• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Matt Ryan vs Joe Flacco

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im confused on why the comparison is between a Super Bowl winning QB and a Choke in the playoffs?

The real comparison should be Eli Manning and Joe Flacco because both fall short of the elite status and both have recent Super Bowl wins.

Yeah that is a much better comparison. Both Eli/Flacco put up decent numbers in the regular season but those guys are great at winning games in January.

Let's be real about Matty Ryan. He should still be winless in the playoffs if not for Seattle choking away the final seconds of that game by going to their prevent defense

DaBearsShowPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryan and Flacco will always be compared because they were the first two QBs taken in the 2008 draft.

I understand that but people compare Aaron Roders to Favre all the time. The point is you should be comparing QBs with how they play on the field, not by the year they were drafted.

I would compare Eli to Flacco as they both have won Super Bowl and have made some great comebacks and runs during the playoffs. I would compare Matt Ryan to Matthew Stafford because they put up big numbers during the regular season but choke when they are needed the most.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand where people are coming from with the Eli/Flacco comparison, but Eli has 4 years on Flacco, so that makes it a little tough. Eli always is compared to Ben and Rivers. Luck, RG3, and Wilson will always be compared. Flacco and Ryan will always be compared.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that but people compare Aaron Roders to Favre all the time. The point is you should be comparing QBs with how they play on the field, not by the year they were drafted.

I would compare Eli to Flacco as they both have won Super Bowl and have made some great comebacks and runs during the playoffs. I would compare Matt Ryan to Matthew Stafford because they put up big numbers during the regular season but choke when they are needed the most.

Well...I guess we are talking about different kinds of comparisons. Let's put it this way...Flacco and Ryan will always be linked.

DaBearsShowPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand where people are coming from with the Eli/Flacco comparison, but Eli has 4 years on Flacco, so that makes it a little tough. Eli always is compared to Ben and Rivers. Luck, RG3, and Wilson will always be compared. Flacco and Ryan will always be compared.

The years they have been in the league make no difference since they have both proven they could play and win. Like I said before people shouldnt be comparing Rodgers to Favre if they are going by your "rule" but everyone does that all the time. You compare people with the same skill set and the way they produce on the field, not by the years they were drafted.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The years they have been in the league make no difference since they have both proven they could play and win. Like I said before people shouldnt be comparing Rodgers to Favre if they are going by your "rule" but everyone does that all the time. You compare people with the same skill set and the way they produce on the field, not by the years they were drafted.

It's a different comparison. Favre and Rodgers would never be compared if they both didn't play in Green Bay.

DaBearsShowPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...I guess we are talking about different kinds of comparisons. Let's put it this way...Flacco and Ryan will always be linked.

Im comparing by the way they play on the field, not by the year they were drafted. Josh Johnson was drafted the same year as Flacco and Ryan but he isnt compared to them.

DaBearsShowPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a different comparison. Favre and Rodgers would never be compared if they both didn't play in Green Bay.

They are comparing them by what they did on the field and thats just one of the many examples with how Qbs now get compared to Qbs from the past.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are comparing them by what they did on the field and thats just one of the many examples with how Qbs now get compared to Qbs from the past.

Rodgers is compared to Favre for the same reason Luck will always be compared to Peyton.

DaBearsShowPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rodgers is compared to Favre for the same reason Luck will always be compared to Peyton.

Maybe in his rookie season he was compared to Manning but thats to be expected. Qbs like Peyton Manning are rare to find and only compare to the other rare QBs out there like Brady or Rodgers. The only thing Luck and Manning have in common is they both play/ed for the Colts and thats the only thing they could be compared about. Another reason why the on field play is used more to compare players then the year they were drafted or what team they played on. Rodger and Favre both have done amazing things on the field, won Super Bowls, Divison Titles, MVP's, etc.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay...easy with Rodgers. If you are comparing career accomplishments, there is no comparison between Favre and Rodgers. Will Rodgers stack up favorably with Favre at the end of his career? Very possibly, but that is exactly why you can't compare them now.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flacco. But there's not a huge difference. They're probably 5-6 or 6-7 in the NFL.

DaBearsShowPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay...easy with Rodgers. If you are comparing career accomplishments, there is no comparison between Favre and Rodgers. Will Rodgers stack up favorably with Favre at the end of his career? Very possibly, but that is exactly why you can't compare them now.

I already told you I compare players by the way they produce on the field and going back to the original topic Flacco and Ryan are not as comparable as some may think.

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flacco....We'll really see if he's any good now that he has one receiver and no defense.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Here was my post after Matt Ryan blew it yet again in the playoffs against the Niners (before Flacco got a ring):

Matty "Ice" has been throwing to the likes of Julio Jones, Roddy White and Tony Gonzales (#1 receiving corps in the NFL) for years. Has 1 playoff win (just like his twin Tony Romo). In his one playoff win, he almost gave the game away with 2 2nd half interceptions. And he blew it against the Niners at home with a 2nd half pick and fumbling a ball that was snapped directly at his hands.

Joe Flacco has been throwing to the likes of Anquan Boldin (the older version), Torrey Smith, Dennis Pitta, Derrick Mason (the really old version), T.J. Houshmandzadeh (the washed up version), Todd Heap & Mark Clayton. He has 8 playoff wins, and he put the ball in a perfect spot to get his team to the Superbowl last year (Lee Evans screwed him). Whereas Matty "Ice" lucked out that Pete Carroll saved his ass, Flacco had a potential SB appearence literally dropped, and there was nothing he could've done about it.

It's time people understood which one is the better QB.

untitled-4gruxu.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's very close but I would take Matt Ryan. He is more accurate and better decision maker but doesn't have the arm that Flacco has. It just Flacco has had the better Def. to win a SB.

DaBearsShowPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it was just regular season it would be Matt Ryan. If it were just playoffs it would be Joe Flacco. Overall I would still go with my original pick which was Matt Ryan. I think he has more talent, more team support, a lot more potential and will improve those mental mistakes with age. He has shown he could dominate the game but needs to mature and do it on a consistent basis. From what I have personally seen from Flacco I see more inconsistency, doesnt produce as big of plays, less accurate, but finds ways to win. Matt Ryan seems to have more explosion in his game then Flacco does.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
It just Flacco has had the better Def. to win a SB.

That and:

untitled-4gruxu.gif

And the many times we've seen this:

Despite one of the best receiving corps in NFL history.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaBearsShowPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should've traded up for Tavon Austin and became the scariest offense in the league.