• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Michigan State turning into the new Baylor?

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His issue wasn't necessarily disciplining athletes. It was his BS circle of trust. Where all the talented players got to take more breaks and had preferential treatment. It bit him in the ass in the end and guys like Hernandez, Harvin and eventually Ronald Powell were players that drove him to quit. Lower level players fully resented this system and it broke up the team chemistry.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My personal opinion, and it is nothing more than opinion. I think the players bought into the culture he built within the program and in year's past, they were happy and winning, so they continued to buy in.

I think this past year, they lacked senior leadership, the team was struggling tremendously and the players quit caring.

Also -- the sexual assault was only one instance. 4 different players and a coach have been suspended in two different sexual assaults. Spitting in the cops face wa another suspension. A white player calling a black player a 'n****r' was another incident. Having 15 other players 'red locked' and not being allowed to dress for the spring game is another incident or incidents (refused to answer why they were in trouble).

It isn't one sexual assault. It is one incident after another for the football team. And the school as a whole has been dealing with headline after headline after headline with former bball players (r*pe, domestic violence), the school doctor charged with molesting like 100 gymnasts.

Obviously these aren't Dantonio issues, but MSU has been dealing with negative press here for the better part of the year.
I wouldn't link the sexual assaults to the team success or chemistry. I do think the Bullough, cucking a player's GF, and a player quitting due to racist insults are indeed part of that problem. Sexual assaults are usually committed by an asshole regardless of how the team is succeeding.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan State Suing ESPN over Sexual Assault Investigation Public Records

hi-res-c3984dc0b6009ea3ef94bc70da5f3142_crop_north.jpg

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't even know what the fuck this is supposed to mean considering discipline is what you do in response to the wrong things players do, not a preventive measure.

this

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a pretty scummy thing to do. Why would MSU make this worse by doing even more to try and protect the names of these kids?
You mean by abiding by the county prosecutor decision, ordering them not to release information while they are still deciding whether to prosecute the three that were accused? If they release the information they are breaking a court order. They have to sue ESPN in order to follow the order because of the freedom of information act.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean by abiding by the county prosecutor decision, ordering them not to release information while they are still deciding whether to prosecute the three that were accused? If they release the information they are breaking a court order. They have to sue ESPN in order to follow the order because of the freedom of information act.

Don't going injecting facts into the situation, now.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The court records don't have to be released, that's different than internal University documents which are totally public record.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The court records don't have to be released, that's different than internal University documents which are totally public record.
They did release some of the documents that they could but the court ordered them not to release the names. ESPN is hunting for the names.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They did release some of the documents that they could but the court ordered them not to release the names. ESPN is hunting for the names.
I'm not sure why special treatment is being given to these players. MSU can also simply deny a freedom of information request and then leave it up to ESPN to seek further litigation.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure why special treatment is being given to these players. MSU can also simply deny a freedom of information request and then leave it up to ESPN to seek further litigation.
Same reason why special treatment was given to Taylor Lewan multiple times in Ann Arbor. It happens everywhere.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same reason why special treatment was given to Taylor Lewan multiple times in Ann Arbor. It happens everywhere.
I can't remember the last time names were withheld when it involved a player(s) in trouble like this.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't remember the last time names were withheld when it involved a player(s) in trouble like this.
Why don't you check when Taylor Lewan assaulted two Ohio State fans outside of a bar in Ann Arbor, was identified at the scene by the victims, and he was not charged until after the bowl game and was not even named in the initial report as a person of interest.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why don't you check when Taylor Lewan assaulted two Ohio State fans outside of a bar in Ann Arbor, was identified at the scene by the victims, and he was not charged until after the bowl game and was not even named in the initial report as a person of interest.
But that was still a matter of weeks, not months and we didn't even know it all went down. It's not like we heard about a situation with an unknown player and weren't informed the player's name for 6+ months.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But that was still a matter of weeks, not months and we didn't even know it all went down. It's not like we heard about a situation with an unknown player and weren't informed the player's name for 6+ months.
He wasn't charged for 5 months, the only reason Lewan's name got out was because of the victim. There was no gag order by the prosecutor in place.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wasn't charged for 5 months, the only reason Lewan's name got out was because of the victim. There was no gag order by the prosecutor in place.
Which is the issue here. People just not talking about it within the institution is entirely different than a forced gag order to protect the names.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is the issue here. People just not talking about it within the institution is entirely different than a forced gag order to protect the names.
So you are perfectly ok with Ann Arbor police giving preferential treatment by intentionally trying to cover up an assault to allow Lewan to play a bowl game, but are against preferential treatment to not ruin three people's lives when they may not be charged for a crime. Maybe the testimony is shaky like the three Duke lacrosse case. I don't know.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you are perfectly ok with Ann Arbor police giving preferential treatment by intentionally trying to cover up an assault to allow Lewan to play a bowl game, but are against preferential treatment to not ruin three people's lives when they may not be charged for a crime. Maybe the testimony is shaky like the three Duke lacrosse case. I don't know.
I don't think the Ann Arbor police did anything to cover up anything. They had conflicting reports at the scene and even the victim's story changed when he sobered up. So they did an investigation, and then filed charges when it was done. I don't think another college student not on the football team would have been treated any differently. At best you can argue they stretched the timeline for the investigation.