• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mesoraco "news"

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RotoWire posted this.
I think it's odd that their interpretation of Barnhart's hitting was "little of note."

Reds' Devin Mesoraco: Expected to catch in 2017
by RotoWire Staff | Special to CBSSports.com
The Reds plan to have Mesoraco (hip, shoulder) back behind the plate next season.

Following a breakout campaign in 2014, Mesoraco has combined to play in just 39 games over the past two seasons as he's required significant surgery on both hip and his left shoulder. He is expected to be ready to resume catching duties in mid-to-late January and Mesoraco is still just 28, but there are doubts about his ability to hold up to the rigors of catching duties. Tucker Barnhart took over for Mesoraco in 2016 and filled in capably behind the dish, but did little of note with the bat.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mesoraco's status would have to be viewed the same if not worse than it was entering 2016 ST. The additional two surgeries aren't a bonus and his age isn't a positive given the severity of his injuries and the brutality of the defensive position.

He hit for power throughout the 2014 season, but his BA was misleading due to one great month. He went 27 for 54 to start the season and hit mid .230's the next 300+ AB's. He's a career .237 hitter before the injuries and I find it unlikely he's going to be trending upward. The $20M he's owed doesn't help.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we were comparing Mesoraco and Barnhart in their prime, healthy and productive, Mesoraco provides more offense as a power threat. But, is he going to be that guy that hit 25 HR's, or a .230 hitter with declining power numbers?

I not sure if either Mesoraco or Barnhart individually will provide above league average offense for a catcher. I tend to think they'll end up splitting time, but it would be a major boost if Mesoraco was healthy and productive.