• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

McClure Must Go

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why did Klentak keep Bob McClure on as pitching coach when Klentak took over in 2015? McClure was hired by Amaro Jr. before the 2014 season. He had been the pitching coach for the Kansas City Royals from 2006-2011, and over that stretch, the Royals’ staff had the 2nd-worst ERA in baseball. I'm not into sabre metrics but for the record, that staff was 27th out of 30 teams in terms of fWAR and had a FIP that was tied for 3rd-worst. McClure took over as pitching coach for the Boston Red Sox in 2012 before being fired by the team in mid-season after disagreements with then-manager Bobby Valentine.

Therefore, Klentak is less than brilliant. McClure is the wrong guy for a job that requires someone who can work with a young pitching staff and inexperienced catchers, and also instill discipline. Phils’ starters have a 4.84 ERA, 5th-worst in the National League. The Phils have been beaten in the late innings by guys who get paid to hit home runs, guys like Harper. If Rupp is calling a bad game, McCure shares the blame. How can a team give up four consecutive homers in the late innings? Why did Velasquez recently tell reporters, "I’m just clueless right now” ?

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have thought about this issue for a while. Certainly the part about the catcher calling the game. But I really think
that you need some capable talent to work with. McClure seems to be limited in his approach. Mack has problems managing the pen and makes dumb decisions. As fans we are capable of finding fault when things are not working. There doesn't seem to be any relievers worth calling up right now except for Venditte the switch arm guy.
Since he can throw from the left side he could be used in short situations to get a lefty out. It's worth a try.
The Phillies have lost several games due to the weak pen. we could easily have 20 wins by now. All in all the
first improvement must come from the pen. The problem of losing can become a habit after a while. The whole
team gets frustrated along with the fans. Improve the pen and we will have better results. IMO.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the stats I cited say he must go. Klentak can buy him a plane ticket this weekend and then comb the majors for some qualified HOF pitcher who needs a job.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the stats I cited say he must go. Klentak can buy him a plane ticket this weekend and then comb the majors for some qualified HOF pitcher who needs a job.
Not going to happen. Klentak thinks he did a good job with KC. The grapevine says that nothing is going to change for now. This is going to be a slow and painful process. A new winning streak would be good. One can always hope!

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just heard that Nava wnt on the 10 day DL. They called up Morgan to pitch in the pen. His ERA is around 8.00
They should have called Venditte, but then again he is pitching lights out. More planned failure ahead.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Made a mistake. Morgans ERA is 10.50.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2