• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Marquise Overton not making the grade(s)

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU seems to be pulling away from Marquise Overton according to the Jenks H.S. Defensive tackle.

According to conversations with SoonerScoop's Josh McCuistion:
"It's just my low ACT score, I've taken it again but there are so many different things," Overton said. "I can raise it up to a 17, or I can make straight As this semester. I made all As last semester and it bumped up my (needed) ACT by a point.

"The coaches, they told me they didn't want to lose a scholarship if I wasn't able to qualify. They just said that they don't think I'm going to make it, if I would have jumped up a few more points on my ACT."

"I kind of see where they are coming from but at the same time, I think I can do it and pull it out."

So where does that leave things between Oklahoma and Overton?

"Well, I can either go JUCO and go to OU or I can go to a different school. I'm looking at both options," he said. "I haven't really decommitted or anything. I don't know how to say it really, it's just like talking to other coaches, I have to go back and talk to the people that I used to talk to and get back with the people that were fixing to offer me.

" I feel like I'm better than JUCO, I could get past this hump with the grades, I kind of don't really want to go JUCO, which is probably what (Oklahoma) wants me to do."

"I just have to find the right spot, it just happened, so it hit me pretty fast. It's so unexpected."

An Iowa State recruiter stopped by Jenks on Thursday to see Trojans wide receiver Carson Epps and spoke briefly with Overton. He also has spoken with Oklahoma State and is reaching out to several other programs.

Thanks Boren. :L

Last edited by a moderator:

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah that sucks for sure but how can you not make better than a 17 on the ACT? Hell, he said he can "raise it up to 17" meaning he made like a 15 or 16. :L

Come on man!

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry, but this is why you don't wait until your senior year to start giving a shit about school.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Boren. :L

This is what I'm afraid is happening.

Ever wonder why SEC teams are good top to bottom.
Because they make allowances for dumb ass kids, and actually help them out getting in school instead of throwing up roadblocks. There are ways to help get these guys enrolled but we choose not to because of some kind of perceived academic standard that Mr. Boren has in his head.

"Hey Kid, you aren't going to make it; See You Later" :wtf2:

How about if you want the guy and have offered the guy, you actually keep up with the guy and make sure he's taking his ACT long before he did, and take it again and again before signing day. This just may be another symptom of the Bob Stoops Coaching Slump. COACHES NOT DOING THEIR JOB

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what I'm afraid is happening.

Ever wonder why SEC teams are good top to bottom.
Because they make allowances for dumb ass kids, and actually help them out getting in school instead of throwing up roadblocks. There are ways to help get these guys enrolled but we choose not to because of some kind of perceived academic standard that Mr. Boren has in his head.

"Hey Kid, you aren't going to make it; See You Later" :wtf2:

How about if you want the guy and have offered the guy, you actually keep up with the guy and make sure he's taking his ACT long before he did, and take it again and again before signing day. This just may be another symptom of the Bob Stoops Coaching Slump. COACHES NOT DOING THEIR JOB

I don't think you should make allowances for this crap. A kid who can't get a 17 on his ACT has no fucking chance in college. This is a symptom of bad parenting and a high school athletics system that looks the other way.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think you should make allowances for this crap. A kid who can't get a 17 on his ACT has no fucking chance in college. This is a symptom of bad parenting and a high school athletics system that looks the other way.

Well, I can certainly see your point.
I have to ask though; Do you think that most players at major college football programs are there to get a college education???

If you want the smartest football team in the conference then get ready to get beat by the KSU's/TCU's/Baylor's/OSU's of the world.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I can certainly see your point.
I have to ask though; Do you think that most players at major college football programs are there to get a college education???

If you want the smartest football team in the conference then get ready to get beat by the KSU's/TCU's/Baylor's/OSU's of the world.

It doesn't matter why they believe they're there. We've lost sight of what a college athlete should be, and we wonder why these players don't appreciate the full fucking ride they're on and expect to be paid. At the end of the day, they are there to get a college education, whether they appreciate it or not.

occupant

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well then that settles it.

Let's all not be so adamant about winning then.

If many other teams can take advantage of physical specimens with no brainpan, that's no business of ours anymore and we shouldn't bitch about it.

Our athletes will never be champions, but they will be better prepared to do whatever it is they do after college.

You just lost all of the t-shirt fans/boosters and over half the alumni fans/boosters.

Diplomas, not trophies.

td2play

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stanford does pretty well. Maybe not elite but we are not up to Stanford's requirements either. Let's not fool ourselves into thinking we are some Harvard of the plains. Are we better academically then most of the SEC schools? Check out Florida and Georgia for examples. They rate much better than us on overall academics. Now I would be interested in seeing how well their athletes do in the classroom. Probably not much difference. There is already a dual standard for athletes at OU. If this kid can't make it to a 17 ACT then he needs some juco time. The only issue I have is whoever offered this guy to begin with. One of the first things you check before an offer is made is grades. Does he have the brain pan? You check with the people at his high school that know teachers, principal, ect.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stanford does pretty well. Maybe not elite but we are not up to Stanford's requirements either. Let's not fool ourselves into thinking we are some Harvard of the plains. Are we better academically then most of the SEC schools? Check out Florida and Georgia for examples. They rate much better than us on overall academics. Now I would be interested in seeing how well their athletes do in the classroom. Probably not much difference. There is already a dual standard for athletes at OU. If this kid can't make it to a 17 ACT then he needs some juco time. The only issue I have is whoever offered this guy to begin with. One of the first things you check before an offer is made is grades. Does he have the brain pan? You check with the people at his high school that know teachers, principal, ect.

:10::agree:

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do they have a pulse?
Can they fog a mirror?
Is it possible they can do 2 of the 3 RRR's.

Sign that mother fucker up.

"Harvard of the Plains"..... that cracked me up :pound:

sooner78wakeboard

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This one confused me a bit the kid commited early, which is awesome and good for OU. But all he had to work on this past year is getting qualified. I mean, yes you know where you are going and now the focus in just making sure everything else is put into place.

It seems that he just put off qualifying, which is really the most important part, until the last minute.

SoonerAlum

Oklahoman By Choice
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems that he just put off qualifying, which is really the most important part, until the last minute.

If the kid is not motivated enough to start taking the ACT as a junior, is not worried about being eligible until signing day, then what is his work ethic gonna be? Not knowing the kid personally, I'm not going to make the judgement on him but as a high school teacher who is dealing with kids like this every day, I say no thanks!

occupant

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welp, he signed his LOI for OU today.

So...something gave, eh?:noidea:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So why punish the kid?

I think it should be more of a matter of if the kid is actually slow when it comes to learning, or if it's a matter of other factors. I think I'd first determine what kind of attitude the kid has. If it's a case where he has no real interest in improving and especially if it's a sign of other character issues - then pass on the kid. If it's a case where with a little work he can be brought up to speed and has otherwise good characteristics, then I am personally in favor of it.

That call is all on the coaches. You have to look at where these kids are coming from often times. The coaches will obviously feel it's worth the effort or not. Does talent play into it? Yes, it does with all players - who cares?

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So why punish the kid?

I think it should be more of a matter of if the kid is actually slow when it comes to learning, or if it's a matter of other factors. I think I'd first determine what kind of attitude the kid has. If it's a case where he has no real interest in improving and especially if it's a sign of other character issues - then pass on the kid. If it's a case where with a little work he can be brought up to speed and has otherwise good characteristics, then I am personally in favor of it.

That call is all on the coaches. You have to look at where these kids are coming from often times. The coaches will obviously feel it's worth the effort or not. Does talent play into it? Yes, it does with all players - who cares?

Dude, he scored a sub 16 on his ACT. He is not getting into OU with that. Does not matter how good of a football player he is. Maybe they take chances on kids like that at Alabama but I would be surprised if they did.