• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Maryland possibly changing field color

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
COLLEGE PARK (WUSA) -- By now, most Maryland Terrapin football fans have heard the rumors that the field at Byrd Stadium was going to drastically change. Ever since, I was being told that the reason the field was currently being dug up was to apply new turf to the stadium. I have confirmed that is true, but also have discovered the field is getting a new look.

A source within the program told me that the turf being applied to the field will be either black or pewter.

A picture of a potential black field has been circulating around the web and has members of the student body excited, even though I think it would look terrible in real life.

The color pewter, however, threw me off. Pewter is not a school color, which leads me to believe that black will eventually be the color of the field. The school colors are a red, black, and gold, but pewter (the shade of the Tampa Bay Buccaneer helmets) is a closer shade of gold than the current yellow being used by the school.

Athletic Director Kevin Anderson has been to reinventing the program since getting the job a season ago, and it seems altering the the school colors could potentially be next after axing the former coaching regime and eliminating the old uniforms.

What the source could not tell me is why. The new uniforms didn't exactly set the tone for last season, so what impact will a color schemed field provided for the team? Get the players hype? Take the attention off the play of the team? Perhaps a recruiting ploy?

I don't know, but if you like the thought of it, congrats to you, my friend. Maryland's PR moves are clearly working on you.

UPDATE 6/1/12 11:26AM:

The athletic department's media relations has contacted me, let me know at this time no final decision has been made on the color of the field. I asked if they were considering on changing the color at all and was told the following:

"Don't know the final details on color yet... No final decision has been made...
Yes, the surface will be synthetic, rather than grass... Will be finished in time for the home opener on 9/1."

It seems as though a color change is being considered and we will know what the final decision is in the upcoming months.

A Source Confirms The University of Maryland is Altering The Color Of The Football Field | wusa9.com

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This photo has been surfacing around the web.

tQlbS.png

NmrBOl.jpg

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that field in the picture is horrible

if they were to go with just black with no background stuff it would look good, and quite intimidating.

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the NCAA ruled green was the only acceptable field turf color? (Which it is).

Nevermind:
* There is an NCAA rule banning turf colors other than green, but BSU's field is allowed to remain blue under a grandfather clause.
o The NCAA has no such rule; any school may paint its field any color other than green if it wishes. Though painting the end zones is common, and schools have wide latitude in how to do so, only BSU has chosen a non-green color for the field itself.

There should be damn it! :lm:

Last edited by a moderator:

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we officially call Maryland "Gimmick U"?

24seven

Biggest Cock Around Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it should be a giant flatscreen that can change constantly.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh get out... This can't really be happening.

yeodonie

Small Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Completely ridiculous. NCAA really needs to step in and make this disgusting shit stop.

grass is green.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
usually when someone quotes it is assumed it's from the link making the link redundant. The text says black or pewter... so :L to you.

Oh yeah?

second link

In order to enhance playability for all sports expected to use the facility, and after various tests and discussions, it was decided the playing surface will be a traditional green in color. The end zones for football will have a design reminiscent of the Maryland state flag and reinforcing the "Maryland Pride" theme of Maryland Athletics.

:L :burt:

whyoh

Go Yale!
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i've said it before and i'll say it again......Army needs a digital camo field

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their uni's would blend in as bad as BSU's then!

whyoh

Go Yale!
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but it wouldn't give everyone a headache