• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Men's Hoops (Buzzketball!) Week 1

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The new era of Hokies Basketball tips off this Friday followed by another game on Wednesday.

Friday vs Maryland-Eastern Shore @ 7pm

Wed (Nov 19) vs Liberty @ 7pm

My guess is the only viewing option is ESPN3 so just search the internet till you find something.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:yahoo: something to be hopeful about!

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking good early. Just noticed this on ESPN
tgAU4AY.png

That Justin Bibbe guy isn't very good, but Justin Bibbs hit two jumpers.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We looked good on offense to start out. We made a lot of good cuts off screens and driving the lane. Then they switched to a 2-3 zone and now we can't hit the side of a barn. I think it was Hill? took two threes that didn't even hit rim. We're also 2-6 from the line.

Our defense has been good but then we get possessions where we get stuck on off ball screens and their shooters get open. We've also let some guys get wide open. We've also allowed a lot of offensive boards.

We started out great and then got stagnant. Just hope we come back out in the 2nd half like we started the game.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So how'd we look overall? I didn't get home in time to see any of the game tonight. All I got is the stat sheet and its about what I expected considering it is MD-ES. Only thing that is surprising to me is the sheet says (from ESPN) that we started 3 guards (Muller, Wilson, Smith) and 2 centers (JVZ and Pierce). Interesting line up if that's true.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So how'd we look overall? I didn't get home in time to see any of the game tonight. All I got is the stat sheet and its about what I expected considering it is MD-ES. Only thing that is surprising to me is the sheet says (from ESPN) that we started 3 guards (Muller, Wilson, Smith) and 2 centers (JVZ and Pierce). Interesting line up if that's true.
We started Mueller, Wilson, Smith, JVZ and Bibbs. There was a lot of substitutions throughout the game.

I thought we looked sloppy but played well.

Our offense was pretty good. We had a lot of good cuts and dribble penetration. We kind of faded after a quick start on the first half. They went to 2-3 zone and we couldn't hit any jumpers. However, we came out fast in the second half. It looks like Hudson is the second PG when Wilson goes off the floor. Its really nice having so many ball handlers on the floor and not having Jarrell Eddie play PG just to give Wilson a breather.

Our defense was very good but there were a few times where we struggled through an off ball screen or missed a rotation. These resulted in a wide open layup or 3 point shot. JVZ is definitely the better defensive big but Pierce may have the better offensive touch.

All the freshmen played pretty well, but Justin Bibbs and Muller impressed me the most. Muller has a good outside shot and showed some great quickness and good dribble moves getting it to the track.

Our defensive rebounding was pretty bad though. We were also 17-29 from the FT line.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We started Mueller, Wilson, Smith, JVZ and Bibbs. There was a lot of substitutions throughout the game.

I thought we looked sloppy but played well.

Our offense was pretty good. We had a lot of good cuts and dribble penetration. We kind of faded after a quick start on the first half. They went to 2-3 zone and we couldn't hit any jumpers. However, we came out fast in the second half. It looks like Hudson is the second PG when Wilson goes off the floor. Its really nice having so many ball handlers on the floor and not having Jarrell Eddie play PG just to give Wilson a breather.

Our defense was very good but there were a few times where we struggled through an off ball screen or missed a rotation. These resulted in a wide open layup or 3 point shot. JVZ is definitely the better defensive big but Pierce may have the better offensive touch.

All the freshmen played pretty well, but Justin Bibbs and Muller impressed me the most. Muller has a good outside shot and showed some great quickness and good dribble moves getting it to the track.

Our defensive rebounding was pretty bad though. We were also 17-29 from the FT line.

I learned that it's Mueller if you don't have an umlaut handy, otherwise Malik prefers Müller. :yo:

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost halftime and Liberty is putting up a good fight. VT leads 28-24 with 3 mins till halftime.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tech leads at the half 31-28.

It's the first game I've watched and what immediately stands out is how much better this squad plays as a team. While not perfect, their man to man defense is quicker and they're all moving and adjusting together. And offensively, the ball isn't sticking anywhere for too long. There's activity going on. There's definitely kinks as to be expected but this is such an encouraging sign if this is already a baseline for them this early into Buzz's tenure.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough to gauge the team as its only the 2nd college game for so many of them, but I definitely agree that you can already see that they're more well coached than past VT teams.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tech leads at the half 31-28.

It's the first game I've watched and what immediately stands out is how much better this squad plays as a team. While not perfect, their man to man defense is quicker and they're all moving and adjusting together. And offensively, the ball isn't sticking anywhere for too long. There's activity going on. There's definitely kinks as to be expected but this is such an encouraging sign if this is already a baseline for them this early into Buzz's tenure.
My problem with our defense is that we have over rotated a few times and left the shooter wide open. Liberty has mostly been shooting jumpers and its the only reason the score is even close. They have gotten nothing inside. I think its something that will definitely improve as they get more games under their belt.

I love our offense. Lots of dribble penetration with kickouts. Lots of good backdoor cuts. I guess that's a benefit with having 4 guards on the floor. We have also done a really good job rebounding from the guard spot.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If VT could shoot free throws, this wouldn't have seemed nearly as close.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My problem with our defense is that we have over rotated a few times and left the shooter wide open. Liberty has mostly been shooting jumpers and its the only reason the score is even close. They have gotten nothing inside. I think its something that will definitely improve as they get more games under their belt.

I love our offense. Lots of dribble penetration with kickouts. Lots of good backdoor cuts. I guess that's a benefit with having 4 guards on the floor. We have also done a really good job rebounding from the guard spot.

Yeah, you're right about the rotations. You just gotta chalk that up to youthful inexperience.

It was good to see us come away with the W here. It was a sloppy game at times and Liberty kept it interesting, but we never let any of that bring our energy and effort down. When not turning it over, we shot really really well. The lead could have been much larger. I liked what I saw so far. Clean up a few things and I'm positive this team will give better teams much more than they expect and maybe even pull an upset or two

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
32-0 (or whatever number of games we play in the reg. season).

Book. It. Buzzketball... ok, haha, I get it now. I see whacha did there.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
32-0 (or whatever number of games we play in the reg. season).

Book. It. Buzzketball... ok, haha, I get it now. I see whacha did there.

The jinx is strong within me. Next game, big time L. I freaken amaze even myself sometimes.