• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Michael Porter Commits To Washington

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arizona fans have always been sensitive about UW.
No. I think you're referring to the transition period between Olson and Miller when UW fans thought they were going to replace Arizona as a top tier PAC team. Didn't happen. Its hard to be sensitive about a program you hold a 50-28 advantage over since 1950.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. I think you're referring to the transition period between Olson and Miller when UW fans thought they were going to replace Arizona as a top tier PAC team. Didn't happen. Its hard to be sensitive about a program you hold a 50-28 advantage over since 1950.
Speaking of the Romar era specifically. I only caught the last few years of Bender, and wasn't old enough to remember before that.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The two mocks that have him in the first round are at picks 27 and 28. And he may improve, chances are he will, but he could still improve as a player and not his stock because he's a limited player.

Still his draft position doesn't compare to that of Fultz who's top 3.

Great, 4 of the last 5 to win PAC POY didn't get drafted in the first round. And that was with several lotto pics included.

Bottom line is that you need no two, five, or 12 players on the same team to be better than those two, their five, and their 12, between now and 20 months from now, with your only premise being that Fultz stays. Out of all the other 5-star talent in the league on the same team by then, and the coaches in the Pac that can turn 4-stars into high 5-star, none of that can pan out, and both Fultz and Porter, some other 4 stars and freshmen need to. Like I said, I'll take the field. AZ and UCLA both have top 10 classes coming in, and both could stay in the top 10 the following year. Other schools can come up with combos of talent and coaching, as Oregon and Utah do on a more consistent basis. Any other teams could develop in the next 20 months, and most of the people we are talking about have never played a minute for anyone above. You need all of that to fall through for UW to have what you say they can/will. With where Romar and UW are at compared to what the other schools usually run with, I'll take the field in a heartbeat.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great, 4 of the last 5 to win PAC POY didn't get drafted in the first round. And that was with several lotto pics included.

Bottom line is that you need no two, five, or 12 players on the same team to be better than those two, their five, and their 12, between now and 20 months from now, with your only premise being that Fultz stays. Out of all the other 5-star talent in the league on the same team by then, and the coaches in the Pac that can turn 4-stars into high 5-star, none of that can pan out, and both Fultz and Porter, some other 4 stars and freshmen need to. Like I said, I'll take the field. AZ and UCLA both have top 10 classes coming in, and both could stay in the top 10 the following year. Other schools can come up with combos of talent and coaching, as Oregon and Utah do on a more consistent basis. Any other teams could develop in the next 20 months, and most of the people we are talking about have never played a minute for anyone above. You need all of that to fall through for UW to have what you say they can/will. With where Romar and UW are at compared to what the other schools usually run with, I'll take the field in a heartbeat.

?? What's your point?

And fine, you can take the field...I don't care...

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
?? What's your point?

And fine, you can take the field...I don't care...

Obviously my point is that a player could be the best player in the conference and not get drafted first round. Their skill set transferring to the NBA is not a requisite for being the best player in the conference. You are not even considering that the best player not be a first round draft pic, and it's actually common.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously my point is that a player could be the best player in the conference and not get drafted first round. Their skill set transferring to the NBA is not a requisite for being the best player in the conference. You are not even considering that the best player not be a first round draft pic, and it's actually common.

I thought that was the point you were trying to make. I think that's a particularly stupid point, but that's just me. And if you think Tyler Ulis is more talented/a better player than Ben Simmons, I can't discuss basketball with you anymore.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure that I'm saying that Nick Johnson had a better year than Aaron Gordon in 2014, that Joseph Young had a better year than Stanley Johnson in 2015, and that Allen Crabbe had a better year in 2013 than Shabazz Muhammad. All of those guys were upperclassmen who had a much better college game those years than their freshman competition. Obviously the top pics who didn't get POY are better overall players, and are further along than any of the winners. But at the time, the upperclass winners had a better year than the others as freshmen, in the Pac. Or am I being a homer?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't matter, they still won't make the NCAA tournament. Romar is a hell of a recruiter but is probably the worst coach in college basketball. There program has been in a spiral since Dollar took over Seattle U.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't matter, they still won't make the NCAA tournament. Romar is a hell of a recruiter but is probably the worst coach in college basketball. There program has been in a spiral since Dollar took over Seattle U.

If we don't get results soon I imagine he will be out the door.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we don't get results soon I imagine he will be out the door.

I don't really think you guys necessarily need to fire him, he just doesn't seem to have done a very good job with his staff. Dollar really helped grow players and IMO not many guys have actually got better, more experience but never really better.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure that I'm saying that Nick Johnson had a better year than Aaron Gordon in 2014, that Joseph Young had a better year than Stanley Johnson in 2015, and that Allen Crabbe had a better year in 2013 than Shabazz Muhammad. All of those guys were upperclassmen who had a much better college game those years than their freshman competition. Obviously the top pics who didn't get POY are better overall players, and are further along than any of the winners. But at the time, the upperclass winners had a better year than the others as freshmen, in the Pac. Or am I being a homer?

Not really sure then why you brought this up in the first place? Doesn't contribute anything to the discussion.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really sure then why you brought this up in the first place? Doesn't contribute anything to the discussion.

:L

It means that the best player in the Pac in two years might not be found by looking at the top ten of a recruiting class. A player who is not highly regarded right now could develop into one by then, or even transfer in like Joseph Young did a couple few ago.

Main Point: A lot can happen in the next two years that you can't anticipate right now. It doesn't even have to mean that the developed player is a better athlete at the next level, but they can definitely have a better year in COLLEGE than a lotto-pick after their freshman year. That freshman is being picked on their potential as an athlete in the NBA, not what they did in college for one year. That upperclassmen could have had a better year than the freshman and not mean that they are the better overall athlete than the freshman.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really think you guys necessarily need to fire him, he just doesn't seem to have done a very good job with his staff. Dollar really helped grow players and IMO not many guys have actually got better, more experience but never really better.

We're too busy hiring top recruits fathers so that their kids will sign at UW.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L

It means that the best player in the Pac in two years might not be found by looking at the top ten of a recruiting class. A player who is not highly regarded right now could develop into one by then, or even transfer in like Joseph Young did a couple few ago.

Main Point: A lot can happen in the next two years that you can't anticipate right now. It doesn't even have to mean that the developed player is a better athlete at the next level, but they can definitely have a better year in COLLEGE than a lotto-pick after their freshman year. That freshman is being picked on their potential as an athlete in the NBA, not what they did in college for one year. That upperclassmen could have had a better year than the freshman and not mean that they are the better overall athlete than the freshman.

Just because somebody is given an arbitrary award doesn't mean they are the best player/most talented player in the conference. Joe Young isn't better than Stanley Johnson. I mean Jorge Gutierrez won the Pac 12 player of the year for christ sakes. Give me 5 Stanley Johnson's from his freshman year and you can take 5 Jorge Gutierrez's from the year he won the Pac 12 and my team will kick your teams ass.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just because somebody is given an arbitrary award doesn't mean they are the best player/most talented player in the conference. Joe Young isn't better than Stanley Johnson. I mean Jorge Gutierrez won the Pac 12 player of the year for christ sakes. Give me 5 Stanley Johnson's from his freshman year and you can take 5 Jorge Gutierrez's from the year he won the Pac 12 and my team will kick your teams ass.

If someone were to tell you two years ago who the best duo in the Pac this past year would be, would you have guessed that Elgin Cook and Dillon Brooks were going to be the best duo in the Pac, with the best starting 5, and the winners of the Pac? Would you have seen that coming based on their recruits? Neither of them stood out back then at all. Oregon's recruiting class didn't rank very well in any year around there. They didn't have a single top 10 recruit on the team this past year. And the rest of the Pac had quite a bit of top recruiting talent. And yet there they were.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If someone were to tell you two years ago who the best duo in the Pac this past year would be, would you have guessed that Elgin Cook and Dillon Brooks were going to be the best duo in the Pac, with the best starting 5, and the winners of the Pac? Would you have seen that coming based on their recruits? Neither of them stood out back then at all. Oregon's recruiting class didn't rank very well in any year around there. They didn't have a single top 10 recruit on the team this past year. And the rest of the Pac had quite a bit of top recruiting talent. And yet there they were.

Nope, wouldn't have guessed it, and would have been wrong, big fucking deal. It's my opinion. I actually would have guessed Cal, they finished 3rd, two games back.

With all that said, I'm gonna stick to what I said, and see what happens, if I'm wrong, I'll be here to admit it, but at least I can admit when I'm wrong, unlike you.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, wouldn't have guessed it, and would have been wrong, big fucking deal. It's my opinion. I actually would have guessed Cal, they finished 3rd, two games back.

With all that said, I'm gonna stick to what I said, and see what happens, if I'm wrong, I'll be here to admit it, but at least I can admit when I'm wrong, unlike you.

Well I haven't made any claims on the topic to be right or wrong about, so I'm not sure there will be anything to admit either way.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of the Romar era specifically. I only caught the last few years of Bender, and wasn't old enough to remember before that.
I know. Romar took over in 2002. Olson retired in 2007.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I haven't made any claims on the topic to be right or wrong about, so I'm not sure there will be anything to admit either way.

I was referencing our discussion from earlier this year...