center contract to their payroll? they already have a bad contract with Chandler at C......

having Chandler and mozgov on the payroll together- while it would admittedly be hilarious- isnt gonna happen.

i wonder what the ramifcations of using the stretch provision on mozgov would be.

Stretch provision rule:

• If a team waives a player between July 1 and August 31, it can stretch the cap hit for that player’s remaining salary over twice the number of years remaining on his contract, plus one. For instance, if a player is under contract for this year and next year at a rate of $15MM per season, his remaining salary can be stretched over the next five years with cap hits of $6MM annually.
  • If a team waives a player between September 1 and June 30, the current-year cap hit remains the same, while future-year cap hits can be stretched out over twice the number of years remaining on the contract, plus one. In this scenario, the hypothetical contract from the previous example would count for $15MM against the cap this year, with subsequent $5MM annual cap hits for the next three years.

So- if they "stretched" Mozgov- since he has 3 years left on his deal- i think they could spread his contract over 7 years.

So- Mozgov has about 50 million remaining on his deal--- you could stretch that over SEVEN seasons- instead of just 3.

So- would you rather pay Mozgov about 16M a year each of the next 3 years, or about 7 million a year, over the next seven years?

Chandler is movable at $12M per (maybe to the Rockets, who seem to be targeting a $12M player in an odd rumor). I didn't specify Deng or Mozgov either, just one of the two.

Lakers don't need to stretch Mozgov now; they don't have any key free agents to re-sign. Their only expiring contracts are Calderon (gone, could be waived sooner), Metta (gone, could be waived sooner), and Thomas Robinson (could be back, but inexpensive). The longer the Lakers wait to stretch Mozgov (or Deng), the better the savings.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting news from the Lakers. Going to also be interesting to see if the changes mean the team can get back to its winning ways.