• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Maryland week/Game thread (Homecoming)

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Linebackeru, I think you and I are on about the same page as far as expectations today and this year, but maybe with a reverse score. Grin.
As far as recruiting, I'm not sure Durkin's looses the benefit of the doubt with the results of one game or this season. We lost Haskins and Keandre Jones both 4 Stars to Ohio State after Coach Deadsall was fired. I don't think Deadsall was going to keep them anyway. We'll see about 2017.
The hidden situation at Maryland that makes us young like Penn State is who is actually playing. A lot a true freshman vs Sophomores and Juniors. Then those "ifs and but" we did have a couple defensive line guys leave early with the coaching change that are getting playing time in the NFL. Dang.

Maybe five years or so from now we can be real rivals. Probably always be somewhat of an outsider to the old BIG schools not matter the game result. In the ACC it was the Carolina Mafia and everyone else.
Go Terps

As far as recruiting we are still all over Kaindoh, he is the one I'd love to steal and the one Durkin is really going to have to work to keep as ND, OSU are also still on him full tilt. Cam Spence still flirting with PSU, but he is pretty far down their board...was really good as sophomore but plateaued and they think he may have already hit his ceiling. Durkin did a good job with the initial buzz new hire always creates and got some guys to commit, hot start helped. Problem is they have a rough stretch of games here and could lose all that momentum....reminds me of Franklin year one where we loaded up early, started 4-0, limped to 6-6 finish and lost a few commits.

I was very pleased with our performance yesterday. They finally built on the previous game's second half and played 4 solid quarters. Pry is doing an amazing coaching job on D with all the injuries, McSorely keeps using his legs, we can score on anyone. Hated seeing hillis get dinged, he's a local kid (Pittsburgh) and I always like to see those guys do well. Hopefully he's not out long

Anyhow, good luck rest of way. We have a bye week, then OSU at home. Hoping to keep it close, pull everything out of the bag...believe we get 1 or 2 LB's back as well. After that, don't see anyone we can't beat on teh schedule...9 still very possible if team keeps building on these last 2 weeks.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyway congrats on yesterday, I was at a party with the sound down so not sure about the injuries, hope they are all OK. Still wondering what the betters were thinking moving the line so much during the week. Serves them right for betting on my school. LOL.

Out OT that got hurt is done for the year, hopefully Hills isn't out too long for you guys.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last paragraph was on point. I honestly don't see Maryland ever being anywhere other than on the outside looking inat the football world. But again this is the Penn State board, thanks linebackeru for keeping it civil here.

I still question just how crippling the penalties were. Being allowed on TV is not even close to "Death Penalty" status. And again the sanctions were removed after only 2 years. Did that as well as the loss of scholarships hurt? Of course they did. But it was certainly a situation that should not take 5 years and counting to dig out from IMO. I don't remember the specifics at tue other schools but Miami hasn't been Miami since the 90's, like many programs their time came and went. SC lost Pete Carroll and were never the same.

They took us down 20 scholarships a year and only let us bring in a max of 15 players regardless, so we were down even further than the 85-20 limit they put us on. We were lucky to be able to field a team. They created our sanctions to pretty much let us die on vine, win 1-2 games per year.....hell, they gave EVERYONE on the roster free and open transfer with no penalty or having to sit out anytime...immediate eligibility. Nobody was ever hit with anything close, short of SMU getting shut down. Yes, they were removed after 2 years, but in those 2 years our roster was decimated of any depth of PSU quality talent. Franklin got the scholies back but only had a month to recruit and flip some players and had mostly kids who were recruited under cloud of not going to bowl for 4 years and playing on a team with 45-50 players on roster. He has had 2 full cycles now and his guys are starting to contribute. It was a 3-4 year rebuild minimum for Franklin minimum to restock the roster.

USC lost carroll and was hit with more sanctions.

Ritzarmy

RIP WLK Loving father, husband, & friend to ALL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geez can we have 1 game where we don't lose a starter to a injury. McSorely's legs are one reason we did so well yesterday and with Nelson out for the season I see McSorely needing to be mobile more often. Team looked good yesterday and hope we continue to build on this. However we have 1 week off then play Fuckeyes and I don't expect the game to be close. Currently 4-2

4-3 Loss to OSU
5-3 Win against Purdue
5-4 Loss to Iowa
6-4 Win against Indiana
7-4 Win against Rutgers
7-5 Loss to Michigan St.

JD Racer Dad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Linebackeru, good luck the rest of the way.
I do and have spent some time in the Central PA area. My Av is at Lincoln Speedway.
A lot of Penn St friends at the college level or Ravens, Eagles, Steelers fans at the Pro level depending on which way they look East, West or South. Grin.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep respect for linebackeru for the solid exchange. Still hate your program and sorry you never found the time to send me those Paterno links as promised, but you are a good guy. Really sorry to hear about that tackle, the hit on the kicker was bush league and big discussion on the Maryland board where I post on.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geez can we have 1 game where we don't lose a starter to a injury. McSorely's legs are one reason we did so well yesterday and with Nelson out for the season I see McSorely needing to be mobile more often. Team looked good yesterday and hope we continue to build on this. However we have 1 week off then play Fuckeyes and I don't expect the game to be close. Currently 4-2

4-3 Loss to OSU
5-3 Win against Purdue
5-4 Loss to Iowa
6-4 Win against Indiana
7-4 Win against Rutgers
7-5 Loss to Michigan St.

Have you watched Iowa and MSU play this year?? I think Indiana is far more dangerous than both, especially since those 2 are home and Indy on road for what will likely be an 11am kick there. We will murder Purdue and Butgers. OSU, who knows, they were supposed to kil us 2 years ago in the whiteout and needed 2 OT...crazy things can happen in that environment. They SHOULD beat us, but our O could keep in closer than many think.

The offense is designed for McSorely to use his legs. Had he done that against Pitt, we win that game as well. He is finally getting a feel for the RPO.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep respect for linebackeru for the solid exchange. Still hate your program and sorry you never found the time to send me those Paterno links as promised, but you are a good guy. Really sorry to hear about that tackle, the hit on the kicker was bush league and big discussion on the Maryland board where I post on.

Yeah, I have been so freaking slammed at work...I am a 1 man IT/network infrastructure department till we hire a replacement, so I haven't had time to dig up everything in one neat package for you. I will at some point.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to judge yesterday's game for either team. Lifelong Penn State fan but have lived in MD most of my life. Used to be easy when they were in separate conferences because I could root for both schools.

Penn States sanctions were severe. MD had no TV and I have never seen anyone screwed so badly for giving a kid a ride to class. I was not a fan of Franklin when he was at MD but we will see as this and next season progresses how good he is/does. Competing against Urban and Harbaugh is going to be tough. MD hasn't been a football school but lets see how much impact Plank has on the program. Vander Linden could recruit at MD and Fridge coached them up, Fridge couldn't recruit.

Yesterday there was too much McSorley and Barkley for MD. Hard to know how good or bad either team is right now. Both have a shot at bowl games.