• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Marcus Mariota Three Year Career So Far.....

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen several who think that Mariota isn't any good or some go as far as to say he is a bust. Overall he has done a good job in Tennessee and there is no denying that the recently fired head coach put Mariota in an ill fitting scheme that didn't take advantage of his strengths whatsoever.

I do think the next head coach and OC will be able to put him in the right scheme and take advantage of his skill set.

There is plenty to build off of including going to the playoffs,getting a playoff win and Mariota led the NFL with four 4th quarter comebacks and five game winning drives the most of any NFL QB in 2017. In his three year career he has eight 4th quarter comebacks and nine game winning drives. He also has led the Titans to a better record every year in each of his first three seasons.

Mariota's very first game gained a perfect passer rating of 158.3, making him the first quarterback in NFL history to attain a perfect passer rating in his first regular season game. Mariota became the first quarterback in NFL history to throw four touchdown passes in the first half of his NFL debut. He is also the youngest quarterback to reach the perfect passer rating in his first game as well.

Mariota holds an NFL record for touchdown passes in his first three games with eight.

Became the first rookie quarterback in NFL history to have two games with four touchdowns and no interceptions in his first fourth-quarter/overtime comeback in a 34–28 overtime win over the New Orleans Saints, a game in which Mariota threw for a career-high 371 yards and four touchdowns.

First player NFL history with 250+ pass yds, 100+ rush yds & 3 TD passes in a game against the Jacksonville Jaguars, he went 20-of-29, throwing for 268 yards with three touchdowns. He also ran for 112 yards on the day, including an 87-yard run for a touchdown one of the longest in NFL history for a QB.

Became the first NFL player since Walter Payton in the 1983 season to pass for a touchdown, rush for a touchdown and catch a touchdown pass of at least 40 yards. At the N.Y. Jets caught a 41-yard passing touchdown in the wildcat formation. Mariota became the first quarterback in franchise history to catch a touchdown reception.

Four games with three or more touchdowns tied Peyton Manning (1998) as the most ever by a rookie QB.

Named AFC Offensive Player of the Month for November 2016 after passing for 1,124 yards with 11 touchdowns and just two interceptions.

Led Titans to 35 points in one half against Green Bay the most scored in one half in 2016 and to 47 total points the most scored against Green Bay in over two decades.

Has 9 games with 100 passer rating/multiple TD’s only Dan Marino,Russell Wilson and Kurt Warner had more in their first 2 seasons at QB.

As of November 24,2016 Thanksgiving Day, Mariota is the first QB in modern NFL history with six four-TD performances in his first 22 career games. No other QB had more to start a career.

Led Titans to a 7-1 record in games decided by 3 points or less last two seasons. The .875 winning % in games decided by 3 or fewer points during that stretch is tied with Steelers for the best in the league.

Marcus Mariota is 1 of 5 QBs in NFL history with 9,000-plus pass yards (9,476) and 900-plus rush yards (913) in first three seasons.

During a wild card playoff game at Kansas City, Mariota became the first QB in NFL playoff history to catch his own pass for a touchdown after it was batted back to him by a defender.

Led biggest road playoff comeback ever at Kansas City coming back from 18 down winning 22-21

Led a 95-yard TD drive at Patriots. That's the longest scoring drive against Patriots in the postseason since Panthers had a 95-yard TD drive in Super Bowl XXXVIII.

Has 40TD and 0INT in red zone in hus career.

Last edited:

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, Mike. Coming off a season with more picks than TD’s, this hypetrain may need to sit at the trainstation for an offseason, and I think Mariota is a good QB when it’s said and done.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simple for me

Now that Marriotta has proven he cant stay healthy when being a dual threat

He is a bottom 10 QB in this league because he will never be a good enough pocket passer

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The heart of a champion but still plays like a developmental QB.

Right now I'd have him in the same tier as Bradford and Bridgewater. Good QBs but not (yet?) franchise QBs

Seeing threads like this really make me want the Chiefs to just completely change their whole defense.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess time will tell if the next guy can change that
Yeah, I just think last year demonstrated Mariota can be good. Obviously the stats kind of speak for themselves this year, but that Titans offense did Mariota very few favors. Team speed is near the bottom of the league on offense. The interior of the OL regressed, the WR's are slow, and Gronk/Kelce Walker is not good as he is. The offense looks like it was from 1987 instead of 2017. Additionally, the Titans were actually a pretty mediocre running team when you take out Mariota's rushing. That's before discussing Henry of course (who I don't think we're certain on yet, but needs an extended chance instead of this dumb purgatory he's in) versus Murray. If you're not good at your supposed identity, and you don't give Mariota much of a chance to pass, then how are you scoring? You don't, and you're probably a bad football team and I think the negative point differential reflects that.

Malarkey very much so deserved to be fired for this tankjob.

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, Mike. Coming off a season with more picks than TD’s, this hypetrain may need to sit at the trainstation for an offseason, and I think Mariota is a good QB when it’s said and done.

I think he will bounce back strong in '18 with a better OC hard to do anything in a predictable 1990's offense like Mularkey had them running, He has done good things his first three seasons.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I just think last year demonstrated Mariota can be good. Obviously the stats kind of speak for themselves this year, but that Titans offense did Mariota very few favors. Team speed is near the bottom of the league on offense. The interior of the OL regressed, the WR's are slow, and Gronk/Kelce Walker is not good as he is. The offense looks like it was from 1987 instead of 2017. Additionally, the Titans were actually a pretty mediocre running team when you take out Mariota's rushing. That's before discussing Henry of course (who I don't think we're certain on yet, but needs an extended chance instead of this dumb purgatory he's in) versus Murray. If you're not good at your supposed identity, and you don't give Mariota much of a chance to pass, then how are you scoring? You don't, and you're probably a bad football team and I think the negative point differential reflects that.

Malarkey very much so deserved to be fired for this tankjob.

My concern with him would be much like RG3...When the legs are removed as an asset, is he really a good enough starting QB?......How much can he improve as a pocket passer?......And I know he will still pick a spot to run, but I think they wisely realized he wont be holding up long if he ran like he did at Oregon

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My concern with him would be much like RG3...When the legs are removed as an asset, is he really a good enough starting QB?......How much can he improve as a pocket passer?......And I know he will still pick a spot to run, but I think they wisely realized he wont be holding up long if he ran like he did at Oregon
Yep. He doesn’t to seem to read the field too well, there were open receivers on some of those sacks.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he can get a little locked into his read too much and force it. Usually it's not interceptable, but the difficulty of the throw becomes inordinately high I've noticed. I know the interception he threw vs the Chiefs was definitely in that category along with the play design issues (see spacing if you don't believe me) that have already been talked about here

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's probably not as good as Mike thinks he is... but not as bad as some of the other guys in this thread think he is.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been three years all ready???

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen several who think that Mariota isn't any good or some go as far as to say he is a bust. Overall he has done a good job in Tennessee and there is no denying that the recently fired head coach put Mariota in an ill fitting scheme that didn't take advantage of his strengths whatsoever.

I do think the next head coach and OC will be able to put him in the right scheme and take advantage of his skill set.

There is plenty to build off of including going to the playoffs,getting a playoff win and Mariota led the NFL with four 4th quarter comebacks and five game winning drives the most of any NFL QB in 2017. In his three year career he has eight 4th quarter comebacks and nine game winning drives. He also has led the Titans to a better record every year in each of his first three seasons.

Mariota's very first game gained a perfect passer rating of 158.3, making him the first quarterback in NFL history to attain a perfect passer rating in his first regular season game. Mariota became the first quarterback in NFL history to throw four touchdown passes in the first half of his NFL debut. He is also the youngest quarterback to reach the perfect passer rating in his first game as well.

Mariota holds an NFL record for touchdown passes in his first three games with eight.

Became the first rookie quarterback in NFL history to have two games with four touchdowns and no interceptions in his first fourth-quarter/overtime comeback in a 34–28 overtime win over the New Orleans Saints, a game in which Mariota threw for a career-high 371 yards and four touchdowns.

First player NFL history with 250+ pass yds, 100+ rush yds & 3 TD passes in a game against the Jacksonville Jaguars, he went 20-of-29, throwing for 268 yards with three touchdowns. He also ran for 112 yards on the day, including an 87-yard run for a touchdown one of the longest in NFL history for a QB.

Became the first NFL player since Walter Payton in the 1983 season to pass for a touchdown, rush for a touchdown and catch a touchdown pass of at least 40 yards. At the N.Y. Jets caught a 41-yard passing touchdown in the wildcat formation. Mariota became the first quarterback in franchise history to catch a touchdown reception.

Four games with three or more touchdowns tied Peyton Manning (1998) as the most ever by a rookie QB.

Named AFC Offensive Player of the Month for November 2016 after passing for 1,124 yards with 11 touchdowns and just two interceptions.

Led Titans to 35 points in one half against Green Bay the most scored in one half in 2016 and to 47 total points the most scored against Green Bay in over two decades.

Has 9 games with 100 passer rating/multiple TD’s only Dan Marino,Russell Wilson and Kurt Warner had more in their first 2 seasons at QB.

As of November 24,2016 Thanksgiving Day, Mariota is the first QB in modern NFL history with six four-TD performances in his first 22 career games. No other QB had more to start a career.

Led Titans to a 7-1 record in games decided by 3 points or less last two seasons. The .875 winning % in games decided by 3 or fewer points during that stretch is tied with Steelers for the best in the league.

Marcus Mariota is 1 of 5 QBs in NFL history with 9,000-plus pass yards (9,476) and 900-plus rush yards (913) in first three seasons.

During a wild card playoff game at Kansas City, Mariota became the first QB in NFL playoff history to catch his own pass for a touchdown after it was batted back to him by a defender.

Led biggest road playoff comeback ever at Kansas City coming back from 18 down winning 22-21

Led a 95-yard TD drive at Patriots. That's the longest scoring drive against Patriots in the postseason since Panthers had a 95-yard TD drive in Super Bowl XXXVIII.

Has 40TD and 0INT in red zone in hus career.

A lot of these are fluff stats. Like catching his own pass, or leading a 95 yard garbage time TD drive.

Even the passer rating and rookie TD thing. As passing stats have become so bloated/inflated over just this past decade.

The red zone numbers are impressive.

Mariota is not yet a bust. However, he was downright poor this year and showed signs of regression. Doing so against the 30th SOS in football.

Mariota struggles with his reads/progressions, which is a symptom that effects many single-read spread college QB's.

He tends to look really good against sub-standard D's, and consistently get shutdown in a big way against the better ones.

Next year is the final one of his rookie contract, and it's make or break.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of these are fluff stats. Like catching his own pass, or leading a 95 yard garbage time TD drive.

Even the passer rating and rookie TD thing. As passing stats have become so bloated/inflated over just this past decade.

The red zone numbers are impressive.

Mariota is not yet a bust. However, he was downright poor this year and showed signs of regression. Doing so against the 30th SOS in football.

Mariota struggles with his reads/progressions, which is a symptom that effects many single-read spread college QB's.

He tends to look really good against sub-standard D's, and consistently get shutdown in a big way against the better ones.

Next year is the final one of his rookie contract, and it's make or break.
Well, he has his 5th year option which I'd be almost certain the Titans pick up, but sure.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, he has his 5th year option which I'd be almost certain the Titans pick up, but sure.

I did not know that. Never mind, then.

It would take a very bad year for Tennessee to decline that option. I agree.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did not know that. Never mind, then.

It would take a very bad year for Tennessee to decline that option. I agree.
Well, they have to decide this offseason IIRC being that it's after the 3rd year. That's the way these 5th year options work if my memory holds. Also eligible for an extension now if they wanted to do that for some reason.