• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Michigan lands 2015 RB Damien Harris #20 in ESPN 300

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet again, Hoke pulls in a top 25 player. Michigan now has the best WR and one of the best RB's in the 2015 class - almost 2 years before they sign. Words can't describe how awesome this is. Hoke is in beast mode right now on the recruiting trail.

nonbcsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoke is building the team from inside out... first the lines, then the back field and the outside... Bo would approve of this.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn't a big surprise but a huge get for Hoke. I wonder if it will affect Mikey Weber's decision? It would be nice to keep that pipeline intact. Any word on Cass Tech's 2015 QB? I can't remember his name but he might be consider a dual-threat QB

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tradition sells. RR was a fucking disgrace to MI tradition the minute he stepped on our campus. So good to see those days in the rear view mirror.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RR was a fucking disgrace to MI tradition the minute he stepped on our campus.
I'm not sure if I have ever read a less factual statement or one more detached from reality. Why even bring RR into this thread?

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tradition sells. RR was a fucking disgrace to MI tradition the minute he stepped on our campus. So good to see those days in the rear view mirror.

Well, I also think winning had a bit to do with it. That first year was HUGE. It allowed Hoke to get his foot into some places that he might not have been able to otherwise. Once we got a few big name recruits it started a domino effect. Let's not forget, Shane Morris had a huge part in all of this too. He sold the crap out of the program and influenced some pretty big names. Once you get a few, the other top prospects seem to take notice. Once you get a bunch, top prospects want to get in on it because they want to win titles.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RR was a fucking disgrace to MI tradition the minute he stepped on our campus.
I'm not sure if I have ever read a less factual statement or one more detached from reality. Why even bring RR into this thread?

To be fair, one of the first things RR tried to do as head coach was give the #1 jersey to a defensive player. Not to mention, he gutted the coaching staff. I think that's the move that really killed RR.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to mention, he gutted the coaching staff.

It really does no good to rehash all this. I am sure it has been done to death across all Michigan message boards. RR did plenty wrong but I think it should be noted that he was denied funding to hire the DC he wanted. Think of where Hoke would be if he was denied the funds to hire Mattison. There is plenty of blame to spread around but a disproportionate amount lands at the feet of the administration.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to mention, he gutted the coaching staff.

It really does no good to rehash all this. I am sure it has been done to death across all Michigan message boards. RR did plenty wrong but I think it should be noted that he was denied funding to hire the DC he wanted. Think of where Hoke would be if he was denied the funds to hire Mattison. There is plenty of blame to spread around but a disproportionate amount lands at the feet of the administration.

Would Hoke have gone 3-9? I don't think so, and I think he's capable enough as a defensive coach to do just fine, even with a less than competent coach. No one made him hire his two defensive coordinators, one of which is doing really well at his new school and the other was fired for being a terrible head coach. To some extent you can't erase how bad RR did and it shouldn't be this part of our history we don't talk about. If you don't learn from history you're destine to repeat it.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would Hoke have gone 3-9? I don't think so, and I think he's capable enough as a defensive coach to do just fine, even with a less than competent coach. No one made him hire his two defensive coordinators, one of which is doing really well at his new school and the other was fired for being a terrible head coach. To some extent you can't erase how bad RR did and it shouldn't be this part of our history we don't talk about. If you don't learn from history you're destine to repeat it.

I don't want to sound like a RR apologist but if he succeeded at WV and succeeds at UA, what does that say about Michigan. I think enough of what happened behind the scenes has been revealed to show that the RR era was doomed from the get go. I have met the man on several occasions and like him. I know he had shortcomings but if the weight of the university would have been behind him, we would have become an elite team. This is not to demean what Hoke has done because he has made remarkable strides but this is his third year and the product on the field is not yet up to most of our standards although most indications are we are heading there fast.

nonbcsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this coaching staff had the 2008 team and talked Mallett, Boren, and Arrington into staying, I think we'd be around 9-3.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to sound like a RR apologist but if he succeeded at WV and succeeds at UA, what does that say about Michigan. I think enough of what happened behind the scenes has been revealed to show that the RR era was doomed from the get go. I have met the man on several occasions and like him. I know he had shortcomings but if the weight of the university would have been behind him, we would have become an elite team. This is not to demean what Hoke has done because he has made remarkable strides but this is his third year and the product on the field is not yet up to most of our standards although most indications are we are heading there fast.

There are many factors here. For one, even at Michigan RR had no problem beating Big East teams. We destroyed Uconn when they won the big east a few years back. I think RR's system was great when you're playing lower-level teams and it could really dominate bad defenses. We witnessed this here. I think we'll see the same at Arizona. Look at their record last year, it's exactly what he was doing here once he actually recruited a QB.

He played a bunch of shootouts with some teams, lost most of them, and got destroyed by Oregon.

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are many factors here. For one, even at Michigan RR had no problem beating Big East teams. We destroyed Uconn when they won the big east a few years back. I think RR's system was great when you're playing lower-level teams and it could really dominate bad defenses. We witnessed this here. I think we'll see the same at Arizona. Look at their record last year, it's exactly what he was doing here once he actually recruited a QB.

He played a bunch of shootouts with some teams, lost most of them, and got destroyed by Oregon.

We can go round and round on why the Rich Rod experiment didn't work, fact is it didn't and it is in the past. Time to look forward to the bright future under Hoke, as evident by the recruiting.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can go round and round on why the Rich Rod experiment didn't work, fact is it didn't and it is in the past. Time to look forward to the bright future under Hoke, as evident by the recruiting.

I think that's the point of pointing out RR's failures, to celebrate how awesome Hoke is doing. To some extent, bickering about RR will probably continue for quite some time, especially given how quickly Hoke turned things around.

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that's the point of pointing out RR's failures, to celebrate how awesome Hoke is doing. To some extent, bickering about RR will probably continue for quite some time, especially given how quickly Hoke turned things around.

:agree:

With the current trend going, if Hoke doesn't bring home a nation title for Michigan by the end of the decade, I will be very, very surprised.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:

With the current trend going, if Hoke doesn't bring home a nation title for Michigan by the end of the decade, I will be very, very surprised.

I don't know if I'm putting expectations that high, what I do expect is for Michigan to start competing nationally again. Playing Alabama and beating them for instance. I think first, we need to start winning the majority of our bowl games. Secondly, I'd like to see us in the CFB playoff or national title game. I don't know if I necessarily need to win it within 7 years but I'd like to at least be competing for it every year.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

OK, I'll bite...

When RR came in there was very little elite talent on the team, especially considering the prior coach was advising incoming recruits (and current players) to look elsewhere. Additionally, RR was hired with a change in philosophy mandated. This was a major shift in how things had been done before and people didn't think it would take time.

RR's system can't win by itself, it needs talent as does any other system. He had very little to work with. If his legs hadn't been cut out at every turn in the form of internal bickering, budgeting issues, and non-support this program would now be on par with Oregon as one of the most exciting in the country. Instead of blaming everything on RR, Michigan fans need to look up the totem pole.

Coyote57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this program would now be on par with Oregon as one of the most exciting in the
country

Hmmm.... RR is no Kelly.

Basically, the powers-that-were thought to bring in the kinda football that beat UM in bowl games in the past, and other powers-that-were thought that was a bad idea. I agree RR did not get the kinda support he might ought to have.... But OTOH

I do believe RR's teams were as exciting as Oregon's... they didn't win as often, but they were plenty of exciting.

I forgot which game it was, but once, when Woody fell behind, he came out in the 2nd half throwing - and throwing well - and got back into the game, but they came up short. Either his Prez or AD after the game said it was too bad they lost, but they sure did make it exciting. Woody replies: " 'Bleep' exciting. I rather be boring as 'Bleep' and win than be exciting and lose."

nonbcsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I rather win titles than be "exciting"... Oregon is a fine program but I rather we model ourselves after Alabama (without the off field issues) and aim at national dominance.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm.... RR is no Kelly.

Basically, the powers-that-were thought to bring in the kinda football that beat UM in bowl games in the past, and other powers-that-were thought that was a bad idea. I agree RR did not get the kinda support he might ought to have.... But OTOH

I do believe RR's teams were as exciting as Oregon's... they didn't win as often, but they were plenty of exciting.

I forgot which game it was, but once, when Woody fell behind, he came out in the 2nd half throwing - and throwing well - and got back into the game, but they came up short. Either his Prez or AD after the game said it was too bad they lost, but they sure did make it exciting. Woody replies: " 'Bleep' exciting. I rather be boring as 'Bleep' and win than be exciting and lose."

Agreed. More specifically, it was the football people in the Athletic Department that saw the need for change
and it was sabotaged by a few (very) powerful alums.

Michigan has a much more expansive network than Oregon did or does (despite how much $$$'s Knight has). It would have taken 3-5 years but if Michigan had gone all-in on the new philosophy, we could have changed college football. Instead, we were left rudderless in the aftermath of Bo's passing and chose to bicker amongst ourselves, even resorting to turning our own program in to the NCAA with bogus violations.

Hoke is benefiting from a more unified approach. His teams, while their record on the field has been great, have not been much better than mediocre. I'm not sure if that says a lot about his coaching abilities or the teams we have played. I think the most direct benefit for Hoke was the opening of the purse to hire Mattison. Not many coaches could have done what he has the last two years and his name is drawing recruits from all over the country.