• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mickey was right

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For what it's worth, Rawlins girlfriend had a baby and he decided to stay close to home. He was onboard with coming to WVU, but the baby changed everything with him.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if you are taking this stance against me because you think I am saying coaching was fine or because that is arguement you are having with others..but that is not what I am saying at all...I am just saying poor coaching was not the only influence on the defense last year and while we had a horrible year D Cook had a solid individual season.

More important Paull Millard was only healthy QB at practice today.
I am not taking a stance against you, MANY guys were spouting the bare cupboard crap last year, and it was not the case, we had Efore as our DC and a stock broker who never had anything to do with football on the staff last year. There was depth issues, but lack of coaching was the bigger issue.....IMO

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you ever played any organized sports? Not just football, but anything? Do you even have a clue what happens when a coaching staff is changed? DeForrest did not handle the DC position well at all, but to have that side of the ball rotate numerous young players did not help either. DC hit it on the head, they may have been a little better, but nothing like this.

When you open your eyes and see what is going on instead of always attempting to defend FHCBS against everything people post, then maybe you will have clue with what is going on. Quit trying to compare the BE to the Big XII. Not even close to being the same in talent. NOT EVEN CLOSE. As far as your beloved cupboard, 5 cups in the cupboard does not make it a full cupboard. Transition into a new league and transition of coaching staffs have something to do with it. The QB coach that left last year may have (not a definite) made a difference in our current QB situation. Maybe (not a definite) they would have been better prepared to compete this year. But go ahead and put on your blinders and blame it on HCDH. After all, he is the HC and all blame should be heaped on him.
MAD, yes I played football in HS, just as many others, and we had a coaching change at our school between my JR and SR year. Coaching changes ARE hard on a team, no doubt. But, this is year three of Holgorsen as HC, I do not expect a 12-0 season every year, but I expect to compete. I am sick of reading drivel of how weak the BE was, as it is simply not true, the BE is now a shadow of its former self, and suffered a bad reputation because there were few big NAMES in the league, and it was the smallest of the big leagues. Read the opinions on the B12 today, watch the talking heads on ESPN talking about how a one loss team from the weakened B12 will NOT be in the "title" game.
As I have said, I am not for firing Holgorsen, but I WOULD like to see some of you folks who said year three was ownership time to treat ALL coaches the same.

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with the defense last year certainly involved the defensive coaching. Changes were made to help. But, it also involved young, inexperienced players forced into playing action before they were ready.

An issue facing the offensive side of the ball this year.

Dana has had two recruiting classes... please don't forget that with your rant...
Let's not overlook the positions coaching either. We had a DB coach that never played or coached DBs before in his life. eFore had never coached defense before. Sorry, I forget that experience doesn't matter...

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MAD, yes I played football in HS, just as many others, and we had a coaching change at our school between my JR and SR year. Coaching changes ARE hard on a team, no doubt. But, this is year three of Holgorsen as HC, I do not expect a 12-0 season every year, but I expect to compete. I am sick of reading drivel of how weak the BE was, as it is simply not true, the BE is now a shadow of its former self, and suffered a bad reputation because there were few big NAMES in the league, and it was the smallest of the big leagues. Read the opinions on the B12 today, watch the talking heads on ESPN talking about how a one loss team from the weakened B12 will NOT be in the "title" game.
As I have said, I am not for firing Holgorsen, but I WOULD like to see some of you folks who said year three was ownership time to treat ALL coaches the same.

You can't see the talent level and depth at a Big XII school is better than that in the BE? If you can't admit that, then you are clueless. You would rank the BE ahead of the Big XII? That is purely amazing, but I shouldn't be so shocked after reading your many rants of nothingness.

The ESPN talking heads are right. As long as the SEC is as powerful as they are, or perceived to be, a 1 loss SEC team could make it to the Big Show. That is the only conference that has that much pull. Also, ESPN broadcasts the SEC. Haven't you seen the commercials. I hated living in SEC territory the last 5 years but it was hard to argue that they had the best teams in college football. What are they, 7 years in a row winning the MNC? I guess you will now tell me that the BE could have handled the SEC over those 7 years. Why do you think that Texas wants to get rid of Mack? They use to be one of those elite teams on par with any of the SEC teams. That also went for Oklahoma. Now Texas sees Texas A&M getting the notoriety. Would piss me off to see Marshall's program be the talk of WV.

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very true Mad. And watch for the ACC to rise among the hype machine now that they are owned by ESPN too. Seriously though, how could anyone but the SEC win the MNC when they're the only ones allowed in. It's not just this year that a one loss SEC team gets taken over any other one loss team. It's been that way for a long time. Remember 2007, when WVU was beating Pitt from the MNC? The only reason WVU was so close was that every SEC team had 2 losses. Okie Jr getting jobbed so Bama gets a rematch with LSU? It's been this way for a while...

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beating two FCS schools and Okie State really doesn't secure anything for me. Of course we still don't know what happens down the road. What if Okie Jr finishes 7th or 8th in conference? And if we lose to Kansas and Iowa State? That would certainly rate as the worst season in my memory in any case. Even though I only expected a 4 win season doesn't mean it's not a horrid year should that come to pass. Just that I understand and expected it. Anything over 4 wins this year will be a successful season to me for this season, regardless of where the team ranks all-time.

I know where you are coming from, and none of us know how the season will play out for either WVU or Okie St. It was not the point I was making...

I am simply poking a hole in Mickey's column from last week that this year's team could be the worst in 53 years.

A bit over-the-top in my opinion. His articles have become an opportunity for him to criticize everything Dana... and everything Oliver.

Surely, you don't want to compare the SOS of today to that of the 60's and 70's. Mickey would not want to deal in facts... but, facts are there to digest. In the lean years of the 60's... WVU played teams like Boston U, W&M, the Citadel, George Washington, VMI, and Richmond... on a regular basis. They did not leave the Southern Conference until after the '67 season.

His point of reference cannot be taken seriously by an avid football fan. I don't care how many wins WVU achieves this season... one cannot compare it to anything from the 60's-early 80's.

Of course... for those who want to hate... he can provide their hate with plenty of ignorant fuel.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DC, with the piss poor play of the defense overall, dont you think a player like him would have had MUCH better stats last year? He was one singled out last year as being an example of a lack of talent???

Cook was singled out by whom as being an example of a lack of talent?

Cook was quoted in fall camp as saying he was disappointed in his performance last year, and he mentioned a number of issues.

Dad... please read this article. It may enlighten you... and, you can stop posting nonsense.

WV MetroNews ? Darwin Cook?s redemption song

“I take a lot of the blame for what happened last year,” he said. “If I had just been better, worked harder and had my mind right, we would’ve been so much better off.”

From a mascot-tackling sensation in the Orange Bowl to the coaches’ doghouse 10 months later, Darwin Cook said the dropoff provided a parable on how “you can become a nobody in a minute.”

At times he deluded himself, blaming a mysterious nerve injury in one leg for his limited mobility, then growing frustrated when coaches made only casual reference to his injury upon benching Cook for portions of three November games. From a mascot-tackling sensation in the Orange Bowl to the coaches’ doghouse 10 months later, Cook said the dropoff provided a parable on how “you can become a nobody in a minute.”

Kind of blows your BS clear out of the water... doesn't it?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's not overlook the positions coaching either. We had a DB coach that never played or coached DBs before in his life. eFore had never coached defense before. Sorry, I forget that experience doesn't matter...

Nobody said experience doesn't matter.

If you gonna try to drill me... be accurate.

I said HC experience means shit. Would you argue? Has every HC enjoyed success at his next stop? Has every HC who moved from college to the pros had success? Has every old coach who tried to find the magic one more time... enjoyed success?

Experience does not guarantee that one will be successful at their next opportunity.

Nor does lack of experience mean one is not ready to move up to a higher level. Nor does lack of experience mean one will not enjoy success at the next level.

Mark Richt comes to mind...

If it were up to you and Dad... I guess he'd never get a job.

JIMKOON

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the pissing contests go on...geesh...will you guys ever find a happy middle and forget this shit? And yes, I'm having a diabetes event...and I'm angry...AND tired of this the childishness that sometimes invades the discussion of a growing team...with a coach learning very fast...any of you pissing contest boys see the Holgerson thank you to the fans?...He bought a whole bunch more respect from me with it...maybe you guys should read it.

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BB, I wasn't even talking about Holgs. I was talking about eFore and how he had never coached defense before. Also Daron Roberts, who never played DB or coached that position, yet was the DB coach.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no piss pouring going on, there is a discussion of differences in opinion. There are only a very few guys here who cant state their point, so they make personal attacks. MY point is NOT that some guys are not ready, but that being a major college head coach today is NOT what it was even 15 years ago. If it was just coaching a football team, then there are many qualified people out there. Todays football coach is a politician, a fund raiser, a cop, a media darling (or scapegoat), a baby sitter, a teacher, an administrator. HC encompasses MANY different skill sets, and few guys are ready to be thrown straight from being an assistant to the head job. Given time and experience, a lot of guys can learn to do an effective job, but some never will, and I, personally would rather those who can not do the job get weeded out at a MAC school than at WVU. There is a reason that the MAC is known as the cradle of coaches.

jgb

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jim I am sorry to think you were like WVUmommyboyDAD And His Son Mac. You have more upstairs than both of them put together. They just like to rock the boat with their stupid opinions. WVU is a good program with a good coach learning on the run with one of the youngest teams in the nation. I am proud of WVU win or lose. As long as we are moving forward in the right direction than what else can we expect. Dad jumps on board when we have a big win than few days later he starts his shit. If I was Dad I would try to help his son not be a dumb fu=k like he is

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no piss pouring going on, there is a discussion of differences in opinion. There are only a very few guys here who cant state their point, so they make personal attacks. MY point is NOT that some guys are not ready, but that being a major college head coach today is NOT what it was even 15 years ago. If it was just coaching a football team, then there are many qualified people out there. Todays football coach is a politician, a fund raiser, a cop, a media darling (or scapegoat), a baby sitter, a teacher, an administrator. HC encompasses MANY different skill sets, and few guys are ready to be thrown straight from being an assistant to the head job. Given time and experience, a lot of guys can learn to do an effective job, but some never will, and I, personally would rather those who can not do the job get weeded out at a MAC school than at WVU. There is a reason that the MAC is known as the cradle of coaches.

Then, Poppy, maybe I misunderstood you when you pour piss the program when BS was let go and again when Pastilong decided to retire. Maybe I misunderstood you all these years on CBS and here when you attempt to compare the strength of the Big XII versus the BE. Maybe I misunderstood your constant attempts to defend BS when there is no ground to stand on. I agree with BB, not really sure where you are coming from with some of the post. I honestly think you have a man-crush (not attempting to belittle or poke fun at you) on BS. If he is your epitome of a coach, then so be it. I think we all get it. I do not like the sideline antics of DH nor Huggins, for that matter. I like that style of coaching because that is how I was coached, but "I" feel kids today are less receptive to that style. I mentioned in another thread that Graham (HC of Arizona State) was called a 'potty mouth' by one of his players to which Graham replied something to the effect that "this is college football". Some I'm torn about the coaching style. I grew up with it, but I know my kids would not be receptive to it. My opinion.

There are no winners or losers on these boards and I think that you want to win all the time by comparing BS to present day items. Once again, I know that he was your type of coach. He wasn't mine, but I still supported the program. I attempted to refrain from commenting on your posts on CBS and when I come over here, it's as if I never left CBS. You're entitled to your opinions and I've seen some very good ones thrown out by you that were thought provoking and then all of a sudden, you are flinging crap at the program and acting like the biggest anit-WVU fan this side of the Mississippi. Clock management, I agree with you to a point. Has me scratching my head at times. As far as experience, I will take experience over none; however, I feel that DH has been around major programs enough to have learned what is expected out of a HC at this level. I would also like to have a coach who has played the game over somebody who has not. That is why I was excited when RR was named HC. He played the game and is a hometown boy who knew about the State, the struggles, and the traditions. Although all of that is not essential to being a HC, I think it would help out WVU for the simple fact that we are still a stepping stone stop for many coaching gigs. Until/if we become that great powerhouse that coaches want to come to, it will be that way. This is why I hope Luck stays and continues us down that path. The man is making some tough decisions on how and where to spend the money in a time of uncertainty. You have to give the man credit for not burying his head in the sand during these times.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then, Poppy, maybe I misunderstood you when you pour piss the program when BS was let go and again when Pastilong decided to retire. Maybe I misunderstood you all these years on CBS and here when you attempt to compare the strength of the Big XII versus the BE. Maybe I misunderstood your constant attempts to defend BS when there is no ground to stand on. I agree with BB, not really sure where you are coming from with some of the post. I honestly think you have a man-crush (not attempting to belittle or poke fun at you) on BS. If he is your epitome of a coach, then so be it. I think we all get it. I do not like the sideline antics of DH nor Huggins, for that matter. I like that style of coaching because that is how I was coached, but "I" feel kids today are less receptive to that style. I mentioned in another thread that Graham (HC of Arizona State) was called a 'potty mouth' by one of his players to which Graham replied something to the effect that "this is college football". Some I'm torn about the coaching style. I grew up with it, but I know my kids would not be receptive to it. My opinion.

There are no winners or losers on these boards and I think that you want to win all the time by comparing BS to present day items. Once again, I know that he was your type of coach. He wasn't mine, but I still supported the program. I attempted to refrain from commenting on your posts on CBS and when I come over here, it's as if I never left CBS. You're entitled to your opinions and I've seen some very good ones thrown out by you that were thought provoking and then all of a sudden, you are flinging crap at the program and acting like the biggest anit-WVU fan this side of the Mississippi. Clock management, I agree with you to a point. Has me scratching my head at times. As far as experience, I will take experience over none; however, I feel that DH has been around major programs enough to have learned what is expected out of a HC at this level. I would also like to have a coach who has played the game over somebody who has not. That is why I was excited when RR was named HC. He played the game and is a hometown boy who knew about the State, the struggles, and the traditions. Although all of that is not essential to being a HC, I think it would help out WVU for the simple fact that we are still a stepping stone stop for many coaching gigs. Until/if we become that great powerhouse that coaches want to come to, it will be that way. This is why I hope Luck stays and continues us down that path. The man is making some tough decisions on how and where to spend the money in a time of uncertainty. You have to give the man credit for not burying his head in the sand during these times.
MAD, I made no bones about it, I thought Stewart was treated poorly and unfairly, and still do, AND it DOES piss me off to see the same guys who poured piss then for issues forgiving the same issues today. Enough on that.....
Nehlen and Stewart liked the same style of football that I prefer. I played DL and a bit of OL in HS, and that made me like running the ball and defense. I came to like Fraud's offense and Casteel's defense, and like most of our fans was crushed when he went to UM.
Watching the game Saturday, there was no one cheering louder than I was. I support the team and the kids, and DO want WVU to win, regardless of who the coach is, coaches come and go, but Mountaineer football is forever.
There may come a day when I like Holgorsen and learn to like his style of coaching and play, that day is not today. I scratch my head a lot during games trying to figure out what they are trying to do. I get infuriated at the clock issues, the wasted time outs, and the ST players making the same mistakes over and over. I love the defensive effort I am seeing the past few weeks, and that excites me about the future, that maybe, just maybe, Holgorsen MAY start playing ball more like my preferred style!!!!!!!! Because even when WVU was winning last year, it was a lousy brand of football we were playing.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dad,

Please provide a list of the posters who forgive Dana of the same things they criticized Billy about.

I don't believe any of those posters are on this board.

If I am right, then I see no point in you continuing to make posts trying to call them out.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dad,

Please provide a list of the posters who forgive Dana of the same things they criticized Billy about.

I don't believe any of those posters are on this board.

If I am right, then I see no point in you continuing to make posts trying to call them out.
THAT does not even deserve a response..... read ANY thread here and you will see it.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have read plenty of threads since I joined.

I have not seen any of the posters whom you seem to be referring to with this...

to see the same guys who poured piss then for issues forgiving the same
issues today

Please provide the list...

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because even when WVU was winning last year, it was a lousy brand of football we were playing.

:lame:

No, in your opinion it was a lousy style of football we were playing, just like when stewert was coach people thought it was a lousy style of football we were playing.....what I don't understand about you is you say that you say a lot of the things now because of what people said about Stew but you are doing the same thing to DH....does this make you right or honorable or something? Not knocking you like I said it is your opinion and your opinion to have, just don't get the thought process. What did they tell us as kids two wrongs don't make a right :usa2:

By the way I loved the style we won with last year, Baylor was one of the most exciting games I have ever been....hell I even liked the style we lost...:laugh3: since Oklahoma and TCU were great games, sucked we lost but none the less they were great games. :suds:Hard to believe that with the worst defense in WVU history we were still only two points from going 9-3 more sad is that we gave up those two points at the end of the game.

Onward and upward my WVU brothers....onward and upward. :grouphug:

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lame:

No, in your opinion it was a lousy style of football we were playing, just like when stewert was coach people thought it was a lousy style of football we were playing.....what I don't understand about you is you say that you say a lot of the things now because of what people said about Stew but you are doing the same thing to DH....does this make you right or honorable or something? Not knocking you like I said it is your opinion and your opinion to have, just don't get the thought process. What did they tell us as kids two wrongs don't make a right :usa2:

By the way I loved the style we won with last year, Baylor was one of the most exciting games I have ever been....hell I even liked the style we lost...:laugh3: since Oklahoma and TCU were great games, sucked we lost but none the less they were great games. :suds:Hard to believe that with the worst defense in WVU history we were still only two points from going 9-3 more sad is that we gave up those two points at the end of the game.

Onward and upward my WVU brothers....onward and upward. :grouphug:
EXACTLY, DC, IMO 70-63 AINT football, you said you liked it, great, you are welcome to like what you want, as am I. I just for the life of me do not understand how a guy can say that fumbles are on the coach, then two years later say they are on the player.............. How many times during 2010 did we lose a game due to turnovers, Clarke fumbling, etc and Slaton, Lambert, and yes BB rant and rave about "high and tight" being taught. THEN say it is multiple kids fault for fielding punts inside the five, rather than a coaching issue???????? I have said that Holgorsen has a LOT to learn, I did not say fire him, I did not call him names like many did our previous coach. I HAVE and WILL continue to call for Efore to be fired, I think he is a poor coach and is a cancer on any part of our team he touches.:suds: