• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Matt Moore Traded to Rangers

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

(I don't even remember how to embed tweets anymore, if above fails)

John Shea reported it first.

Jerry Crasnick reported Sam Wolff is one of prospects heading to SF

Sam Wolff

Hand: RHP
Level: AAA
2017 Stats: AAA - 22 2/3 IP, 2.38 ERA, 3.50 FIP, 32/9 K/BB
AA - 20 1/3 IP, 4.53 ERA, 4.20 FIP, 27/10 K/BB
Notes:
- Out until second half of 2018, flexor tendon injury. TEX planned to call him up this year, but injury in August delayed that. Due back in July (Jeff Wilson)
- Missed '15 season with torn achilles

Last edited by a moderator:

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Robert Murray, deal completed. SF also receives RHP Israel Cruz but sends INTL bonus pool money.

Israel Cruz
Throws: RHP
Height: 6'1"
2017 Stats: Rookie ball - 32 IP (12 G, 3 GS), 5.91 ERA, 4.05 FIP, 42/16 K/BB, 6 HBP

Notes:
-
Four years in the minors (Two in Dominican Summer League, two in Arizona League), signed out of Venezuela.

- Last season of 290 pitches thrown, 213 were strikes (73.4 percent)

- BA's Ben Badler listed him as a deep TEX sleeper on Feb. 7, 2016

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sold very low on Moore. Duffy for 2 blah minor leaguers who may never hit the majors and we gave up cash too.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sold very low on Moore. Duffy for 2 blah minor leaguers who may never hit the majors and we gave up cash too.

Probably sold low, but he was extremely bad last year and there was nothing really indicating he should bounce back.

The initial trade will probably always be pretty bad in hindsight. The rate was probably fair at the time, young-ish pitcher controlled for 3 years, and there were a number of suitors for him (including the Dodgers). And Duffy has rarely played since then thanks to an injury he suffered while in a Giants uniform (and was ruptured further with the Rays). Losing Fox will probably be the biggest blow.

But again, hindsight 20/20.

Also the Giants did not give up cash. International bonus pool money is not pocketable. Spend it or lose it.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duffy was not the cost. He was basically done when that trade was made.

The cost was Fox and 2 years of international FAs.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FO must think reasonably well of the competitors for the #4 and #5 starters.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FO must think reasonably well of the competitors for the #4 and #5 starters.
Gregorio doesn’t have options left. I wonder if he actually has the inside track on the #5 spot?

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gregorio doesn’t have options left. I wonder if he actually has the inside track on the #5 spot?
Not Blach and Stratton? I lost a bit of interest with the drop off in success. Did I miss something? Not being sarcastic.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not Blach and Stratton? I lost a bit of interest with the drop off in success. Did I miss something? Not being sarcastic.
Right now, there are two openings in the starting rotation. Unless the Giants bring in a starter or two, Gregorio, Blach, Beede and Stratton will battle it out for those two spots.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now, I think Stratton has squatters rights on the #4 slot. Blach really wasn’t that good last year. The rest of the team sucked so bad, his stench got lost, but he did lose his spot to Stratton at the end.

For the last spot, I think the early contenders are Blach, Suarez, Beede and Gregorio. Blach will likely make the team, but as an Affeldt-lite. Suarez may have the highest ceiling AND be the most ready, he would require a 40 slot, so keeping him in Sacto is the best use of inventory. Gregorio is out of options, and did look good before he got caught for PEDs last year. Was it him or was it the juice? We should get an idea soon.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now, I think Stratton has squatters rights on the #4 slot. Blach really wasn’t that good last year. The rest of the team sucked so bad, his stench got lost, but he did lose his spot to Stratton at the end.

For the last spot, I think the early contenders are Blach, Suarez, Beede and Gregorio. Blach will likely make the team, but as an Affeldt-lite. Suarez may have the highest ceiling AND be the most ready, he would require a 40 slot, so keeping him in Sacto is the best use of inventory. Gregorio is out of options, and did look good before he got caught for PEDs last year. Was it him or was it the juice? We should get an idea soon.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Giants pick up a low cost starter. I think two spots in the rotation will make them nervous.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be surprised if the Giants pick up a low cost starter. I think two spots in the rotation will make them nervous.
Maybe, but they actually have depth at SP. Maybe not contending depth, but MLB depth.

And they have to find a spot for Gregorio or trade him (a legit option) and Stratton has earned the right to stay in the rotation (short leash).

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe, but they actually have depth at SP. Maybe not contending depth, but MLB depth.

And they have to find a spot for Gregorio or trade him (a legit option) and Stratton has earned the right to stay in the rotation (short leash).

Yeah Stratton is in the rotation if he's healthy.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I think about this trade, I realize just how lucky the Giants were to get someone to take his salary for 2018, after the Giants were foolish enough to exercise his contract option. The Rangers, in my opinion, are crazy to have acquired him. They already have a bunch of lefties and Moore struggled in a home park that is pitching friendly. So how in the world do they expect him to get better pitching half his games in Texas?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I think about this trade, I realize just how lucky the Giants were to get someone to take his salary for 2018, after the Giants were foolish enough to exercise his contract option. The Rangers, in my opinion, are crazy to have acquired him. They already have a bunch of lefties and Moore struggled in a home park that is pitching friendly. So how in the world do they expect him to get better pitching half his games in Texas?
I think they look at him as a solid lottery ticket. Last year was Moore’s worst season, so I think it is safe to expect that to be his floor. And they gave up nothing to get him and 9M for a starter is VERY affordable.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they look at him as a solid lottery ticket. Last year was Moore’s worst season, so I think it is safe to expect that to be his floor. And they gave up nothing to get him and 9M for a starter is VERY affordable.
But the Rangers seem to be one team that he could push the envelope on what is his floor. Moore's fastball was down in velocity, from what I hear, last year. If that trend continues, he'll get lit up in Texas. However, if Moore's issue was mechanical, and he is able to fix it, then maybe they get a solid 4th starter. I guess it is worth the gamble for them. But that still leaves the question about why so many left handed starts unanswered. Their two primary foes, the Astros and Angels, both lean heavily to the right.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But the Rangers seem to be one team that he could push the envelope on what is his floor. Moore's fastball was down in velocity, from what I hear, last year. If that trend continues, he'll get lit up in Texas. However, if Moore's issue was mechanical, and he is able to fix it, then maybe they get a solid 4th starter. I guess it is worth the gamble for them. But that still leaves the question about why so many left handed starts unanswered. Their two primary foes, the Astros and Angels, both lean heavily to the right.
Yes, the lefty thing us still a thing, but if they hit on the lottery pick, he could be a SOLID 3 or even a 2.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

On the open market, Matt Moore get's more than a one-year, $9M deal with a team option at $10M with a $750K (!) buyout.

Pineda and Smyly got $10M and they're recovering from major arm surgery.

I'm positive the Giants knew they'd be able to find a trade partner for Moore coming into the offseason. They were probably dangling him at the deadline in July and had a decent idea of his value.

In hindsight it was a pretty savvy move by the Giants. They got two prospects for nothing. And I don't really think it's a bad move for Texas because they paid about market value for "risky starting pitcher with upside" when including the prospect package, or below market value just monetarily.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Giants intend on contending, than they need EVERYTHING except a C, 2B, and SS. So Olney saying the Giants “need” a SP is only accurate in that regard, but would be equally accurate for almost ever single FA.