• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Minnesota expected to name PJ Fleck new head coach

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope the reports are wrong. Miles would be the better choice by far. Fleck runs the high risk of becoming Brewster Jr.
I don't know man. Miles is old and even if he succeeds after 3-4 years he'll just retire. The ceiling is pretty limited there. Miles would be better of being a coordinator somewhere. Fleck is young and hungry to prove himself. That's exactly what Minnesota needs. Worst case is that they're no better off with him. It's not like there's much to ruin there (no offense). It's not like he's going to kill momentum.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When it gets cold at Minnesota they have tunnels that go from building to building so you don't have to go outside. Is that the huge plus?

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Western was gonna have a hard time winning 7 games next year with or without Fleck. They're losing a shitload of talent.

I think it's a great move on his part to maximize his hype. He wouldn't have anywhere near the draw for three four more years if he'd stayed.

Now for Brady Hoke NOT to replace him.

Should not have mentioned Hoke! Rule of jinxing your own school.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When it gets cold at Minnesota they have tunnels that go from building to building so you don't have to go outside. Is that the huge plus?
I was there last year for a wedding and I was shocked by that. Like how fing cold does it get up here if you need tunnels to go to class?

But it's a pretty cool campus otherwise and they have a pretty sweet train/tram thing for transportation. Being in the heart of the city like that is pretty cool.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was there last year for a wedding and I was shocked by that. Like how fing cold does it get up here if you need tunnels to go to class?

But it's a pretty cool campus otherwise and they have a pretty sweet train/tram thing for transportation. Being in the heart of the city like that is pretty cool.
My brother went to Michigan Tech and said he got 6' of snow in 24 hours and it would get to 20° below (before wind chill). Classes would not get canceled.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Explain any of that to me, please.
Much better recruiting base and metro area than the other teams in the division. Should be easier to recruit to a place like the Twin Cities than Iowa City, Lincoln, Madison. Plus Minnesota has newer stadium and nice new facilities. It's a winnable division every year to be blunt. None of the other teams vastly out recruit the Gophers so the difference a coach has to make isn't that big. The right guy at Minnesota can make a huge difference like Fry did at Iowa, Alvarez did at Wisconsin or Osborne atbNebraska

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I live two hours south of Minneapolis. This morning its -7 with a windchill of-21.

Fun times

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, this is basically official:

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minnesota is a sleeping giant. Good move by Fleck if he makes it. There's not one team in the B10 West that scares you like there is in the East and Minnesota has far more pluses than Wisconsin, Iowa or Nebraska

You serious clark?

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Much better recruiting base and metro area than the other teams in the division. Should be easier to recruit to a place like the Twin Cities than Iowa City, Lincoln, Madison. Plus Minnesota has newer stadium and nice new facilities. It's a winnable division every year to be blunt. None of the other teams vastly out recruit the Gophers so the difference a coach has to make isn't that big. The right guy at Minnesota can make a huge difference like Fry did at Iowa, Alvarez did at Wisconsin or Osborne at Nebraska

Minnesota doesn't produce a lot of football recruits. We produce FCS talent to turn NDSU into a powerhouse, but we produce 5-7 P5 kids/year. Minneapolis isn't a gopher town, they're 2nd class at best to Vikings. We don't out recruit any of above schools and I'd be surprised if that trend changes. The new facilities helps, but those just put us middle pack B1G. We had the worst before.

Gophers have a rich tradition, unfortunate none of that is post 1962 and kids don't care about what happened pre 1962. No one does, except packer fans

I love gophers, but program has a ceiling.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minnesota doesn't produce a lot of football recruits. We produce FCS talent to turn NDSU into a powerhouse, but we produce 5-7 P5 kids/year. Minneapolis isn't a gopher town, they're 2nd class at best to Vikings. We don't out recruit any of above schools and I'd be surprised if that trend changes. The new facilities helps, but those just put us middle pack B1G. We had the worst before.

Gophers have a rich tradition, unfortunate none of that is post 1962 and kids don't care about what happened pre 1962. No one does, except packer fans

If MSU can come out of the gutter with good coaching, so can Minnesota. And you won't have to compete for anyone else for in-state kids.

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If MSU can come out of the gutter with good coaching, so can Minnesota. And you won't have to compete for anyone else for in-state kids.

Under Kill we pretty much locked down the borders which was good, Fleck will need to maintain that and still expand. I think MN can get to Iowa/Wisconsin level, but there is a lot of challenges at Mn.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You produce more D1 recruits than Iowa, Wisconsin and Nebraska. And you've got a lot better town to recruit to. Minnesota needs their guy. The guy who can turn the program to what it could be. The other 3 schools I mentioned have all had that guy and even if you don't agree that a Minnesota is a higher potential job I'm sure you'd agree it's certainly not worse than those other schools. That means that for the right guy it's a great job

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Also, the released a PJ Fleck statement on twitter but has since taken it down. I think it's probably going to come out after the press conferences.

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You produce more D1 recruits than Iowa, Wisconsin and Nebraska. And you've got a lot better town to recruit to. Minnesota needs their guy. The guy who can turn the program to what it could be. The other 3 schools I mentioned have all had that guy and even if you don't agree that a Minnesota is a higher potential job I'm sure you'd agree it's certainly not worse than those other schools. That means that for the right guy it's a great job

Facilities and resources and support from Admin and community we're behind above mentioned schools.

We have some advantages and some disadvantages, we're not college town which turns off some poeple and attracts others. Gameday atmosphere we're behind. Local support behind. There are challenges here

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minnesota is a sleeping giant. Good move by Fleck if he makes it. There's not one team in the B10 West that scares you like there is in the East and Minnesota has far more pluses than Wisconsin, Iowa or Nebraska

The facility upgrades were much needed and will help, but I'm not sure they are a sleeping giant. There's like 1 highly rated recruit every year. Tough to win when your home state can't produce top level talent. Plus they don't have the recent tradition of a Wisconsin/Nebraska to hang on too.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, if Fleck does really good, he'll be at Minnesota 2-3 years tops??