• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Matt Cain Announces Retirement/Appreciation Thread

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, I don’t trust that the question was accurate.

Counting Robby, we have now identified 3 additional players...

Needless to say, Cain joins some rarified air...

Especially in the modern era, it is definitely really rare.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, I don’t trust that the question was accurate.

Counting Robby, we have now identified 3 additional players...

Needless to say, Cain joins some rarified air...
I think the idea behind the question you found, considering the timing of Cain's retirement, is what players didn't even want to play for another organization. Guys like Robby Thompson and Scott Garrelts tried to continue their careers in spite of injuries and ineffectiveness. Davenport, however, warrants a question as to the accuracy of the answer. Unless, of course, Davenport went to spring training with someone else after his time with the Giants was over.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dug further, he played in the minors for the Padres in 1993 and the Royals in 1995.
I think in my gut/head, I merged my memories of him and Krukow. When I looked Scotty up, there was no hint of any of the teams I “knew” he had played for. And coincidentally, all the teams I “knew” he played for, Kruk had played for.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hubble is another.

Hubbell was a screwball pitcher. Instead of snapping the wrist over the ball, palm inward, for the curve, he snapped his wrist with the palm facing out. Reverse action of the curve. Normally, when someone's arms are relaxed and at their side, their palms face towards their body. Story has it that Hubbell's right arm did that, but his left hand naturally faced away from his body at the end of his career. Probably a little freaky to see. Helluva pitcher, though.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Woo hoo! So what do I win? :hope: (PLEASE say a night with, oh, I don't know...Scarlett Johansson? Jennifer Lawrence? Mila Kunis? Just don't tell the spousal unit!)
I may be able to set up a date wth “Scarlett Johansson”

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may be able to set up a date wth “Scarlett Johansson”

She's going to be featured in Henry Louis Gates' ancestry PBS show this year, and maybe the premier episode which is next week. That show along with Frontline, Nova and The Woodwright's Shop are my favorites.