• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lynch to Raiders trade done!

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An exchange of late round 2018 draft picks?!?

Seahawks, Raiders agree to trade for Marshawn Lynch's rights

I am not even sure if "better than nothing" comes into play here.

I understand that an unretiring 31 year old HB does not typically have much value but Lynch is borderline HOF (with a few more yards tacked on at least). I was hoping to get a 5th or so for his rights.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This compensation is just an indicator of how little leverage the Hawks had here due to the big dollars remaining on BM's deal. This is way less surprising to me than if they just gave us a 4th or even 5th rounder.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raiders better draft a RB... I'm not sure Lynch after basically being out of football for 2 years is going to come in and do great things... but we'll see. That said, not at all surprised on the trade or the tiny swap of picks.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This compensation is just an indicator of how little leverage the Hawks had here due to the big dollars remaining on BM's deal. This is way less surprising to me than if they just gave us a 4th or even 5th rounder.

The Hawks actually had all of the leverage. They could just as easily said no and let Lynch stay retired. No skin off Seattle's nose from a team standpoint but they could have/would have taken a shot from the player respect standpoint if they stood in Lynch's way.

Maybe I was expecting too much but it still seems like very little return for a player of Lynch's previous status.

BTW: I fully expect Lynch to renegotiate his contract. He won't get the money currently remaining on it.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We got what he was worth to us, which was zilch.
No disrespect meant.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Hawks actually had all of the leverage. They could just as easily said no and let Lynch stay retired.
Not true. It's not Seattle's choice as to whether Lynch stays retired. Totally on Lynch. If the Hawks would have played hard ball with the Raiders on the trade, Lynch could still un-retire and show up to work at the VMAC and be owed $9M by the Hawks for the '17 season by the terms of his contract...in which case they would cut him and allow him to go off to Oakland and receive nothing at all in return. The Hawks had virtually no leverage here.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Hawks actually had all of the leverage. They could just as easily said no and let Lynch stay retired. No skin off Seattle's nose from a team standpoint but they could have/would have taken a shot from the player respect standpoint if they stood in Lynch's way.

Maybe I was expecting too much but it still seems like very little return for a player of Lynch's previous status.

BTW: I fully expect Lynch to renegotiate his contract. He won't get the money currently remaining on it.

The moment Lynch unretires he goes back on the salary cap.

To me this is something for nothing and I'm fine with it.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the Hawks gave him that salary with the inflated last year knowing he was planning on retiring they handcuffed themselves. As far as I am concerned we paid $2.5 million to Lynch for a swap in picks. In theory, we got zero compensation since we paid for that swap.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I stand corrected. I did not consider the salary cap implications on the Hawks.

Anyway, good luck to Lynch. Hope it works out for him.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the detail are out. Oakland's 2018 5th for Lynch's rights and Seattle's 2018 6th.

On an interesting note: I read in an article that despite Lynch missing all of last year and 9 games the year before, he still had 66 more broken tackles over the last 4 years than the next closest back. That is pretty incredible!

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sharing my thoughts on the trade that I puked out on fb yesterday:

My take on the Lynch trade: it's an olive branch extended to the fans by the ownership on the heels of the announcement they'll be moving to Vegas. Beast Mode will be a glorified mascot for them. He may have some good games here and there and undoubtedly a play once in a while that reminds us of how great he once was, but overall production is probably not going to be anything special. His last good season was 2014, and now he's 31 with pretty high mileage. But I'm sure Oakland fans are happy...."Hey, we got our team ripped from us...again...but at least we got to root for Lynch during the lame duck season(s)!" Jerseys will fly off the shelves as well.

And to those who scoff at the measley price that Seattle was able to fetch, you need to understand that the Hawks had no trade leverage here. Lynch's contract with Seattle would pay him $9M if he unretired and reported for duty at the VMAC, a pricetag well beyond anything the Hawks would work with after already signing Lacy for barely over half that (and this is in addition to the reality that the relationship had run its course anyway). Seattle would have had to cut him, then Lynch would have been free to sign with Oakland with zero compensation. The Hawks knew that, the Raiders knew that, and Lynch (agent) knew that. So no, the Hawks didn't make some charity deal or get hosed; they got what they could get, and it's more than the nothing they were going to receive had Lynch just stayed retired.

Best of luck to him though. He was a great Seahawk and will hopefully go into the HOF as one some day.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I predict 3.8 ypc, but he'll definitely draw a big crowd.

They had the best pass blocking OL in the league last year, but their halfback was not good at breaking tackles or getting extra yards (he ranked somewhere down in the low 60's among qualified backs which is near the very bottom).

It is possible that Lynch just needed to rest up his body and recupe for a year and that he could return to form behind what is possibly a very good OL. Or he could just go belly up and look dead out there.

One thing about Lynch is that he always played hard. My guess is that he will put out a serious effort if nothing else and should be able to get 800-1000+ yards barring injury with 15 carries per game as their main back in a platoon situation.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL Network has his deal with the Raiders at $9 million over 2 years. I don't know what the guarantees are, but assuming this is his last go-around in the NFL, there's probably a pretty sizeable guarantee in there.

From the Seahawks side of things, I think they made the best deal they could for a guy in his 30's who hasn't played for over a year. It sucks that he's not ending his career as a Seahawk, but at least we got something for him and he gets to go play at home while that franchise is still there. I think it'll be a win-win. The Hawks have a decent track record with mid round picks under Carroll and Schneider as we know. I think expecting to get more than we got under the circumstances was expecting too much. Best of luck to Beast Mode in Oakland and maybe we'll see him in late August/early September in a preseason game (unlikely, I know).

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They had the best pass blocking OL in the league last year, but their halfback was not good at breaking tackles or getting extra yards (he ranked somewhere down in the low 60's among qualified backs which is near the very bottom).

It is possible that Lynch just needed to rest up his body and recupe for a year and that he could return to form behind what is possibly a very good OL. Or he could just go belly up and look dead out there.

One thing about Lynch is that he always played hard. My guess is that he will put out a serious effort if nothing else and should be able to get 800-1000+ yards barring injury with 15 carries per game as their main back in a platoon situation.
I am not saying it's impossible for him to be "good" in his return. I just think it's unlikely. He was 29 and averaged 3.8 ypc with the Hawks in '15. We hammer the OL a lot, but Rawls averaged 5.6 behind the same line that year.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not saying it's impossible for him to be "good" in his return. I just think it's unlikely. He was 29 and averaged 3.8 ypc with the Hawks in '15. We hammer the OL a lot, but Rawls averaged 5.6 behind the same line that year.

Totally true but he was injured. Rawls also turned to crap when he was injured. I am assuming that Lynch is healed up so he should perform better.

Injuries are key here. If he gets nicked up again, then he will probably underacheive and miss games. If he can stay healthy, then he can be a factor. Big ifs on this situation.