• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariners Actively Campaigning for Edgar to Enter H.O.F.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its such bullshit that he isn't in there, and that anyone needs to campaign for a guy that was one of the best to ever do the hardest thing in pro sports; hit a baseball. If he spent his career as a Yankee he would be in already, but he didn't so he waits. It's sad, but the fact that the voters know they want Ortiz in will have to get Gar in there first.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hope he makes it. One of my favorite players of all-time and an all-time great hitter. 68.3 WAR and 38.4 WAA, he compares very well to most HOFers.

I don't think David's stats are quite HOF worthy, but it's pretty difficult to assess a DH as opposed to the other positions. I don't think his batting stats are that far off from the likes of Thome/Edgar/etc, and it's hard to ignore his postseason heroics. This is a guy with a .947 OPS in 369 postseason plate appearances (more than half a season's worth). I think Edgar was unquestionably better, but I think Ortiz's HOF case is much different.

Last edited:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hope he makes it. One of my favorite players of all-time and an all-time great hitter. 68.3 WAR and 38.4 WAA, he compares very well to most HOFers.

I don't think David's stats are quite HOF worthy, but it's pretty difficult to assess a DH as opposed to the other positions. I don't think his batting stats are that far off from the likes of Thome/Edgar/etc, and it's hard to ignore his postseason heroics. This is a guy with a .947 OPS in 369 postseason plate appearances (more than half a season's worth). I think Edgar was unquestionably better, but I think Ortiz's HOF case is much different.

Ortiz will easily make it because a) rings, b) Boston.

The fact Ortiz is winning Edgar Martinez awards though lol... hopefully that will get Edgar in. His DH was insane. Nearly 6 straight seasons with OPS over 1.000... only missed one season by 0.007 lol.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a related note, the Mariners just announced that they're going to retire Edgar's #11 in August of this season. That game should sellout pretty quickly.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a related note, the Mariners just announced that they're going to retire Edgar's #11 in August of this season. That game should sellout pretty quickly.
I have to say, I really like what the new management has done running this team in the short period that they have. Retiring Edgar's number being the latest, we finally have a team up top that is actually actively running the organization. Nintendo who?

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy to hear 11 will be retired, but it's interesting since I believe one of the policies of the organization was that a player needed to be in the Hall. I'm glad there is some wiggle room there, at least for now. Edgar deserves both, but retiring his number is a no brainer.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy to hear 11 will be retired, but it's interesting since I believe one of the policies of the organization was that a player needed to be in the Hall. I'm glad there is some wiggle room there, at least for now. Edgar deserves both, but retiring his number is a no brainer.
This isn't the same ol' Mariners. New regime, new policies, actual direction.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad Edgar is getting his number retired and also glad they are doing it against the Angels, not a team that generates no buzz around the stadium.

On a side note they brought up an interesting topic about whether Randy's should be retired mext. It's inevitable Ichiro will, so do they wait and do it together or just erase Randy's contribution. I say give Randy his own weekend like Junior and Edgar got/will get.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad Edgar is getting his number retired and also glad they are doing it against the Angels, not a team that generates no buzz around the stadium.

Retiring Edgar's number is going to generate buzz no matter who they play, so I don't see the logic in having it against the Angels (from a financial/attendance standpoint). Angels are going to draw a big crowd on the road regardless (majority of their games at Safeco last year had an attendance 40K+). They could've potentially turn a 23K attendance game into a 45K attendance game as opposed to a 40K game turning into a 45K game.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Retiring Edgar's number is going to generate buzz no matter who they play, so I don't see the logic in having it against the Angels (from a financial/attendance standpoint). Angels are going to draw a big crowd on the road regardless (majority of their games at Safeco last year had an attendance 40K+). They could've potentially turn a 23K attendance game into a 45K attendance game as opposed to a 40K game turning into a 45K game.

you are right... But it is a little disrespectful to the player to also have the day vs a team that the mariners have NO history with... Like the Rays... Angels are a rival, they know people will come... and that is a good safety, how embarrassing would it be if they are not crowded that day(not saying it would happen)...

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The promotional schedule came out today and it looks like Edgar's number retirement is going to be part of Edgar Martinez Weekend that weekend, which I sorta figured they were gonna do. It also happens to be the only weekend in August they can do it with so few home games that month. One of the more interesting promotions I saw on there was an Ichiro Dual Bobblehead for when the Marlins come to town in April. One more chance to get an Ichiro bobblehead before his inevitable number retirement bobblehead I guess. Also of note is replica Griffey Statue Night on April 14th. Guess that means the real one is going to be unveiled during the opening homestand.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True in a way, but I've been to games where they are honoring people and in the third inning 15k leave. I like that it is against a team where people hopefully will stay.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you are right... But it is a little disrespectful to the player to also have the day vs a team that the mariners have NO history with... Like the Rays... Angels are a rival, they know people will come... and that is a good safety, how embarrassing would it be if they are not crowded that day(not saying it would happen)...

They'd sell it out but the problem is the mass exodus that happens if it were say the Rays or Twins or some fan base that doesn't have transplants out in Washington.