• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Men's Basketball vs. UVA, 2/18/14 9pm ACCN

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't it rumored that Wood is planning to transfer after the season?

guess that would explain it, I wonder if a new coach would change his mind...

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't blame JJ for not playing certain players. In the games Wood has played in, I didn't see anything impressive from him. In fact, he looked lost out there. I see guys like Barksdale and JVZ putting in the effort and fighting for loose balls and keeping plays alive....I just haven't seen that from Wood. I don't see it from Eddie either, but he's only in for his shooting ability....well the shooting ability he once had. Hopefully the team can regroup and officially knock NCSU off the bubble this weekend.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't blame JJ for not playing certain players. In the games Wood has played in, I didn't see anything impressive from him. In fact, he looked lost out there. I see guys like Barksdale and JVZ putting in the effort and fighting for loose balls and keeping plays alive....I just haven't seen that from Wood. I don't see it from Eddie either, but he's only in for his shooting ability....well the shooting ability he once had. Hopefully the team can regroup and officially knock NCSU off the bubble this weekend.

I still feel that Eddie has given up. Barksdale has been giving it his all lately, I love it. JVZ too. I don't have a problem with his decision on Wood, but I don't think he should be benched entirely. We have a very limited bench due to our constant injury bug....we've shown that we cannot finish games strong, likely because the guys are flat out exhausted towards the end. The either need to be conditioned to play 3/4+ each game, or JJ needs to be willing to put some fresh bodies on the court a little more to get the guys a break

Minutes played last night:
Starters:
Eddie, 29
JVZ, 28
Thompson, 22
Wilson, 37
Emelogu, 26

Bench:
Beyer, 1
Raines, 11
Barksdale, 18
Johnston, 28
Wood, 0

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wood could have taken some of Johnston's minutes. But I'm not sure we'll see Wood on the court again. Other than that, I don't know whose minutes you could significantly change that would have made much difference. Wilson was the only one that played 30+, and we don't really have anyone that can spell him right now.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wood could have taken some of Johnston's minutes. But I'm not sure we'll see Wood on the court again. Other than that, I don't know whose minutes you could significantly change that would have made much difference. Wilson was the only one that played 30+, and we don't really have anyone that can spell him right now.

Emelogu probably should have played a few more minutes...he's a streaky shooter, but you have to hope he gets hot. He needs to learn what is a good shot though....he looked a little like Adam Smith last night!

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:scratch: are you referring to the shoes?

edit: never mind, you're talking about the fans, right?

Yep. The fans. My bad. Somehow left that out while typing. It happens more often than it should that the fans are instructed to wear a color that's shared by the opponent.

As for the minutes talk, best thing given the players we have would be to cut Johnston's minutes and play a bigger line up. I don't want to sound like I hate the kid because he tries hard with what he has but he just shouldn't be playing that many minutes at this level. I guess JJ feels the need to play him since we're down on guards (Smith being hurt and Rankin leaving). But what he should do is play big. Have Wilson/Emelogu split time at point, move Eddie to SG, and play a front court of Thompson, Barksdale, and JVG. Then use Wood around 15ish minutes off the bench, Raines and the rest of the roster to sub in minimal minutes for rest. The bigger line up would actually give us an advantage when we play 2-3 zone because that's a ton of length (arms, height) to pass into and shoot over. And we should just play 2-3 zone primarily from here on out because JJ has yet to teach any of the players the basics to defend in man to man. Our zone still isn't pretty, but its serviceable and that big line up would help better.