• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Martins BBQ

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell after all that I am grilling a Ribeye put those chompers to good use.

My implants get torque tested October 2, 2017. After that, my lower partial gets fitted. Then my two upper replacements get put in. (Had to have them removed last November because they were infected and I couldn't have a new heart valve put in until the teeth and the infection were gone.) I had the implant installed on June 2.

Believe me, after nearly 5 months of this, I will probably have a grilled Porterhouse.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My implants get torque tested October 2, 2017. After that, my lower partial gets fitted. Then my two upper replacements get put in. (Had to have them removed last November because they were infected and I couldn't have a new heart valve put in until the teeth and the infection were gone.) I had the implant installed on June 2.

Believe me, after nearly 5 months of this, I will probably have a grilled Porterhouse.
Hell yeah or get you a Five Bone Prime Rib and slow roast that beast indirect with some crushed rosemary garlic paste cracked black pepper and kosher salt. I am going all out after all that.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just had four dental implants drilled into my jaw and it will take that long for the cadaver bone to heal with my jaw and for the drilled in steel to bond.

Steel???
I thought they only used titanium, no?
Mine is titanium anyway.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also like to occasionally smoke a quality bologna, I know ... oxymoron, to use as an early food. It's not really an app, but fills in nicely with a great taste if you were raised on fried 'bloney.

I am thinking about a pellet smoker this fall but it just feels like cheating. I love having to watch the temp, adjust the dampers and add charcoal.
Two different discussions... 1 Achieving the best results; 2 Artistry of making the food.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I started growing my own jalapenos last year and froze a couple of dozen immediately after I picked them. This year I've expanded to Cayennes, Scorpians, Korean Nightmares.

If you really want a different flavor, chop jalapenos into tiny, tiny pieces until you have almost a wet paste. Add it and a half teaspoon of Bell's (Sage) and a couple of finely crushed cloves of garlic to every pound of burger. The patties will have a great flavor and just a little bite. I also add dry mustard, Emirile's Italian seasoning and onion because I love richly flavored burger. That and I have to eat very soft food until October. I just had four dental implants drilled into my jaw and it will take that long for the cadaver bone to heal with my jaw and for the drilled in steel to bond. Burger and chicken are about all I can safely chew unless the meat is slow cooked in a crock pot for hours so it literally falls apart. I haven't had back molars (6) since the early 70s and can't wait to chew food in the back of my mouth. $50,000 in dental work and the pain of the process will hopefully be worth the wait.
I went to a farmers market late one day an wanted a couple jalapenos, they gave me brown bag full for free... I dehydrated them and ground my own pepper and used it for years in chili and other dishes that called for red pepper.... It had a noticeably better flavor. I need to do that again.

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two different discussions... 1 Achieving the best results; 2 Artistry of making the food.

It is. Were I to do local competitions I could justify the pellet smoker. There are some other advantages but I like controlling the fire/smoke. It is a big part of the fun.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is. Were I to do local competitions I could justify the pellet smoker. There are some other advantages but I like controlling the fire/smoke. It is a big part of the fun.
It does show a level of mastery.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It does show a level of mastery.

This stuff is truly the meaning of life... Identifying "your thing" and enjoying the piss out of it.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What? No Mesquite?
I have the Weber with gas assist for starting.
Kingsford charcoal and a variety of wood as well.
I have Cherry, Apple and Hickory. Just ran out of Mesquite, and no Maple.

I usually use maple syrup for flavoring, never thought of using the wood for smoke.

Hickory is best for pork.
I use oak for beef and lamb.
Mesquite is excellent for seafood, beef and chicken.....

I have eaten and cooked barbecue from all over the world.
I'm now drooling - thanks!

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing wrong with a pellet smoker it just makes life easier I retire in six years with an $80k bonus I will get me a Trager

Using a Trager to barbecue is like using a vibrator instead of a woman. Might be easier, I guess.....

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Using a Trager to barbecue is like using a vibrator instead of a woman. Might be easier, I guess.....

Not really it's all about practical application. The Trager allows a lot of freedom which may be better for some people. I know I can Q, I know how to use smokers I have nothing less to prove why not make it easier? They allow a freedom other smokers, grills etc do not, I see no harm in that

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really it's all about practical application. The Trager allows a lot of freedom which may be better for some people. I know I can Q, I know how to use smokers I have nothing less to prove why not make it easier? They allow a freedom other smokers, grills etc do not, I see no harm in that

Got some free pellets for you!
upload_2017-6-18_7-14-28.png

batchaps4me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

One of the best advantages would be able to plan when a meat is ready the next day. It is hard to have a full spread ready for early games during the fall. It is damned near impossible at my age/shape to cook through the night, adding charcoal every hour, and then be able to watch all of the games the next day.

EDIT: I would like to add that the other main advantage for me is that I like to experiment with recipes and by being able to eliminate the variables of heat and smoke then you are left with truer results from meat cut and seasonings.

Last edited:

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the best advantages would be able to plan when a meat is ready the next day. It is hard to have a full spread ready for early games during the fall. It is damned near impossible at my age/shape to cook through the night, adding charcoal every hour, and then be able to watch all of the games the next day.

EDIT: I would like to add that the other main advantage for me is that I like to experiment with recipes and by being able to eliminate the variables of heat and smoke then you are left with truer results from meat cut and seasonings.
Agreed, although I know how stick, and bullet smokers are effected by ambient air temperatures and humidity what I don't know is how or if a pellet smokers is. The gauge which sets the temp basically is telling the unit for a temp of 225 the drop auger needs so many rpms which drops so many pellets. Not sure if the set numbers temp is the actual smoker chamber temp. My stick smoker temp gauge is off by 25 to 30 degrees which is a lot. I used my Maverick digital temp gauge to measure the chamber temp vs the thermometer temp I would damn sure run that test before I assumed it was working as the claims state.

batchaps4me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, although I know how stick, and bullet smokers are effected by ambient air temperatures and humidity what I don't know is how or if a pellet smokers is. The gauge which sets the temp basically is telling the unit for a temp of 225 the drop auger needs so many rpms which drops so many pellets. Not sure if the set numbers temp is the actual smoker chamber temp. My stick smoker temp gauge is off by 25 to 30 degrees which is a lot. I used my Maverick digital temp gauge to measure the chamber temp vs the thermometer temp I would damn sure run that test before I assumed it was working as the claims state.

I know that the smokers come with different bells and whistles, but have seen some that are Bluetooth with temps in both the fire chamber and smoke chamber. I haven't thought muck about the relative humidity because I use water pans and assumed it to be close to a constant. Thanks for giving me another variable to worry about!!! :D I will have to do some reading because I assumed the auger was controlled by the smoke chamber temp. Great move verifying the temp.