• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Max Kellerman on Saban contract

sooner4life130

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not sure if anyone caught this but Max Kellerman, who I can't stand, did a short bit on Sabans contract and just coaching contracts in general. For once, I actually agree with him. My gf is a 5th year teacher in the joke of a state of Oklahoma and she makes 28k a year. The last I checked, I think Bob Stoops makes 7mil a year, I think, and if that's the case, he makes 250x more than my gf who is teaching our 3rd and 4th grade kids. She's no different than any other teacher that is busting their ass teaching our little shits who don't listen in class.

I went to Oklahoma State and in that time frame I racked up 30k in student loan debt and the per semester charges went up dramatically from my first day to my last. I guess what I'm asking is, is he right? Do we in society put entertainment over priorities like education?

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to put this into perspective. Name another country that could fill 100k seat stadium to watch college kids play a sport

Reactions: TJL

sooner4life130

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just to put this into perspective. Name another country that could fill 100k seat stadium to watch college kids play a sport

Isn't Europe into Club sports rather than College sports?

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if anyone caught this but Max Kellerman, who I can't stand, did a short bit on Sabans contract and just coaching contracts in general. For once, I actually agree with him. My gf is a 5th year teacher in the joke of a state of Oklahoma and she makes 28k a year. The last I checked, I think Bob Stoops makes 7mil a year, I think, and if that's the case, he makes 250x more than my gf who is teaching our 3rd and 4th grade kids. She's no different than any other teacher that is busting their ass teaching our little shits who don't listen in class.

I went to Oklahoma State and in that time frame I racked up 30k in student loan debt and the per semester charges went up dramatically from my first day to my last. I guess what I'm asking is, is he right? Do we in society put entertainment over priorities like education?

You went to Okie jr and you're a Sooner fan? HUH???

Reactions: TJL

sooner4life130

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You went to Okie jr and you're a Sooner fan? HUH???

lol I did. I have family there and my mom was sick so I decided to at the time to live with her and take care of her so she could be close to them. I actually don't dislike OSU for the most part. Their fans can be annoying haters but outside of that, it's a great place.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I grow tired of reading the posts on facebook that say, "A teacher makes (such and such)" or "A policeman/EMT makes (such and such), and "we pay our coaches how many millions?" They often follow up with how messed up this is.

It's simply a capitalist society thing. Teaching kids is a drain on society's resources...a good drain, but a drain nonetheless. A good head coach that creates a successful football program, even at the high school levels, will many times pay for himself and his entire coaching staff, as well as thousands more. At the college level, it often brings in millions for the school from football related things, and will often bring in millions of dollars from added student enrollment from kids that want to attend a school with good sports programs as well.

I love teachers (I taught 4th grade for 4 years and 5th grade for 2 years), and even with the low pay, it is still a pretty amazing job. I spent a lot of late nights, and some weekend nights, prepping and grading, but I officially worked only 190 days a year. I often got 2-3 days for Fall Break, 3 days for Thanksgiving, 2 weeks for Christmas, 1 week for Winter Break, 1 week for Spring Break, and about 10 weeks off in the Summer....as well as all national holidays. On top of that I had 5 personal days I could use each year, and 5 sick days. Yeah, I wasn't making much, but on the flip side I had A LOT of time off. I can understand the gripes about pay, but there likely isn't a job with nearly as much time off as that of a teacher.

TJL

Patriarch
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see the correlation between coaching football and teaching.

College football coaches bring in good players, who create good teams, who create a wealth of money.

Teachers are paid by us, the tax payers, and they know this going in.

So unless you are proposing higher taxes for the average person, along with tax cuts for teachers, I don't really

see how this coincides with Nick Saban.

sooner4life130

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I grow tired of reading the posts on facebook that say, "A teacher makes (such and such)" or "A policeman/EMT makes (such and such), and "we pay our coaches how many millions?" They often follow up with how messed up this is.

It's simply a capitalist society thing. Teaching kids is a drain on society's resources...a good drain, but a drain nonetheless. A good head coach that creates a successful football program, even at the high school levels, will many times pay for himself and his entire coaching staff, as well as thousands more. At the college level, it often brings in millions for the school from football related things, and will often bring in millions of dollars from added student enrollment from kids that want to attend a school with good sports programs as well.
I get what you're saying but I have little faith that profit in the money gained from the athletic programs is actually helping in the classroom. I cant speak for any other school but OSU. I can tell you for a fact that there were MANY buildings that literally looked like they havent had any repairs since the 60's. I can only think of one new classroom building that was built in the two years I went to school there and the four years I lived in Stillwater. Gundy makes probably around 5 or 6 mil a year and they generally fill up their stadium every saturday. You can say all day long that these coaches are helping bring in money but to where? It sure as hell isn't to the community and damn sure isn't towards the renovation of the school.

I love teachers (I taught 4th grade for 4 years and 5th grade for 2 years), and even with the low pay, it is still a pretty amazing job. I spent a lot of late nights, and some weekend nights, prepping and grading, but I officially worked only 190 days a year. I often got 2-3 days for Fall Break, 3 days for Thanksgiving, 2 weeks for Christmas, 1 week for Winter Break, 1 week for Spring Break, and about 10 weeks off in the Summer....as well as all national holidays. On top of that I had 5 personal days I could use each year, and 5 sick days. Yeah, I wasn't making much, but on the flip side I had A LOT of time off. I can understand the gripes about pay, but there likely isn't a job with nearly as much time off as that of a teacher.
I'm sorry but this just isnt a very objective perspective. My gf has a kid, still has to pay a shit load in insurance for both health and her car, rent, credit cards bc she doesnt make enough, food, gas( she works 30 miles away), and classroom expenses. She has to give up her summers to teach summer school and wait tables because 28k a year isnt enough to take care of a child in 2017.

sooner4life130

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't see the correlation between coaching football and teaching.

College football coaches bring in good players, who create good teams, who create a wealth of money.

Teachers are paid by us, the tax payers, and they know this going in.

So unless you are proposing higher taxes for the average person, along with tax cuts for teachers, I don't really

see how this coincides with Nick Saban.

I could be wrong but arent tax payers also paying college coaches?

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry but this just isnt a very objective perspective. My gf has a kid, still has to pay a shit load in insurance for both health and her car, rent, credit cards bc she doesnt make enough, food, gas( she works 30 miles away), and classroom expenses. She has to give up her summers to teach summer school and wait tables because 28k a year isnt enough to take care of a child in 2017.

But she chose that career. No one forced her to choose it. All the stats have been out about low teacher pay for decades now. Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for her, but you are making the same argument the "$15 dollar an hour" crowd makes. If the pay is too low, than it might be time to choose another profession. I know, it's easier said than done.

TJL

Patriarch
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could be wrong but arent tax payers also paying college coaches?
Nah, that's professors and school employees.

Money in College Athletics: The Coach's Salary

Most schools with these exorbitant coaching paychecks are schools that make money off of televised games, merchandise, ticket prices, etc. They also can be recipients of huge endowments to the athletic departments only, money that can’t really be touched by students who aren’t athletes.

sooner4life130

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
But she chose that career. No one forced her to choose it. All the stats have been out about low teacher pay for decades now. Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for her, but it is the same argument the "$15 dollar an hour" crowd make.

Believe it or not, they actually tell teachers in Oklahoma that the average is 40k a year. What they're not telling them is that is if you have been teaching for 20 years.

That being said, I agree with you. I'm just pointing out that these coaches don't deserve this pay. Nobody is getting anything out of it. I've never been to the Alabama campus, I'm sure it's very nice. I wonder if the 4 national championships he brought to Tuscaloosa improved the campus, increased professor salaries, lowered tuition and increased community revenue. These are the only things that in my mind would be beneficial from wealth from sports.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Believe it or not, they actually tell teachers in Oklahoma that the average is 40k a year. What they're not telling them is that is if you have been teaching for 20 years.

That being said, I agree with you. I'm just pointing out that these coaches don't deserve this pay. Nobody is getting anything out of it. I've never been to the Alabama campus, I'm sure it's very nice. I wonder if the 4 national championships he brought to Tuscaloosa improved the campus, increased professor salaries, lowered tuition and increased community revenue. These are the only things that in my mind would be beneficial from wealth from sports.

Not true. Oklahomas football program pays for pretty much all OU athletics and that includes Bob's salary. They pay him that much because he produces profit many times his salary.

sooner4life130

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not true. Oklahomas football program pays for pretty much all OU athletics and that includes Bob's salary. They pay him that much because he produces profit many times his salary.

I'm sure it does help pay for the athletics but I think that's what Max Kellerman was asking about.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, this whole discussion was about Max Kellerman asking if entertainment was a higher priority than education.

Let me put it this way. Shut down the Alabama or OU football program and see how literally everything else that it finds is affected.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's a good call, I too have never been to Alabama's campus but I would venture to say:

1) I'd bet the campus has seen some remarkable upgrades the past 10 years. Not only for football, but that benefited the student body.
2) Why should the professors get a bump in salary because the football coach has created a juggernaut program?
3) What if the extra 10's of millions of dollars have helped keep tuition from rising faster than it might otherwise rise? Also, I'm sure there are plenty of students who were attracted to attend Alabama simply because of the football program. That creates more revenue and would likely help keep the overall costs of school more level.
4) I GUARANTEE it has increased community revenue. Parking lots, restaurants, media, bars, etc. are likely to see a large increase of business when Alabama is fielding a top 25 team.

Again, I don't have any numbers to back all that up, just assuming...so maybe Saban and a national championship caliber team each fall doesn't bring in the big money like I thought. I'm just assuming it does, for all the money they are throwing at him.