• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Michigan lands 2015 RB Damien Harris #20 in ESPN 300

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This topic went from a great commit to bringing RR coaching skills back up. I for one think this kid will be a great addition. I am a little discouraged with how Hoke has been preparing his classes, I want to see more of a mix of players at different positions. I understand he is just replenishing bare cabinets but I would really like to see a true mix of players at all sorts of positions. In Hoke I Trust!

Aren't we though? The first class was really defensively weighted but Hoke really didn't have much time on that one. Even so, in the 2011 class, Hoke got 4 offensive and 4 defensive players to commit (on top of what RR had) plus a kicker.

In 2012, it was about the same. 14 defensive players 11 offensive players. This was one of the better offensive line classes in our history, with 3 RB's, 2 WR's and 2 TE's in it.

In 2013, again it was a pretty good balance. 11 defensive players 16 offensive players.

The one thing that did stick out in 2013 was that Hoke was finally able to land a couple 5 star offensive talents, which may have been the one knock on his first two classes.

2013 was the perfect balance to 2012. In the two first Hoke-only recruiting classes there have been 25 defensive players and 27 offensive players. You can't get more balanced than that.

Fast forward to this 2014 class and, again, it's about the same. Our top two prospects are a CB and a WR. We have 7 defensive players and 7 offensive players committed. So, again, I guess I just don't understand how he's not recruiting balanced? We've gotten a five star QB, RB, WR, CB, S, DT, OT, & OG. Again, I just don't get where we're out of balance?

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aren't we though? The first class was really defensively weighted but Hoke really didn't have much time on that one. Even so, in the 2011 class, Hoke got 4 offensive and 4 defensive players to commit (on top of what RR had) plus a kicker.

In 2012, it was about the same. 14 defensive players 11 offensive players. This was one of the better offensive line classes in our history, with 3 RB's, 2 WR's and 2 TE's in it.

In 2013, again it was a pretty good balance. 11 defensive players 16 offensive players.

The one thing that did stick out in 2013 was that Hoke was finally able to land a couple 5 star offensive talents, which may have been the one knock on his first two classes.

2013 was the perfect balance to 2012. In the two first Hoke-only recruiting classes there have been 25 defensive players and 27 offensive players. You can't get more balanced than that.

Fast forward to this 2014 class and, again, it's about the same. Our top two prospects are a CB and a WR. We have 7 defensive players and 7 offensive players committed. So, again, I guess I just don't understand how he's not recruiting balanced? We've gotten a five star QB, RB, WR, CB, S, DT, OT, & OG. Again, I just don't get where we're out of balance?

Not to mention, if you are going to be out of balance, it's better to heavy on the lines. The big uglies do not get enough credit, a great O-line can make a good RB great and give a QB all the time he needs to find an open reciever.

Coyote57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps I didn't quite understand the initial comment, I thought the complaint was too many schollys tied up in the OL, and not enough for the rest of positions, and thought that this continue going forward.

In terms of Off / Def Balance, I've thought the numbers were about right. Some of it, of course, depending on who chose / didn't choose, UM.

Generally speaking, coaches are trying to bring in a complete team in each class. The numbers will skew a bit depending on the schollys available, who signs and who doesn't, and holes created by attrition. But generally I think we start seeing Hoke bring in classes that more or less represent a complete O and D.

Coyote57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to mention, if you are going to be out of balance, it's better to heavy on the lines. The big uglies do not get enough credit, a great O-line can make a good RB great and give a QB all the time he needs to find an open reciever.

Couldn't agree more.

My yrs in HS ball have shown me the proof of this over and over again. A good line makes a better RB/ QB. A lousy line cripples 'em.

If I were going back and doing all again - same kids, same squads - I'd specialize on OL. Coached a lot of close games, and those we lost, I believe better OL play would have made the difference. [That, and a bad mark on 3 and 2 at the 3 yd line, but that's another story]

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think that would actually work? I suspect if something goes terribly wrong for Michigan then people are going to bypass that thread.

It certainly wouldn't have saved us from this awesomeness.You did warn us in post 8 "It really does no good to rehash all this."

Couldn't a program be written so that every time RR is mentioned in a post, it disappears into the alternate thread (kind of like the Jalopy name)?

I just can't bite my tongue when he is used as a whipping post because I know that certain "boosters" went out of their way to ensure his failure.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't a program be written so that every time RR is mentioned in a post, it disappears into the alternate thread (kind of like the Jalopy name)?

I just can't bite my tongue when he is used as a whipping post because I know that certain "boosters" went out of their way to ensure his failure.

I don't think that's possible with a word.

And yeah, I know of a few stories as well told from former players that there were certainly a large number of people against him from the start. But from most accounts, a lot of that happened after he did one thing or another that they didn't like. From the beginning they were looking for something to hate - and RR didn't make it hard to find one.

There are a lot of people to blame, I think Bill Martin shares a huge part of that, but I think RR still did plenty to ensure those "boosters" had something legit to complain about.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that's possible with a word.

And yeah, I know of a few stories as well told from former players that there were certainly a large number of people against him from the start. But from most accounts, a lot of that happened after he did one thing or another that they didn't like. From the beginning they were looking for something to hate - and RR didn't make it hard to find one.

There are a lot of people to blame, I think Bill Martin shares a huge part of that, but I think RR still did plenty to ensure those "boosters" had something legit to complain about.

No way! I was personally told by the head of Michigan Football that there were boosters that vowed to get rid of RR even before his hiring was announced. I remember that day vividly because it was the day I changed my annual contribution from the football program to the education department.

Coyote57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, getting back the kid...

Anyone got any insights as to what Damien Harris brings to the table?

Steve0

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great look

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MMMJB2bFaw]Damien Harris '15 RB (Berea, KY) Madison Southern - YouTube[/ame]

Terrific slasher who must have excellent vision; doesn't seem to lose much speed and he shifts laterally.
Never gives up on a play.
^
Sure looks like a Michigan Man 2 me!

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He looks good. Might want to make sure this kid doesn't stray over the next 2 years.

nonbcsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has supposed 4.4 speed but that seems to translate to about 4.6 in college.

I would be very happy with a 220 lb back with his vision and 4.6 speed running behind the line we'll have in a couple of years...

Coyote57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be very happy with a 220 lb back with his vision and 4.6 speed running behind the line we'll have in a couple of years...

Not sure, but I think that's illegal in most states. Certainly not street-legal. I'm getting shivers thinking about it.