• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Masahiro Tanaka apologizes to team and its fans for injury

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,138.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Masahiro Tanaka apologized Friday to the New York Yankees, his teammates and the team's fans for being sidelined by a partially torn ligament in his right elbow.

General manager Brian Cashman said in a conference call Thursday that Tanaka could return in six weeks but didn't rule out the possibility of Tommy John surgery if the right-hander doesn't respond to a rehab program.

On Friday, the Yankees' ace released a statement on his injury, saying he "will be going through some treatment and rehab on my injured elbow over the next several weeks."

"I give everything I have every time I take the ball. With that, I also know that there will always be a risk of injury when playing this game that I love. Right now I feel that the most important thing for me is to keep my head up, remain focused on the task at hand and devote all my energy into healing the injury in order to come back strong," he said.

"I want to apologize to the Yankees organization, my teammates and our fans for not being able to help during this time. I accept this injury as a challenge, but I promise to do everything I can to overcome this setback and return to the mound as soon as possible."

Source: ESPN New York