• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariners trade for Yonder Alonso

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who got excited for them though? Sexson maybe and maybe the spring training crush people had with Lee but none of the others I remember anyone getting excited for.

My smart ass font didn't work when I posted that.....

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very true but the M's have like 9 number 5's under "team control" opening up the wallet is the only way this team will ever get over the hump. At least for the next 3 years every deadline (if they are in it) they will need starting pitching and can't offer shit but money.

I agree.

Or maybe some other GM is stupid enough to take a few of our controllable AAAA pitchers.

Also Gallardo and Iwakuma's contracts coming off the books gives us a bunch of extra money.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also Gallardo and Iwakuma's contracts coming off the books gives us a bunch of extra money.

Coming off the books? Didn't you hear, JD wants to re-sign them to 5 year extensions.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coming off the books? Didn't you hear, JD wants to re-sign them to 5 year extensions.

Given Iwakuma's injury history I wouldn't be opposed to giving him a small incentive laden 1 year contract in the offseason. I can't imagine he will attract all that much interest since he has not only been injured, but really appears to have lost a step.

It's a minimal risk option, and if he is able to pitch like he did in 2016 it would be a really good deal for us. Especially considering that he is currently the second best pitcher we have in this organization right now, sadly.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lost in all this Alonso trade for me shows the lack of interest JD must have in his prize possession 1B of the future in Vogelbach. He is hitting .293 with 14 homers and 69 RBI's and yet we trade a young prospect for a rental for two months. Add to the fact JD says Alonso may not be a rental, then you have to think Vogelbach will be gone making his trade even more of a head scratcher.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given Iwakuma's injury history I wouldn't be opposed to giving him a small incentive laden 1 year contract in the offseason. I can't imagine he will attract all that much interest since he has not only been injured, but really appears to have lost a step.

It's a minimal risk option, and if he is able to pitch like he did in 2016 it would be a really good deal for us. Especially considering that he is currently the second best pitcher we have in this organization right now, sadly.

I really think it is time to cut bait and let him go. Holding on to him will just give M's an excuse to not go get real top 3 starters and it is time we filled out the rotation as if it was going to be used as a playoff team.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think it is time to cut bait and let him go. Holding on to him will just give M's an excuse to not go get real top 3 starters and it is time we filled out the rotation as if it was going to be used as a playoff team.

I think that we should get 3 real starting pitchers, but I don't see the harm in offering him a low risk contract. My bigger concern is if he will be able to rebound. His velocity is down across the board. I wouldn't mind him and Felix taking turns on the DL and being our #5 next year.

A rotation of:

1. Paxton
2. FA/Trade acquisition
3. FA/Trade acquisition
4. Ariel Miranda
5. Felix/Macro/Iwakuma

Would be pretty effective IMO. Having those 3 at #5 would give us a bunch of different options. Especially given Felix's new diet of Taco Bell and exercise routine of spending time on the DL.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that we should get 3 real starting pitchers, but I don't see the harm in offering him a low risk contract. My bigger concern is if he will be able to rebound. His velocity is down across the board. I wouldn't mind him and Felix taking turns on the DL and being our #5 next year.

A rotation of:

1. Paxton
2. FA/Trade acquisition
3. FA/Trade acquisition
4. Ariel Miranda
5. Felix/Macro/Iwakuma

Would be pretty effective IMO. Having those 3 at #5 would give us a bunch of different options. Especially given Felix's new diet of Taco Bell and exercise routine of spending time on the DL.

Problem again is roster space and a mentality of not going after others if you talk yourself into believe he can still useful. They really do need to just move on. The harm being false hope like they had this year with a projected rotation that had 4 of 5 starters coming off career worst ERA's and injury problems. JD talked himself into believing it could still work and it rarely ever does. That is the harm.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem again is roster space and a mentality of not going after others if you talk yourself into believe he can still useful. They really do need to just move on. The harm being false hope like they had this year with a projected rotation that had 4 of 5 starters coming off career worst ERA's and injury problems. JD talked himself into believing it could still work and it rarely ever does. That is the harm.

Yeah roster space is the biggest concern. And even though Iwakuma had an ERA only in the mid 4s, his velocity has dropped an average of 3 MPH on his fastball from last year. You might be right. If anything he should maybe be given a minor league contract so he offers depth in case of the inevitable Paxton, Felix or Marco injury.

The thing that frustrates me is all the value we gave up to land Ramirez, Marco and Phelps could've been probably pooled together to get something decent. I wouldn't be surprised if the Tigers would've ate a portion of Verlander's contract for O'Neill and another prospect or two. I like Phelps, but I'd rather have Cishek and Verlander than Marco, Phelps and Erasmo.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Verlander is an overpaid #3 at this point in his career, but that's still better than everything we have aside from Paxton.

He's declined, but I still think he's capable of raising his game in crunch time... I wouldn't put it past that guy to dominate when it counts...

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I for one like the trade, until I dont, then I wont

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lost in all this Alonso trade for me shows the lack of interest JD must have in his prize possession 1B of the future in Vogelbach. He is hitting .293 with 14 homers and 69 RBI's and yet we trade a young prospect for a rental for two months. Add to the fact JD says Alonso may not be a rental, then you have to think Vogelbach will be gone making his trade even more of a head scratcher.

Vogelbach can only DH. He embarrassed himself on the field. Saturday a dude hit a ball right at him, and instead of taking the three steps to tag the base he stood there waiting foe the pitcher to get over there. Dude nearly got an infield hit when he hit the ball 3 feet from first.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I for one like the trade, until I dont, then I wont

When you can't pitch yourself out of a paper bag you better be able to score some runs.

Alonso gives us the chance at more runs.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you can't pitch yourself out of a paper bag you better be able to score some runs.

Alonso gives us the chance at more runs.
Yea and we arent even very good at