• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Miami Dolphins Off-Season Thread

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And so the off-season begins.

For me atop the list of needs to address:
A new DC who can actually maximize the talent that is at his disposal - injuries or not

A backup QB who can actually push Tannehill and make him better

As usual, lots of issues to fix despite having made it to the playoffs

There is another hump yet to get over -- but some changes must be made

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Moore is better than Tannehill
Come on he's a great backup but thats where he's at right now. I'd like to keep him and groom a good young prospect to push Tanny. Moore wouldn't even survive a season...

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question for any way back history. Does anyone know why Dolphins had to play Steelers at Pitt in 1973 conference championship game? I find it odd they had to play in road since they had better regular season record.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And so the off-season begins.

For me atop the list of needs to address:
A new DC who can actually maximize the talent that is at his disposal - injuries or not

A backup QB who can actually push Tannehill and make him better

As usual, lots of issues to fix despite having made it to the playoffs

There is another hump yet to get over -- but some changes must be made
If those are your biggest needs you are lost sir. The d-line and linebackers need a serious overhaul. Oline will need to be addressed as well. Injuries didn't help this year, but the front seven was awful since day 1.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If those are your biggest needs you are lost sir. The d-line and linebackers need a serious overhaul. Oline will need to be addressed as well. Injuries didn't help this year, but the front seven was awful since day 1.

We are entitled to our opinions. We aren't obligated or required to agree or disagree on a topic. Its not why I am here. I am here to state my opinion -if people agreee, great -- if not, so be it.

Secondly, your point on our front 7 being awful since day 1 is inaccurate based on the facts. Our tackles and ends(Suh, Wake, Jason Jones, Branch etc were the strength of our defense. Even the often clueless people within our fan base knows that.

Our linebackers were the weakest link. So our front overall wasn't awful as you suggest -- just part of it.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are entitled to our opinions. We aren't obligated or required to agree or disagree on a topic. Its not why I am here. I am here to state my opinion -if people agreee, great -- if not, so be it.

Secondly, your point on our front 7 being awful since day 1 is inaccurate based on the facts. Our tackles and ends(Suh, Wake, Jason Jones, Branch etc were the strength of our defense. Even the often clueless people within our fan base knows that.

Our linebackers were the weakest link. So our front overall wasn't awful as you suggest -- just part of it.
in passing situations, yes, the dline performed. However, they were run on at will all year and couldn't set the edge with any consistency.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in passing situations, yes, the dline performed. However, they were run on at will all year and couldn't set the edge with any consistency.

As I always say, the players are ultimately accountable for what happens on the field once the game gets going. But, many of the units issues , such as the one you point out, is really schematic. And our DCs inability to make adjustments and proper use of our guys. Thats why I am rooting for him to get the denver job and the fuck out of here.

For as many plays our defense did make -- they left a lot to be desired given how soft the play calls were in certain situations.

We had our corners/secondary playing way off guys - Our line and ends staying back as opposed to rushing to even attempt to create any pressure.

S.Fla fans are about namesake players -- if the names of the guys on a team are not known, they automatically think they are scrubs -- thats not the case. We have a great deal of talent on that unit , both veteran and young guys -- they've just been held back by the horrific play calling by our current and last DC.

In the right scheme, under the right DC -- this unit can be the ultimate game wreckers in the most relentless of ways.

Calm

What say there fuzzy britches, feel like talkin'?
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree and disagree.

Not starting Wake from Game 1 was a mistake, but after that the DL was the only part of the D that was adequate.

The LB's were a mess all year. Injuries hit them really hard though as evidenced by guys like Paysinger, Hull and Hewitt seeing significant time.

I, for one, hope that Joseph sticks around. There's a reason he's on everyone's HC short list. He just had too many injuries to overcome. Special teamers and practice squad guys starting all over at LB and DB.

The O-Line, when everyone was healthy, was aces. Problem is with Pouncy's hip and Albert's advancing age/nagging injuries, this 5 staying healthy is far from a sure thing. Need to work on depth for sure.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I always say, the players are ultimately accountable for what happens on the field once the game gets going. But, many of the units issues , such as the one you point out, is really schematic. And our DCs inability to make adjustments and proper use of our guys. Thats why I am rooting for him to get the denver job and the fuck out of here.

For as many plays our defense did make -- they left a lot to be desired given how soft the play calls were in certain situations.

We had our corners/secondary playing way off guys - Our line and ends staying back as opposed to rushing to even attempt to create any pressure.

S.Fla fans are about namesake players -- if the names of the guys on a team are not known, they automatically think they are scrubs -- thats not the case. We have a great deal of talent on that unit , both veteran and young guys -- they've just been held back by the horrific play calling by our current and last DC.

In the right scheme, under the right DC -- this unit can be the ultimate game wreckers in the most relentless of ways.
You mentioned that the horrific play calling by the last DC and current DC are causing the poor defensive performance. At what point is it a lack of talent and scheme? 1 more DC? 2?

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mentioned that the horrific play calling by the last DC and current DC are causing the poor defensive performance. At what point is it a lack of talent and scheme? 1 more DC? 2?

I have mentioned scheme as an issue. Thats why I have been critical of our current and last DC. With VJ the biggest issue has been his inability to realize his personnel and make adjustments to what hasn't worked based on that.

I know a lot of this fan base is not sold on the " talent" on this team, especially on the defensive side of the ball but I am almost certain its just a lack of faith in the guys because its a lot of lesser/unknown named players to a lot of the fan base outside of the big name players. My point is, the talent is there -- we just need someone who can better tap into it.

Tony Lippett being one guy who has emerged in spite of some bad penalties and untimely, costly plays in yesterdays elimination.

Our young backup LBs like Hewitt, Paysinger both who emerged beyond special teams when called upon due to our starting LBs going down.

Xavien Howard when healthy showed some good stuff. So, there is enough young talent and veteran talent so thats not an excuse or a factor.

Anyone who has ever read my rants here knows that while I am critical of our DC , I strongly believe it comes down to execution from the players -- But we need a DC that can better bring out the best of that unit.

I will say this, I was at first strongly on board with VJ as our DC and us going young on the defensive side of the football as far as a staff -- but that has failed. So, like I said yesterday - whether it is needing to fill the role because VJ is given the Broncos job or he is fired, etc by Gase and the Dolphins as should really be his way out of here -- AG will do a better job at finding someone who can better bring out the best in the guys on that side of the ball.

Calm

What say there fuzzy britches, feel like talkin'?
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joseph isn't getting fired. No chance. Think about this. D ranked at or near the bottom of the league in yardage allowed. Also:

3rd Down Defense - 4th
Takeaways - 11th (tie)
Points/Game - 15th

All much higher rankings than expected. By contrast, the three teams that allowed more yardage are ranked 32, 30 and 22 in points/game.

And it has nothing to do with "name recognition". Just because guys were forced into playing/starting doesn't mean that they are starting quality players and I wouldn't say any of the LB's forced onto the field really "emerged". Some of them are young and need time and may develop into decent players. But that doesn't mean they are capable players now. I mean look at some of these plays:

A film breakdown of the Dolphins' embarrassing playoff loss to the Steelers.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joseph isn't getting fired. No chance. Think about this. D ranked at or near the bottom of the league in yardage allowed. Also:

3rd Down Defense - 4th
Takeaways - 11th (tie)
Points/Game - 15th

All much higher rankings than expected. By contrast, the three teams that allowed more yardage are ranked 32, 30 and 22 in points/game.

And it has nothing to do with "name recognition". Just because guys were forced into playing/starting doesn't mean that they are starting quality players and I wouldn't say any of the LB's forced onto the field really "emerged". Some of them are young and need time and may develop into decent players. But that doesn't mean they are capable players now. I mean look at some of these plays:

A film breakdown of the Dolphins' embarrassing playoff loss to the Steelers.
I agree he could only do so much with all of the injuries plus guys like Mario Williams stunk the joint out he couldn't even play him.

Look at the first two TD's FS Thomas takes a horrific line to the WR and misses an easy tackle. Did the DC tell him to do this? Of course not it was a back up player who's slower and less reactive than the starter. Same thing on second TD Rambo didn't react quick enough to a slant and was way out of position then took a horrible line to the WR. Do you think that the DC coached this?

I don't believe that the dline was that bad it's the LB's they are supposed to clean up and they consistently went to the wrong areas or couldn't tackle.

I do agree that there is talent but with all of the injuries it catches up. You can cover for some but not 3/4 of your secondary and 2/3 of an already weak LB unit. Fins depth simply isn't good enough for that most teams aren't.

On occasion I didn't understand why the CB's played so far off but I'm guessing that they simply didn't feel confident in the safeties. You saw what happened on the first TD safety was no where to be found...

I'm still confident that they can fix this with some good FA pick ups and a heavy D draft.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I'm hearing LB Timmins as the FA the Fins should sign. I'm OK with this but I'd also like to see a decent starting OG. Who would everyone else like to see in FA? The draft would fill in the rest with maybe a few more backups signed.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I'm hearing LB Timmons as the FA the Fins should sign. I'm OK with this but I'd also like to see a decent starting OG. Who would everyone else like to see in FA? The draft would fill in the rest with maybe a few more backups signed.
This would really bum me out... Was hopin to see Law Dog back in PIT to close out his career. Steelers were supposedly "in talks" with him prior to the AB deal, but nothing else was ever reported. Timmons must want more than the Steelers are willing to pay. Thought he may give PIT a hometown discount for a chance to make a run at another Super Bowl. Guess not!

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This would really bum me out... Was hopin to see Law Dog back in PIT to close out his career. Steelers were supposedly "in talks" with him prior to the AB deal, but nothing else was ever reported. Timmons must want more than the Steelers are willing to pay. Thought he may give PIT a hometown discount for a chance to make a run at another Super Bowl. Guess not!
Well its far from a sure thing but apparently they are meeting with him so we'll see. The Fins really need a vet LB so I think that it would be a good move...pick up another in the draft and they'd be set. Need a OG desperately too.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we should go after Gerald Hodges.
I don't know much about him but anyone would be an improvement prob cheaper than Timmons too.

So far kept a few of their own which is a good move shows the players that if you perform you'll get paid and not shipped out for a cheaper player. Hopefully it works!