• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Minnesota expected to name PJ Fleck new head coach

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If true, wow -- they won the coaching search carousel

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure but think Les Miles would have been able to come in and take control of that player situation better.
Team vote en sech.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If true, wow -- they won the coaching search carousel
WHY.gif

why.gif

tumblr_lkcnvf9aau1qdlkgg.gif

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure but think Les Miles would have been able to come in and take control of that player situation better.
Team vote en sech.

Miles would be great to bring in for this situation

I still think he's the leading candidate

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My WMU neighbro is PISSED.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PJ Fleck may have committed career suicide. Couldn't wait it out one more year? Herman had a shitty year and still pulled a major contract, he would have had the power seat going into next year. Now he is headed to Minnesota? Not saying he as a coach can't win there under normal circumstances, but their athletic department is a joke as of now.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone keeps saying Miles would have been a huge get, but nope sorry he wouldn't. Miles had success at LSU due to their willingness to dig into their pockets and have the highest paid staff. The offense sputtered because of him. He would struggle anywhere he went without the resources he had at LSU.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PJ Fleck may have committed career suicide. Couldn't wait it out one more year? Herman had a shitty year and still pulled a major contract, he would have had the power seat going into next year. Now he is headed to Minnesota? Not saying he as a coach can't win there under normal circumstances, but their athletic department is a joke as of now.
Western was gonna have a hard time winning 7 games next year with or without Fleck. They're losing a shitload of talent.

I think it's a great move on his part to maximize his hype. He wouldn't have anywhere near the draw for three four more years if he'd stayed.

Now for Brady Hoke NOT to replace him.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Western was gonna have a hard time winning 7 games next year with or without Fleck. They're losing a shitload of talent.

I think it's a great move on his part to maximize his hype. He wouldn't have anywhere near the draw for three four more years if he'd stayed.

Now for Brady Hoke NOT to replace him.
I guess choosing not to double down if you have an offer is smart, but the program at Minn is in shambles at the moment. The flip side is, Mark Hudspeth was a huge name for major programs about 4 years ago, now I'm sure a decent bit of posters would have to look him up on google to know where he is HC. Strike while the iron is hot works sometimes, but still think he would have been the Herman of next season if he stuck it out.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess choosing not to double down if you have an offer is smart, but the program at Minn is in shambles at the moment. The flip side is, Mark Hudspeth was a huge name for major programs about 4 years ago, now I'm sure a decent bit of posters would have to look him up on google to know where he is HC. Strike while the iron is hot works sometimes, but still think he would have been the Herman of next season if he stuck it out.
They just won 9 games (most in 13 years)and have been to 5 straight bowl games. (Tied for most in school history.)

Jerry Kill had to resign not that long ago. Claeys won with his players. Fleck won with Bill Cubits at Western.

The gang r*pe deal just gives him the opportunity to sell his mind molding scheme without much resistance.

The BIGw is a great P5 destination if you want to win your division, play for Conference Championships en sech.

Western was not going to be ranked preseason in 2017. And will be opening the season against a Top 5 program, at USC. (Could have an outside shot at beating Sparty a couple weeks later. But Id assume they put out the dumpster fire in EL before that happens.)Herman was all the rage early because he was winning and getting hype for Houston having a shot at the playoff. Fleck wasn't going to have that next year. (I did think the Kalamazoo Billionaires were going to pony up to keep him. Until Claeys got canned.)

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If you are going to roll the dice then why not roll them after you have filled you bank account? Could be a rough year at either place if Smitty is correct and if he stabilizes Minny and/or makes them better then he is that much more valuable down the road. If not, and he bombs its not like a MAC school wouldn't rehire him be it WMU or someone else and he is in better shape financially if/when that happens. Most CFB coaching careers aint that long, gotta make hay while the sun is shining.
I'll believe this when I see it but at the same time Rhule took the Baylor job and they are in far worse shape as a program than Minny is at the moment.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minnesota is a sleeping giant. Good move by Fleck if he makes it. There's not one team in the B10 West that scares you like there is in the East and Minnesota has far more pluses than Wisconsin, Iowa or Nebraska

Gopherfan84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope the reports are wrong. Miles would be the better choice by far. Fleck runs the high risk of becoming Brewster Jr.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder how Les Miles feels about being Minnesota's back-up plan if the PJ Fleck deal falls apart. Per the article linked below, Miles apparently met with Minnesota on both Wednesday and Thursday.

Report: Minnesota close to deal with P.J. Fleck

Deal for Fleck is apparently 6 years at $21 million (3.5 mil per year).
Sources: Western Michigan's PJ Fleck to be named University of Minnesota football coach

I imagine the Minnesota financial commitment to the new facilities plan is part of what is swaying Fleck.

Facilities Details

Fleck is already a hella recruiter... with the fancy new Gopher facilities coming soon, he is gonna have another selling tool.

In two or three years, methinks Wisconsin, Iowa, and Nebraska are going to begin to face a very tough challenge for the West Division from Minnesota annually.

:thumb:

Last edited:

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe, maybe not. Minnesota typically has enough talent to do OK and they're in a pretty weak division. They're usually a 6-8 win team with bad coaching. Seems like with a good coach it wouldn't be hard to elevate that a few games. I feel like so many big programs passed on Fleck because he had no P5 experience. Win at Minnesota and he can go anywhere.

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minnesota is a sleeping giant. Good move by Fleck if he makes it. There's not one team in the B10 West that scares you like there is in the East and Minnesota has far more pluses than Wisconsin, Iowa or Nebraska
Explain any of that to me, please.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Huh???