• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Martin DFA'd

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not just send Valencia on his way? Martin had issues, but is still better than Valencia.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I understand this move. Why DFA Martin instead of sending Freeman down?

Or dumping Valencia who I think is even worse.

I think they kept Freeman up because Segura is still out and Seager has a sore hip keeping him from starting right now. But they could have waited until Tuesday when Segura gets back.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or dumping Valencia who I think is even worse.

I think they kept Freeman up because Segura is still out and Seager has a sore hip keeping him from starting right now. But they could have waited until Tuesday when Segura gets back.

I almost asked why they didn't wait til Tuesday. I mean, I guess this gives us a potential place to keep Motter in the lineup when Segura gets back - but I am kind've surprised they DFA'd Martin

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The goal was to free up a roster spot, and they probably think Martin has a better chance of getting picked up by another org than Valencia, so it'll be a salary dump.

Let Vogelbach and Valencia platoon for a few weeks to see what's real with Vogelbach, and hopefully be a little bit of a wake up call for Valencia. After evaluating all of that, they can make their move with Valencia.

Makes sense to me.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strange. There is more going on here that Servais and Dipoto aren't talking about. Like most of you, I expected either Freeman would go down or a relief pitcher.

Valencia is a different story. He is coming off of two decent seasons. I don't think they are ready to dump him yet, but they are certainly ready for him to ride the pine for awhile.

And I think it is finally time go move on from Zunino. He's just not going to be what he hoped he would be. But that would require an acquisition from outside the organization because no one in the organization is ready.

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zunino has a career BA of .194 and this is 5th season. He also has 2 RBI all year.

Is his D really that good to make up for it? I sure don't see it. I just see him killing rally after rally every game.

At the very least PINCH HIT FOR HIM IN THE 9TH when down by a run ffs. I can think of at least 2 games this year he's whiffed with the game on the line. There's NO excuse for that.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very surprised to see Martin get DFA'd.

Defensively he had a good year last year, ran well, and was solid at the plate despite having some injury problems. Had he been healthy, he could've put up a 20/20 season with plus defense in center. If I recall, last year he was quite streaky as well and considering the adjustment(s) he has made to his swing, you would think they would let him have a bit longer to figure his issues out.

There are ways to spin it that would make the move make sense, but it is quite surprising. I have to assume there is something behind the scenes that offers why the Mariners made this move.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zunino has a career BA of .194 and this is 5th season. He also has 2 RBI all year.

Is his D really that good to make up for it? I sure don't see it. I just see him killing rally after rally every game.

At the very least PINCH HIT FOR HIM IN THE 9TH when down by a run ffs. I can think of at least 2 games this year he's whiffed with the game on the line. There's NO excuse for that.

I want to defend Zunino, but it is getting hard at this point. I'd say the only bright spot is that his approach at the plate was better last year than it was in previous years. He doubled his walk rate, although the K rate remained the same - which is the bigger issue.

For what it's worth, he has shown mild improvement in certain areas under Edgar. It doesn't appear to be enough though. This will be his make or break year.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is surprising, I still think Valencia should be the guy to go. Martin wasn't getting it done at the plate, but he did offer some really nice D at a defensive position. I think this move leads to more moves eventually and I don't think Valencia is on this team to finish the first half of this season. Unless he gets hot quickly.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strange. There is more going on here that Servais and Dipoto aren't talking about. Like most of you, I expected either Freeman would go down or a relief pitcher.

Agreed.

Valencia is a different story. He is coming off of two decent seasons. I don't think they are ready to dump him yet, but they are certainly ready for him to ride the pine for awhile.

But Martin was also coming off a career year and offers defense and speed two things Valencia does not.

And I think it is finally time go move on from Zunino. He's just not going to be what he hoped he would be. But that would require an acquisition from outside the organization because no one in the organization is ready.

So done with K-Nino. Marlette has come a long way and might be ready for a call-up.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is surprising, I still think Valencia should be the guy to go. Martin wasn't getting it done at the plate, but he did offer some really nice D at a defensive position. I think this move leads to more moves eventually and I don't think Valencia is on this team to finish the first half of this season. Unless he gets hot quickly.

My thought exactly. I told my wife I can see a Gamel call-up soon giving them 2 lefties and 2 righties in the outfield with very good defense from all 4. My worry right now is that we could see Motter/Valencia/Cruz in the outfield more which is what we are trying to get away from.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thought exactly. I told my wife I can see a Gamel call-up soon giving them 2 lefties and 2 righties in the outfield with very good defense from all 4. My worry right now is that we could see Motter/Valencia/Cruz in the outfield more which is what we are trying to get away from.

Yeah I think Gamel could get a call depending on how much they want to see him play. This move to DFA Martin is in some ways of keeping Motter in the lineup as much as possible when Segura gets back. I think we will see Motter in LF and Dyson or Heredia in center.

I am curious what they are thinking with Shawn O'Malley cause that could coincide with something else. I am guessing he stays on the DL until at least mid May though, lot can happen in that time.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wasn't that great the second half of the season last year so i'm sure they took that into consideration... He was showing no signs of improving this year either...

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I think Gamel could get a call depending on how much they want to see him play. This move to DFA Martin is in some ways of keeping Motter in the lineup as much as possible when Segura gets back. I think we will see Motter in LF and Dyson or Heredia in center.

I am curious what they are thinking with Shawn O'Malley cause that could coincide with something else. I am guessing he stays on the DL until at least mid May though, lot can happen in that time.

I agree, but would rather not see a non-outfielder play in the outfield anymore especially after all the talk about how defense is suppose to matter.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wasn't that great the second half of the season last year so i'm sure they took that into consideration... He was showing no signs of improving this year either...

I'm kinda more in this boat too. He never showed anything offensively with the Rangers. Makes you think he just had one of those 2 month stretchs last year. And he did honestly look lost at the plate so far

Regardless I would have rather sent down a reliever as well. I don't like the short bench we are running. More options on the bench would be nice so we don't have to watch Kunino do his thing in the 9th inning.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had a terrible spring and it carried over into the regular season. He was also reverting back to the batting style that gave him some success last year but that didn't work either. This move is surprising since he played 15 games this season and i would rather see Valencia go. I think for now they're going to keep Valencia and platoon him at 1B w/Volgelbach.

More moves coming though since they have to deal with the Segura situation as well. As it stands Motter deserves to be in the lineup but where will they play him?