• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Martins BBQ

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4th Ave in Nashville.
Really good ribs. Shared some with my son.
Really good pulled pork. Shared some with my daughter.
Fantastic wings.
Great sauces.
I will go back.

So, we were downtown Nashville this weekend for CMA and stuff with my wife's sister and family. Great people.
I've known them longer than I knew my wife...we were all in school together etc....

We needed a break from the heat so we sought out a restaurant we could go inside.

I, of course, was wearing my Flying Elvis Patriots hat which caught the attention of one of the staff.
He came over to say, hey about half your team was in here a couple weeks ago.

Oh really I said.

Turns out Jimmy G and 5-6 others were there over Memorial Day week end.
The guy said Titans players are in there all the time, no big deal, but the Patriots were "The nicest guys you could ever hope to meet". His words. He went on to say he talked to Jimmy a bit and said Jimmy told him they go to Nashville every year for Memorial Day weekend and that they visited Martins 3 times that he knew. It is good food.

But he reiterated "The nicest guys you could ever hope to meet" 3-4 times. As a fan, it felt good to know that is the lasting impression that at least some of the players are leaving when they visit foreign cities.

BTW...kids are at home visiting VT for the summer, enjoying a good maple creamy as I type.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Daves BBQ Equally good.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Daves BBQ Equally good.
When I lived in NH everyone grilled we really didn't know about BBQ, we may have called it BBQ for the most part we were just grilling. Then I move south and I learned oh hell I was not BBQing so I started, and man I messed up a lot of food in the beginning. I was smoked some ribs early on my dog would not eat. 25 Years later I got's it down.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I lived in NH everyone grilled we really didn't know about BBQ, we may have called it BBQ for the most part we were just grilling. Then I move south and I learned oh hell I was not BBQing so I started, and man I messed up a lot of food in the beginning. I was smoked some ribs early on my dog would not eat. 25 Years later I got's it down.

BBQ.
A verb in the north, a noun in the south.

Yes, when I left, I thought I was good to go with my gas grill...
Never, never again.

Still experimenting, still learning.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BBQ.

Never, never again.

I am a bog Weber Products fan and my oldest brother called me, So Proud he bought his first Weber product. I asked did you pick up Kingsford and some Cherry, Apple, Hickory, Maple for starters. He was immediately dissapointed when he had to explain it was gas. LOL True Story.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a bog Weber Products fan and my oldest brother called me, So Proud he bought his first Weber product. I asked did you pick up Kingsford and some Cherry, Apple, Hickory, Maple for starters. He was immediately dissapointed when he had to explain it was gas. LOL True Story.

What? No Mesquite?
I have the Weber with gas assist for starting.
Kingsford charcoal and a variety of wood as well.
I have Cherry, Apple and Hickory. Just ran out of Mesquite, and no Maple.

I usually use maple syrup for flavoring, never thought of using the wood for smoke.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What? No Mesquite?

I usually use maple syrup for flavoring, never thought of using the wood for smoke.
I have the same unit, still going strong after 9 years, though I need to start it with a lighter wand...

Nothing beats charcoal and nothing beats a Weber. The gas assist is great because you can predict the start time and don't have the lighter fluid taste or smell... Lighter fluid is the worst...

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What? No Mesquite?

Never was a fan of mesquite I use Black Jack Oak from time to time. Maple is nice it's a faint taste

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have the same unit, still going strong after 9 years, though I need to start it with a lighter wand...

Nothing beats charcoal and nothing beats a Weber. The gas assist is great because you can predict the start time and don't have the lighter fluid taste or smell... Lighter fluid is the worst...
I have three Weber chimneys and use the Weber paraffin cubes

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Congrats!!! When someone tells me they are BBQing I ask if they are grilling or BBQing. When they ask what is the difference I laugh.

BBQ.

Never, never again.

To me, a BBQ is an event involving large amounts of charcoal, music or football, and beer. FWIW, may I suggest getting a few good quality Dutch ovens for your sides. Anything that can be cooked on or in a stove can be cooked in them. They are bulletproof for cooking.

The best $15 I ever spent was on a chimney starter. No more chemical taste and I can also use them for Dutch oven cooking.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chimney's are a must with charcoal. I would definitely have one if I did not have the gas assist.
I like it for longer indirect cooks or if I am running multiple grills or smokers at the same time. Seems when ever I fire up my smokers the neighbors get real friendly. In addition to the meats I make a super Tater Salad and Bacon Jalapeno Mac nCheese that keeps em coming back.

batchaps4me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like it for longer indirect cooks or if I am running multiple grills or smokers at the same time. Seems when ever I fire up my smokers the neighbors get real friendly. In addition to the meats I make a super Tater Salad and Bacon Jalapeno Mac nCheese that keeps em coming back.

I make stuffed jalapenos for an appetizer(read as something to keep my fat ass from starving while I cook and drink). I play around with it using everything from shrimp/crab to brats/Italian sausage as the meat for the stuffing. Bacon wrapped ... always bacon wrapped. lol

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I make stuffed jalapenos for an appetizer(read as something to keep my fat ass from starving while I cook and drink). I play around with it using everything from shrimp/crab to brats/Italian sausage as the meat for the stuffing. Bacon wrapped ... always bacon wrapped. lol
Jalapenos are so universal.

For appetizers I often make hickory smoked meatloaf sliders toppend with melted munsters on King Hawaiian rolls. I love BBQ get to slow cook and drink, pulled pork 8 hour cook, briskets 12 to 16, just sit around getting shit faced then if you mess it up people are to drunk to care. That is the real secret to great BBQ.

batchaps4me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jalapenos are so universal.

For appetizers I often make hickory smoked meatloaf sliders toppend with melted munsters on King Hawaiian rolls. I love BBQ get to slow cook and drink, pulled pork 8 hour cook, briskets 12 to 16, just sit around getting shit faced then if you mess it up people are to drunk to care. That is the real secret to great BBQ.

I also like to occasionally smoke a quality bologna, I know ... oxymoron, to use as an early food. It's not really an app, but fills in nicely with a great taste if you were raised on fried 'bloney.

I am thinking about a pellet smoker this fall but it just feels like cheating. I love having to watch the temp, adjust the dampers and add charcoal.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also like to occasionally smoke a quality bologna, I know ... oxymoron, to use as an early food. It's not really an app, but fills in nicely with a great taste if you were raised on fried 'bloney.

I am thinking about a pellet smoker this fall but it just feels like cheating. I love having to watch the temp, adjust the dampers and add charcoal.

Nothing wrong with a pellet smoker it just makes life easier I retire in six years with an $80k bonus I will get me a Trager

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I started growing my own jalapenos last year and froze a couple of dozen immediately after I picked them. This year I've expanded to Cayennes, Scorpians, Korean Nightmares.

If you really want a different flavor, chop jalapenos into tiny, tiny pieces until you have almost a wet paste. Add it and a half teaspoon of Bell's (Sage) and a couple of finely crushed cloves of garlic to every pound of burger. The patties will have a great flavor and just a little bite. I also add dry mustard, Emirile's Italian seasoning and onion because I love richly flavored burger. That and I have to eat very soft food until October. I just had four dental implants drilled into my jaw and it will take that long for the cadaver bone to heal with my jaw and for the drilled in steel to bond. Burger and chicken are about all I can safely chew unless the meat is slow cooked in a crock pot for hours so it literally falls apart. I haven't had back molars (6) since the early 70s and can't wait to chew food in the back of my mouth. $50,000 in dental work and the pain of the process will hopefully be worth the wait.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I started growing my own jalapenos last year and froze a couple of dozen immediately after I picked them. This year I've expanded to Cayennes, Scorpians, Korean Nightmares.

If you really want a different flavor, chop jalapenos into tiny, tiny pieces until you have almost a wet paste. Add it and a half teaspoon of Bell's (Sage) and a couple of finely crushed cloves of garlic to every pound of burger. The patties will have a great flavor and just a little bite. I also add dry mustard, Emirile's Italian seasoning and onion because I love richly flavored burger. That and I have to eat very soft food until October. I just had four dental implants drilled into my jaw and it will take that long for the cadaver bone to heal with my jaw and for the drilled in steel to bond. Burger and chicken are about all I can safely chew unless the meat is slow cooked in a crock pot for hours so it literally falls apart. I haven't had back molars (6) since the early 70s and can't wait to chew food in the back of my mouth. $50,000 in dental work and the pain of the process will hopefully be worth the wait.
Hell after all that I am grilling a Ribeye put those chompers to good use.