• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Minor league thread 2017

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
O’Neill Leads Rainiers To Win
May 25, 2017
Tyler O’Neill had the big hits as the Rainiers picked up a come-from-behind 5-3 win over Fresno on Wednesday afternoon.

It was nice to see the 21-year-old outfield prospect come through in key situations, as it is no secret that his first Triple-A season hasn’t gone well for the opening seven weeks.

But things might be changing for the Mariners top position player prospect.

O’Neill has reached base via hit or walk in 11 of his last 12 games. His average is up to .221 – which is the highest it has been since the first week of the season.

Yesterday he doubled down the third base line, driving in a pair of runs to tie the game in the fifth inning.

He came up again with the score tied 3-3 in the seventh, and he lined a go-ahead homer to left field. It was his fourth home run of the season, and his first since April 24. He finished the game 2-for-5, with three RBI.

Let’s see if he can keep it going as he continues to adjust to Triple-A pitching.

RAINIERS ROUND-UP

Yesterday: Tyler O’Neill broke out with a pair of big hits and the Rainiers had terrific relief work in a 5-3 win over Fresno on Wednesday afternoon. Kyle Hunter pitched 3.1 shutout innings of relief to earn the win. Danny Muno went 4-for-4, and Tyler Smith was 3-for-4.

Roster Moves: Yesterday the Mariners called up pitcher Rob Whalen and optioned reliever Emilio Pagan to Tacoma. They also claimed outfielder Andrew Aplin off waivers from the Houston Astros, and assigned him to Tacoma. Aplin has played in 248 career PCL games, all with Fresno, and has hit .245/.342/.329 but he is a good defensive outfielder. Pitcher Chris Heston was designated for assignment and is currently on waivers. The Mariners have surprisingly transferred hot-hitting Dario Pizzano and Seth Mejias-Brean to Double-A Arkansas, so more moves must be in the works. These guys have been hitting in the middle of the lineup and got sent down!

Today: Fresno (18-29) at Tacoma (29-16), 7:05.

Opponent Affiliation: Houston Astros.

Season Series: Tacoma leads, 2-0.

Starting Pitchers: RHP Mike Hauschild (0-1, 9.42) at RHP Andrew Moore (1-0, 4.34).

Hot Rainiers: Danny Muno has gone 9-for-17 with five RBI during a four-game hitting streak… Leonys Martin has reached base safely in 11 straight games… reliever Ryne Harper hasn’t allowed a run over his last seven appearances, covering 8.2 innings pitched… Mark Lowe has gone six appearances without allowing a run, spanning 6.1 IP – and also his velocity seems to have picked up a little bit.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mariners have surprisingly transferred hot-hitting Dario Pizzano and Seth Mejias-Brean to Double-A Arkansas, so more moves must be in the works. These guys have been hitting in the middle of the lineup and got sent down!

Arkansas Travelers‏Verified account @ARTravs 6m6 minutes ago

Mariners making lots of moves for the Travs today...
- In from Tacoma: INF Seth Mejias-Brean and OF Dario Pizzano
- signed as MiLB FA: INF Jeff Kobernus
- to DL: INF Justin Seager
- released: OF Chantz Mack
- to Modesto: INF Gianfranco Wawoe

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Zona, who is this little bitch following you around? Looks like he failed Trolling 101. Quite the amateur.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Zona, who is this little bitch following you around? Looks like he failed Trolling 101. Quite the amateur.

I have no clue. I find him funny though (funny in his rants that are so off the wall and meaningless). I love others responding to him. I just sit back and read him getting bashed by you and others. The most irritating thing I can do to him is not respond and just leave emoji responses.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like this guy. I hope they don't call him up this season and let him get some meaningful time in AAA.

Agreed. A little seasoning never hurt a guy. I remember back in the 80's when the Braves would use the bullpen to season their top pitching projects for a year. I wouldn't mind them doing that at the end of the season just to get a taste of the majors for a few weeks.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. A little seasoning never hurt a guy. I remember back in the 80's when the Braves would use the bullpen to season their top pitching projects for a year. I wouldn't mind them doing that at the end of the season just to get a taste of the majors for a few weeks.
I agree, I like getting younger guys some "garbage time" late in the season. I think it is beneficial for most players, plus takes stress off the established guys who have been pitching all season.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This Daniel Muno guy with the Rainiers: there is an interesting and emerging story. Drafted by the Cubs and kicked around the minors with the Cubs and Mets compiling an unimpressive minor league career. The Mets brought him up for a cup of coffee in 2015 even though he probably was not ready. Started the 2017 season in an independent league, as a 28-year-old. Career seemed to be fading into the sunset. Mariners picked him up about there weeks ago and has proceeded to hit .382/.460/.600/1.060 in his first 16 games. What the fuck? I don't know if he can sustain it, but if he can, the Mariners can't ignore him too much longer.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outfielder Gareth Morgan is back on the Mariners’ radar after spending much of the last few seasons playing his way into the shadows.

Still just 21, Morgan has become a steady producer this season at low Class A Clinton and is showing signs of reaching the potential the Mariners envisioned when they drafted the Toronto prep in the supplemental second round in 2014 and signed him for $2 million.

“I can’t specifically tell you that he did ‘this’ and got ‘this’ result,” farm director Andy McKay sand. “I was there for six days, and I saw a kid who is gaining a level of comfort, a level of confidence in himself.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was taking a look at the Rainiers' stats, the triple slash lines for DJ Peterson and Tyler O'Neill are quite disappointing.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was taking a look at the Rainiers' stats, the triple slash lines for DJ Peterson and Tyler O'Neill are quite disappointing.

I expected that for O'Neill because of his age and this was a big move, but he has had some big moments so I think he will be fine.

Peterson has had some nice moments, but not consistent enough for his stage in his career. Doubt he is worth much in a deal so they might just have to wait him out.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expected that for O'Neill because of his age and this was a big move, but he has had some big moments so I think he will be fine.

Peterson has had some nice moments, but not consistent enough for his stage in his career. Doubt he is worth much in a deal so they might just have to wait him out.

The Peterson thing is quite sad. I was always really high on him.