• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Max Kellerman on Saban contract

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if anyone caught this but Max Kellerman, who I can't stand, did a short bit on Sabans contract and just coaching contracts in general. For once, I actually agree with him. My gf is a 5th year teacher in the joke of a state of Oklahoma and she makes 28k a year. The last I checked, I think Bob Stoops makes 7mil a year, I think, and if that's the case, he makes 250x more than my gf who is teaching our 3rd and 4th grade kids. She's no different than any other teacher that is busting their ass teaching our little shits who don't listen in class.

I went to Oklahoma State and in that time frame I racked up 30k in student loan debt and the per semester charges went up dramatically from my first day to my last. I guess what I'm asking is, is he right? Do we in society put entertainment over priorities like education?

WAIT WAIT, You went to Oklahoma St but you are a Sooner fan??

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah, that's professors and school employees.

Money in College Athletics: The Coach's Salary

Most schools with these exorbitant coaching paychecks are schools that make money off of televised games, merchandise, ticket prices, etc. They also can be recipients of huge endowments to the athletic departments only, money that can’t really be touched by students who aren’t athletes.

You would be as right as anyone else, unless you can prove where each state and federal dollar goes dollar to dollar. Go ahead.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not at all. Like some posters have mentioned, major schools like Bama do not use tax payer money to pay their football coach. I know at Texas our entire athletic department is a self supporting auxiliary, meaning zero tax dollars are used/given to the athletic department. All money comes from private contributions, ticket sales, merchandise sales, etc. There are 5-7 boosters who pay Tom Herman's salary, FYI......

But major schools like bama and texas still receive tax payer money. So saying they don't use tax payer $$ could be proven false considering they recieve it and dollar to dollar no one can prove where it goes.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But major schools like bama and texas still receive tax payer money. So saying they don't use tax payer $$ could be proven false considering they recieve it and dollar to dollar no one can prove where it goes.

I think the taxpayer money in the AD is like 2-5 million on the 160 million in revenue for Alabama.

I'm guessing it's about the same for Texas.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Europe does that for soccer. And they play much more soccer matches than we do football games.

Oxford Sells out 100k seat stadium playing soccer? I call BS

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oxford Sells out 100k seat stadium playing soccer? I call BS

University athletics aren't really a thing there. If you're not in a pro system by the time you're 17 you're not going to be playing pro anyways.

The Crimson King

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Believe it or not, they actually tell teachers in Oklahoma that the average is 40k a year. What they're not telling them is that is if you have been teaching for 20 years.

That being said, I agree with you. I'm just pointing out that these coaches don't deserve this pay. Nobody is getting anything out of it. I've never been to the Alabama campus, I'm sure it's very nice. I wonder if the 4 national championships he brought to Tuscaloosa improved the campus, increased professor salaries, lowered tuition and increased community revenue. These are the only things that in my mind would be beneficial from wealth from sports.
LMAO :L

The answer is yes. Saban is vastly underpaid

*except for lowering tuition......that's not happening

The Crimson King

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But she chose that career. No one forced her to choose it. All the stats have been out about low teacher pay for decades now. Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for her, but you are making the same argument the "$15 dollar an hour" crowd makes. If the pay is too low, than it might be time to choose another profession. I know, it's easier said than done.
This. She must not be smart enough to get a better job???

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
giphy.gif
Nailed it.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck Nick sabans salary, how much are the boosters paying those fucking recruits. That's the real story. You're a 5 star basicly. You'd start at just about anywhere. You go to bama to sit for couple years. Hahaha yeah right. $$$$$
Probably as much as Oklahoma boosters were paying players back in the day, especially when you take into account inflation.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably as much as Oklahoma boosters were paying players back in the day, especially when you take into account inflation.

I wish we'd start paying a little again.

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if anyone caught this but Max Kellerman, who I can't stand, did a short bit on Sabans contract and just coaching contracts in general. For once, I actually agree with him. My gf is a 5th year teacher in the joke of a state of Oklahoma and she makes 28k a year. The last I checked, I think Bob Stoops makes 7mil a year, I think, and if that's the case, he makes 250x more than my gf who is teaching our 3rd and 4th grade kids. She's no different than any other teacher that is busting their ass teaching our little shits who don't listen in class.

I went to Oklahoma State and in that time frame I racked up 30k in student loan debt and the per semester charges went up dramatically from my first day to my last. I guess what I'm asking is, is he right? Do we in society put entertainment over priorities like education?
HELL TO THE YES

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
University athletics aren't really a thing there. If you're not in a pro system by the time you're 17 you're not going to be playing pro anyways.

That's my pt

Yippy ki yay
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,940.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bob Stoops at 7 million and Saban at 11 million is a steal. Would love to see the numbers on revenue from tickets, merchandise and the effect on the local and even state economy from bars to gifts en sech.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to put this into perspective. Name another country that could fill 100k seat stadium to watch college kids play a sport
College sports aren't a big thing in the rest of the world.

The reason why they're so big in the US is because you have large swaths of the country with no pro sports. Who do people in Alabama, or Oklahoma for that matter, root for in the NFL. Until OKC had a franchise, how about basketball. This was even truer when these pro leagues first formed. They had a handful of teams, mostly in the east.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not true. Oklahomas football program pays for pretty much all OU athletics and that includes Bob's salary. They pay him that much because he produces profit many times his salary.
With the exception of the top schools in the country, and blue blooded programs, most school football programs lose money. So the idea that big time football pays for everything else isn't really true, except at a handful of places.