• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

McLeod restructured contract

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the restructuring of McLeod's deal, maybe another signing of a veteran in the works? Stay tuned.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very interesting. McLeod didn't give up any real money apparently, but by doing this and a few other small moves they should be able to sign all the rookies and stay under the cap.

McLeod has to prove he is worth all the money he is making this season or I could see him getting cut. He is way overpaid for basically average level safety play.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I think we'll draft a young safety next year. To replace both, as Malcom is getting older, and McLeod is just average. I'm not knocking McLeod because he was an upgrade over Allen.

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're just kicking the can down the road... creating short-term flexibility. Unless he's All-Pro this year I'd be surprised if McLeod is here after this season, for financial reasons. Should have kept Rowe and moved him to Safety.

Premium

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The deal evidently converts $3.25M of his $4M 2017 salary into a bonus that will then be for cap purposes charged off at $800k and change over the next 4 years. Same amount of money spent this year, just charged against future cap years.

Practically, it makes it a little less desirable to cut the guy any time soon as the cap hit comes back to the current year when you do.

McCleod was evidently rated as the 29th best coverage safety this past year by PFF....basically a middle of the road player.

Just another case where Howie is spending future money today to maintain a team predicted to finish between 15th and 23rd by most experts. According to Spotrac.com the Eagles are currently ranked 30th in cap space for 2018 and 32nd in 2019.

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The deal evidently converts $3.25M of his $4M 2017 salary into a bonus that will then be for cap purposes charged off at $800k and change over the next 4 years. Same amount of money spent this year, just charged against future cap years.

Practically, it makes it a little less desirable to cut the guy any time soon as the cap hit comes back to the current year when you do.

McCleod was evidently rated as the 29th best coverage safety this past year by PFF....basically a middle of the road player.

Just another case where Howie is spending future money today to maintain a team predicted to finish between 15th and 23rd by most experts. According to Spotrac.com the Eagles are currently ranked 30th in cap space for 2018 and 32nd in 2019.

and I thought I was a negadelphian...

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Howie must have screwed you over pretty bad. Your obsession with nitpicking every decision he makes is laughable.

You focus on one part only and never really look at the big pictue when it comes to finding ways to bash Howie. You don't know shit about the salary cap but then again most of us do not either. However you ignored the fact that the restructure will make it easy to move McLeod before 2019. McLeod is a good saftey better against the pass than against the run. His deal is basically a 3 year deal for $7 mil per. That is well below the Franchise ($11.6m) and Transition ($9.3M) tag numbers. On top of that the last couple years of his deal will be good deals for the Eagles because the costs will definately go up. He is not getting paid top safety money and he is not gettin crap pay as well. He is in the middle which is where he belongs.

As far as spending future money goes, you don't know what you are talking about. You do not know what the Eagles plan on doing in the future and admittedly neither do I. However if there is one thing the Eagles are very, very good at it is manipulating the salary cap. The Eagles seem to get a shitload of money every year for incentives that were not earned added back to their cap. So the Sportrac 2018 and 2019 numbers are irrelevent because they are going to change.

What makes your argument about 2018 and 2019 ranking so dumb is you only looked at the ranking and did not take into account any content. It is funny how you will read an article and read between the lines but would not do the same thing when you looked at the team salary rankings. If you had you would realize how stupid the argument is. In 2018 the Eagles have $181 mil in contracts. That is $13 mil over the cap if you use this years money. That more than likely means there are a good number of players that have ridiculous salaries that they will not see. Teams do this all the time. Same think for 2019 but they are not over the cap.

The Eagles will not have any problems getting under the cap and within the next 2 years they will should be finished erasing the stench of Chip Kelly.

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nowhere near former Eagles fan, DPD. A Chip lover.

I too thought Chip would be awesome. I remember that first game against the Skins where it looked like men vs boys... and then the rest of the league caught up and Chip couldn't adjust. Then he fucked the team.

Premium

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amazed people actually want to defend the record and performance of Howie Roseman! Spending the most money for an average team is always bad.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amazed people actually want to defend the record and performance of Howie Roseman! Spending the most money for an average team is always bad.

No one here is really defending Howie. What we are doing is responding to the fact that you use only a few contracts to try to say how bad Howie is. Your arguments in this matter is really stupid if we are being honest. I personally am not a fan of Howie and have always maintained that. However he has done a good job of fixing the shithole that Chip left. It is still a work in progress and within a couple years the Eagles wil be legit contenders IMO. You have to spend money to be successful in the NFL. The Eagles have hit and miss just like every other team in the NFL has. When you look at the entire list you can see we are not that far off from most of the NFL. NFL 2017 Cap Tracker Like I said.....we have had misses and so have every other team.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These teams have oodles of money to spend ... they don't spend more because there's a cap which the Eagles are great at maneuvering. Overpay is a relative term ... they're not losing any sleep over "eating" money (which again they have oodles of) on players like Chase D as long as they can work around things later (which they always do). We went into this off season supposedly not having cap space, yet still worked around it for free agents and trades without a problem.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These teams have oodles of money to spend ... they don't spend more because there's a cap which the Eagles are great at maneuvering. Overpay is a relative term ... they're not losing any sleep over "eating" money (which again they have oodles of) on players like Chase D as long as they can work around things later (which they always do). We went into this off season supposedly not having cap space, yet still worked around it for free agents and trades without a problem.

Yup......I personally think the Chase Daniels signing was stupid and for way too much money. With that said you are dead on. We managed to get two good receivers.....will have enough players to sign all our draft picks and the future looks bright.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Daniel signing looked dumb to many of us, but we don't know how much impact he had on Carson. Plus, his contract didn't keep Howe from signing any free agents (that we know of).

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Premium

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Eagles know how to manipulate the cap. They are good at getting players they want. Nothing has stopped them since Lurie has purchased the team in obtaining their target and there is no reason to believe they won't continue to do so.

Joe Banner was excellent at manipulating the Cap and put them in an advantageous position with it for years. He negotiated good contracts, cut players not worth the money, and routinely found ways to fully use the dollars by carrying money forward in creative ways.

The pattern you see over the last several years is very different than the Banner years. They are now significantly forward spending on the cap to retain and pay average talent with average results. Its a different team playing the game in a very different way.

It is a strategy that can make sense when you need a couple of players or want to extend the competitiveness on a good team. It's not generally the right strategy to take with a young QB. It is a win now strategy with a 2nd year QB. If it works, they will not be in position to retain all the pieces they are paying for. If it doesn't they will find themselves in a Cap hole financially that will take a couple of years to square away.

I applaud Lurie for spending the money. I just think it is being poorly spent, and if that is so, Howie will likely pay the price with his job as will Pederson.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Banner was excellent at manipulating the Cap and put them in an advantageous position with it for years. He negotiated good contracts, cut players not worth the money, and routinely found ways to fully use the dollars by carrying money forward in creative ways.

The pattern you see over the last several years is very different than the Banner years. They are now significantly forward spending on the cap to retain and pay average talent with average results. Its a different team playing the game in a very different way.

It is a strategy that can make sense when you need a couple of players or want to extend the competitiveness on a good team. It's not generally the right strategy to take with a young QB. It is a win now strategy with a 2nd year QB. If it works, they will not be in position to retain all the pieces they are paying for. If it doesn't they will find themselves in a Cap hole financially that will take a couple of years to square away.

I applaud Lurie for spending the money. I just think it is being poorly spent, and if that is so, Howie will likely pay the price with his job as will Pederson.

Joe Banner?