• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MARTE!!!

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you see our l'il buddy Ketel mash two triples against the Rockies? Playoff hero! Haniger was sitting at home thinking, 'Man, that coulda been me'.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you see our l'il buddy Ketel mash two triples against the Rockies? Playoff hero! Haniger was sitting at home thinking, 'Man, that coulda been me'.

I was going to post that last night then thought, just another Mariners thing. I guess he was the first player to hit two triples in a playoff game or something another.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I enjoy watching Marte and Walker in a way that I don't feel I have been able to with most trades in the past. Are they playing playoff ball while the M's are at home, yes. And it sucks. That being said, we received two guys in that trade that I would rather have long term, so rooting for these guys comes easy this time around. Plus, they play in the NL for the team of which is the home team where I reside. I like the Dbacks and they give me a little bit of playoff ball to get excited about, and it helps to watch some familiar faces in the process. Go DBacks!

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
16 years and counting........

I saw a few weeks back that someone posted that if non-playoffs were a person it would be of driving age. I thought it was funny...while a bit sad.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still won the trade though. D'Backs just have a much superior roster.

I don't jump to that conclusion as fast as I did earlier in the year. Main reason, it took several trades including O'Neill to chase the SP we traded away.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't jump to that conclusion as fast as I did earlier in the year. Main reason, it took several trades including O'Neill to chase the SP we traded away.

I think in isolation it was a good trade and the Mariners received more total value. That being said, the O'Neill trade was terrible from the beginning. Even if we had Walker, we still would've needed a starting pitcher and there's a possibility that O'Neill for Marco trade may have still taken place.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dipotos best trade by far right?

Easily, IMO. I still believe it was a situation where we received a fuck load of value with Segura because the D'Backs may have been trying to sell high with the anticipation he would revert back to his pre-2016 form. Haniger I think was a good spot by Dipoto, but even a broken clock is right twice a day.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think in isolation it was a good trade and the Mariners received more total value.

True, but nothing M's do is an isolated case. They tend to ruin a good thing by following up with a very bad thing.

Even if we had Walker, we still would've needed a starting pitcher and there's a possibility that O'Neill for Marco trade may have still taken place.

With JD, that is always a possibility. A good possibility.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but nothing M's do is an isolated case. They tend to ruin a good thing by following up with a very bad thing.

With JD, that is always a possibility. A good possibility.

I think speculating that we wouldn't have made the Marco for O'Neill trade is hard to do. Butterfly effect, we don't know what would've happened if we didn't make that trade. For all we know we could've traded O'Neill for some shitty SS prospect.

If you look at it as: O'Neill, Marte, and Walker for Segura, Haniger and Marco I would agree that the trade was a wash. But we don't know if JD still wouldn't have traded O'Neill for a pitcher of inadequate value.

I also think that time will sort things out. I don't really like Marte's long-term potential, personally. I don't imagine he's going to be much more than he currently is. Looking at Walker, he had a good year but he has dealt with control, injury and consistency issues in the past. On the other hand, Segura and Haniger have also dealt with injury issues. So once again, time will tell.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think speculating that we wouldn't have made the Marco for O'Neill trade is hard to do. Butterfly effect, we don't know what would've happened if we didn't make that trade. For all we know we could've traded O'Neill for some shitty SS prospect.

If you look at it as: O'Neill, Marte, and Walker for Segura, Haniger and Marco I would agree that the trade was a wash. But we don't know if JD still wouldn't have traded O'Neill for a pitcher of inadequate value.

I also think that time will sort things out. I don't really like Marte's long-term potential, personally. I don't imagine he's going to be much more than he currently is. Looking at Walker, he had a good year but he has dealt with control, injury and consistency issues in the past. On the other hand, Segura and Haniger have also dealt with injury issues. So once again, time will tell.

Agreed, but Segura had multiple injuries as well and went from leading the NL in hits to being above average in hits. Haniger couldn't stay healthy to save his life and had some major spikes in play. His defense to me was average. I would still do that trade over again, but I think it is much like the Bedard trade (in reverse) that it isn't as lopsided as originally viewed.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, but Segura had multiple injuries as well and went from leading the NL in hits to being above average in hits. Haniger couldn't stay healthy to save his life and had some major spikes in play. His defense to me was average. I would still do that trade over again, but I think it is much like the Bedard trade (in reverse) that it isn't as lopsided as originally viewed.

Yeah that's why I said only time will tell, there's a lot of variables - primarily injuries. On all sides. (Yes that was a Trump reference, too much time on the politics forum for me).

I think Marte will be a non-factor long-term. I like both Haniger and Segura a lot. Haniger played a lot of games hurt, as evident by his poor stretches when he came back from a rehab stint. Over his first 130 major league games he has 21 HRs and a .270/352/.491 line. That's including his poor start in Arizona and the poor stretches he had during his return from injuries.

Based on that, I think Haniger projects as a guy that can hit .280/.360/.500 with 25ish HRs and average/above average defense if he stays healthy. That's a big if though. I have to remind optimistic that we have at least someone on the roster under 27 who is worth his salt. Otherwise I'd lose my sanity, lol.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
L
Still won the trade though. D'Backs just have a much superior roster.

Agree to a point if we are excluding the present. Right now, it's too early to say who won a trade when all parties involved are in the majors. This year the DBacks have massively won the trade but most likely in the long run the Mariners should win the trade if Segura and Haniger become cornerstones for the rebuild they desperately need.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw a few weeks back that someone posted that if non-playoffs were a person it would be of driving age. I thought it was funny...while a bit sad.

Just think....the kids born in Buffalo NY in 1999, have NEVER had the pleasure of seeing their bills as anything other than a joke, having not made the postseason their entire lives! And these kids are about to graduate high school!

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just think....the kids born in Buffalo NY in 1999, have NEVER had the pleasure of seeing their bills as anything other than a joke, having not made the postseason their entire lives! And these kids are about to graduate high school!

And us Mariner fans aren't far behind that. At least the Bills made it to the big show...but 4 loses isn't much of a comfort I suppose.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And us Mariner fans aren't far behind that. At least the Bills made it to the big show...but 4 loses isn't much of a comfort I suppose.

It is sad that my kids are the exact same age I was when the Mariners made it for the first time. Sad they haven't witnessed playoff baseball or a real NBA basketball game, sorry Storm does not count as real basketball.

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best thing that could have happened for Katel Marte was getting away from Cano' as soon as possible ( which he kinda did by going to AZ Diamondbacks )

He was like the little brother to Cano... was for sure going to pick up all his bad habits of not hustling and hot dogging it up some on fielded ground balls and throws.

He just signed a nice 5yr deal with the D-Backs and obviously impressed the coaches and front office with his work ethic.

Good for him