• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariners trade Alex Jackson for Rob Whalen & Max Povse of the Braves

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...

Even though Jackson was struggling, it seems like we pretty much shipped him away for pennies on the dollar if you ask me. Whalen was abysmal in his 5 major league starts last year. I suppose his minor league track record gives us some form of hope.

Hope he's right on Whalen. They probably could've traded Jackson for an older pitcher with limited upside and a higher cost, but who is less of a question mark than Whalen.

Someone help me see the light. This sort of reminds me of the Trumbo trade. Dipoto seems to be selling low on a guy who wasn't one of "his guys" or that fit the mold he's looking for in a player. I would've hoped he could've done more with Jackson.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this trade has a lot of value for the Mariners. I see Robert Whalen as a guy that will compete for the starting rotation this season and is super young and under team control at a low price. Max Povse is a massive human at 6'8" also a starter that I don't think is too far from knocking on the major league door.

I really like Whalen his minor league numbers are great and I think they are more impressive than anything Walker did in the minors.

I like this trade for the short term, but Alex Jackson could very well become a beast down the road. Tough to tell if Jackson will ever figure it out or not.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
drafted him in 2014, and he hasn't been above low a

i'm fine with this trade

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a little up in the air about the trade because it wasnt like Whalen was a high draft pick or highly touted prospect. I was just curious on if we really couldnt have done better with another trade.

I didnt want to say anything bad about jackson but I was really biting my lip on this guys game good god since we drafted him he straight up SUCKED batting around the mendoza line like @cezero said we drafted him 2 years ago and he couldnt make it out low A. Going into the 2016 season he wasnt even on the MLBs top 100 prospects list. Im sure our scouts in the minors had told our managment that this guy will need a lot of work and is nowhere near making it to the majors and our GM was like OH HELL NO we need to trade him while he still has value. It seems like Max Povse and Rob Whalen are two young pitchers that can compete to make the rotation NOW so thats always good

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a little up in the air about the trade because it wasnt like Whalen was a high draft pick or highly touted prospect. I was just curious on if we really couldnt have done better with another trade.
I personally don't think so. I actually view this as one of the better trades Dipoto has made if you are using "value" as a measuring stick. Two nearly MLB ready starting pitchers who have good resumes in the minors and will help the team this season or next for a guy that has been quite frankly terrible at the single A level and is struggling with K's. Ill take that every time.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's five starts and Whalen will only be 23 years old. John Sickels had him and Povse ranked 14th and 16th in the Braves system respectively, but the Braves also have one of the deepest farm systems in baseball.

depends on who the PTBNL is of course (when isn't it?), but it seems like a good deal for the Mariners. Jackson's still young enough to improve, but he still had a pretty unremarkable 2016 campaign.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dont know enough about the two pitchers we got but i liked jackson. I know he has struggled but he is still only 21.

I expect dj to be gone next.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely selling low on Jackson. The purging of anything Jack Z related continues. I'll admit that I liked the Jackson pick at the time, but it could be as simple as Dipoto not liking him. Could be attitude or something else.

Getting some SP depth was needed. It doesn't seem like there is much SP in our system that will contribute in the bigs anytime soon

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm good w/ this trade, like most... We needed to bolster our depth at the SP position... We went young and could have an opportunity for at least one of those guys to be a decent SP for us...

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Jackson is at least two full years from seeing major league action, and only then if he starts turning his career around. Right now there is no guarantee that he will ever even reach the majors. Robert Whalen is ready for themajors now. His debut was unimpressive, but there isn't much more he needs to do in AAA.

And, here is the best part: his sister, Nikki Whalen, is ridiculously hot.
th

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Jackson is at least two full years from seeing major league action, and only then if he starts turning his career around. Right now there is no guarantee that he will ever even reach the majors. Robert Whalen is ready for themajors now. His debut was unimpressive, but there isn't much more he needs to do in AAA.

And, here is the best part: his sister, Nikki Whalen, is ridiculously hot.
th

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jackson got held back at low a when a bunch of others from his class got promoted. i doubt that had much to do with dipoto not liking him. expectations and accountability are what i see in it.

both walker and marte got demoted to AAA last year, and didn't come back better at all. again, expectations and accountability.

definitely a trend with the three players jedi's gotten rid of recently. it's more about having consistent expectations than about trying to erase z's legacy, imo. it sets a good precedent heading forward.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only thing about Whalens debut is that when your on a team that is in last place in their division and bottom in the NL its hard to really go out there and try to win. He was pitching on a team that had completely given up on the season so I could only imagine the atmosphere in the club house. I have seen players on this team when we were terrible go to a winning situation and their numbers change. Michael Saunders and adrian beltre off the top of my head would be an example.

I was a little worried when we drafted him that in the mock draft they had him as a top 3 pick then he fell all the way to us at 6. I wondered why those teams passed up on him there were 3 other HS players that went ahead of him so you cant say that they didnt want to wait around to develop him.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm fine with the trade, Jackson looked to be just another in a long line of Mariners busts. At least Whalen might turn into something decent. There's been a lot of good pitchers that struggled their first go in the bigs.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what i read on an atlanta site is that the minor leaguer is actually the better prospect and whalen is a gutsy type pitcher. Time will tell like always.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Povse is 6"8 and has plus pitches from what I've read.

pistlpete

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A good trade. The Braves have a good history of evaluating pitching prospects, and we do not. Our prospect wasn't working out and we need the pitching depth. Gut feeling is that at least one of these guys will be in the rotation come Spring. Sometimes you need to know your limitations, and ours is evaluating pitching.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A good trade. The Braves have a good history of evaluating pitching prospects, and we do not. Our prospect wasn't working out and we need the pitching depth. Gut feeling is that at least one of these guys will be in the rotation come Spring. Sometimes you need to know your limitations, and ours is evaluating pitching.

I think Whalen will be a starter and Povse will be an innings eater... Both are definitely needed...