• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Mahomes Week 17

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, we do get a Mahomes start this season. Looking forward to see how he does even if it's predominantly backups.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting decision by Andy Reid but it makes sense with the Chiefs playoff seeding all locked up. The Broncos will take one last look at Paxton Lynch to see if he figures at all into the quarterback search of 2018. I would expect Lynch to struggle, as he's done so far but Mahomes is a complete unknown. The Broncos defense is playing for pride now, so I would expect them to make it a tough day for the Chiefs rookie QB. Making his first start, on the road at Mile High is a pretty tall order. Then again, the Broncos season is over so they may not play all that hard. Meaningless game but has a couple interesting twists that could be fun to watch.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be shocked at all if the Broncos run the most vanilla defenses possible to make Mahomes look good so they can go after Alex Smith on the open market.

This has to be the weirdest 'meaningless' game I've seen in a long time.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imo, Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce need to sit, too.

Hill might be one of the 5 best receivers in the NFL. His work in the Dolphins game was pretty amazing.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be shocked at all if the Broncos run the most vanilla defenses possible to make Mahomes look good so they can go after Alex Smith on the open market.

This has to be the weirdest 'meaningless' game I've seen in a long time.

Haha! I never thought of that. Good idea. Alex Smith would be a nice upgrade for the Broncos in 2018 (never thought I would utter those words).

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha! I never thought of that. Good idea. Alex Smith would be a nice upgrade for the Broncos in 2018 (never thought I would utter those words).
I'm sure the current Broncos team would just be happy to get him off the Chiefs regardless if he ends up on the Broncos.

I'm.....not really sure how the Chiefs will be able to afford to keep Alex Smith. Chiefs are probably going into their most important offseason in recent memory.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a great game. I almost feel bad that we don't have Dorsey anymore with how well the backups played.

Ravens game distracting me from the injury report

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kpassagnon got 2 sacks.

Hunt with the rushing title.

Mahomes 100% looks like a starter.

Nice, nice. Now let's throw some dice out there for a SB.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My wife said that the 'Mah-hammy' guy was pretty good.

I thought he did most of his damage against the blitz but he also made most of his mistakes against pressure. It looked like the Chiefs (backup) oline was outmanned for most of the game and Mahomes just did his thing.

I really want to see what he can do with Hill. With Mahomes arm strength, Hill has to carry a lot of respect moving forward.

I think the Chiefs ran behind Ehinger and Devey on Hunts big TD run. The Broncos got out of position and Ehinger basically shielded the only guy that could've made a play.

Apparently PFF thinks Justin Hamilton had a good game. I...had no idea he was on the team and I'm not familiar with him at all but...Good News!

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
General feeling from this game I have:

For one, I absolutely was impressed with Mahomes managed to accomplish with what quite frankly was a joke of a roster the Chiefs ran out there. That's a 5 or 6 win team that ran out there as week 17 was constructed. Luckily Morse, Tardif, Fisher, Kelce, and Hill for one are Chiefs for next year. Mahomes made a lot of plays that really should be dead. That offense really didn't have any business scoring over 13 points. In 28 snaps, Albert Wilson looks like Jerry Rice which is the most Week 17 thing I've ever seen, but I have to eat some crow on Wilson. If his contract demands are reasonable, is it really a bad thing to keep the guy as a super WR3 that can stretch the field? Can't say I think he's great, but he definitely has value to an NFL roster thin at WR. I really like Conley as a cheap #2, but coming off an achilles and ????'s between Chesson and Robinson, it's worth a passing thought after Sunday.

For Mahomes to average a YPA over 8 despite the roster and drops is quite frankly remarkable in my view. Did Mahomes make some dumbass mistakes? Yep- (see PFF grade) but when he was on schedule he was excellent in my view. Kelce, Hill, and Hunt are exactly the kind of guys you want to keep this guy on schedule; make his job easy with a wide open receiver down the middle of the field. Mechanics when he was on schedule (usually a proxy for not pressured in this game) there was a ton to like here even under center. It may take a year, if things go well, to weed out the worst of it, but the future on offense looks very bright. In terrible circumstances, Mahomes persevered rather than was a function of a terrible roster.

Speaking of the center, Devey cannot be on this roster next year. Find a new backup center as Fulton (blessed be he) is likely gone. Ehinger looks rosterable. I must confess Witzman looks better than Ehinger did at RG, though I would like to see Ehinger with a full offseason to build muscle if that's possible for him. This discussion at LG is not over at all, imo. Schwartz is still worth every penny the Chiefs are paying him. Tardif's value is real apparent when Ehinger was in there as well. I don't know what the heck happened to Fisher this year be it a lingering back or otherwise, but this year has been well below my expectations for him and just OT's in general.

Chesson just straight up did not do anything to impress. Was curious to see what he can do, and outside of ST's I am not sure he brings value to roster anyway. The B word is going to find this guy real quick if he doesn't make an impact of some kind next year. Robinson at least showed something when things broke down.

The defense allowed what quite frankly is a bad QB to have a YPA over 8. Spare me the junk takeaways, it's not a great endorsement of a defense. It's not an accomplishment to wear a Paxton Lynch sucks sticker on a 4th and forever-and-desperate throw. That's awful- spare me the INT's and the sacks. There was some individual good play which is a good sign, but the only good thing to say about the defense in this game is they bent but didn't break; and I can't say I believe in that concept. Kpassagnon did some nice things and may have some kind of future which is nice. Near-term I wonder if he gets a snap bump in the playoffs, but that says more about Zombo than anything. McQuay I am curious to see in preseason next year, might be an actual depth piece instead of just ST fodder which is a win for a 6th round pick, imo. Terrell and McQuay lengthening safety would be nice. No firm opinions on Eligwe. The defense quite frankly needs an overhaul. I don't need to tell anyone here that, but I have to say I would not complain one iota if the draft was for all intents and purposes straight defense. Decisions will need to be made with Ford and Revis (lol) as well in the offseason. I am operating on the assumption the Chiefs lose in the divisional and don't start triggering Revis' incentives. Justin Hamilton showed enough to get thrown a bone for next year as well on the DL. This D needs any depth it can get so I'll take it- will have an eye on him next preseason.

Also, lastly: The kick returners are straight garbage. Greater than 80% chance I throw a fit if Hill isn't back there for the playoffs.

Last edited: