• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mike Gesell Commits!

herky

YEAH JEETS!!!!!!111
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[URL="http://espn.go.com/insider/conversations/_/id/6844014/mike-gesell-commits-iowa"]http://espn.go.com/insider/conversations/_/id/6844014/mike-gesell-commits-iowa
[/URL]

"Ever since I visited Iowa it kind of felt right," said the South Sioux City, Neb., prospect. "The difference for me was the plan and vision coach Fran McCaffery has for his program. He wants me to come and play the point and help run the team. He is going to work with me throughout my college career. He's going to work his hardest to maximize my potential.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/68766/mike-gesell
Strengths:
Gesell plays off the ball mainly because he runs with Marcus Paige in the summer. Gesell is tough and competes on both ends of the floor. He looks like a defensive back but has excellent skill. He can knock down threes off the catch and mid range jumper off the catch or dribble. He can finish through contact and will finish above the rim on the break and surprise with his rise. He also has an excellent floater in the lane that he shoots with touch and body control. Gesell also doesn't mind rebounding on the defensive end and pushing the ball where he puts immediate pressure on the opponents transition defense.

Weaknesses:
We'd like to see him become more of a facilitator as a lead guard. He is a bit undersized for the 2 at the next level. He struggles defensively on the perimeter. He's not a lights out shooter (but he is a clutch one).

Bottom Line:
Gesell is a strong, physical and very athletic combo guard. On defense he can defend both guard positions because of his strength, athletic ability and most importantly his toughness. Gesell is a treat to watch compete. He should see his recruiting run from mid majors to high majors.

Notes
Travel Team: All Iowa Attack...Averaged 25.2 ppg, 8.2 apg, 5.5 rpg and 2.9 steals as a junior...2011 Gatorade Player of the Year in Nebraska...Boston College, Virginia and Utah were also involved...Committed to Iowa in August 2011...

Last edited by a moderator:

HawkeyeHater

Not a drunk
Hoopla Cash
$ 750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a south sioux fan, and fan of mike and his family..........

I hope he does well....

As a Nebraska hs basketball fan........ He is not a star d-1 player......... and a d1 starter is questionable.

herky

YEAH JEETS!!!!!!111
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a south sioux fan, and fan of mike and his family..........

I hope he does well....

As a Nebraska hs basketball fan........ He is not a star d-1 player......... and a d1 starter is questionable.

I've read of the same. But, after some 4 really shitty years of basketball, to able to get someone that is *currently* rated 80th in his class and 12th at PG is huge. We've also offered Adam Woodbury, who received an offer from UNC just hours after Gesell committed. Roy is scared that he won't get him to Carolina. In addition to these two, we've offered a kid from Des Moines. Our 2012 class, if things go like it seems, would be a white, Iowa version of the Fab 5, just not as good.

HawkeyeHater

Not a drunk
Hoopla Cash
$ 750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
reading my post sounds like sour grapes... id like him to be a husker... but even then not sure he would be much more than a role player... basically i question his level of competition playing class b bball in nebraska isnt exactly a chsllenge.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't let it get to your heads, Badger meal.

herky

YEAH JEETS!!!!!!111
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the goofy white boys, Abrahamson from DM, committed to Northwestern yesterday. He was a top 150 player.