• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

loooooong season

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we could always try to trade contracts later on... if
Hartnell won't be tradeale until 2018, Clarkson won be tradeable until 2019. Even then, you would probably have to give up draft picks to a team if they're going to take on those contracts. It wouldn't be worth it just for the #3 pick. For the amount Clarkson & Hartnell make, you could just sign a superstar (a Stamkos caliber player) or 2 solid players.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we could always try to trade contracts later on... if
The only hope would be possibly a loop hole in LTIR. And even that would be sketchy and a long shot.l It would be playing with fire. I wasn't fond of the RNH for Larsson rumor. Im realy not liking this one. The devils do have some cap to play with. But they also have a couple bad contracts in Zajac and Greene. RFA's and UFA's they need to sign Palmieri ,Boucher....And A whole lot of holes to fill.

HockeyBuzz.com - NHL Rumors

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hartnell won't be tradeale until 2018, Clarkson won be tradeable until 2019. Even then, you would probably have to give up draft picks to a team if they're going to take on those contracts. It wouldn't be worth it just for the #3 pick. For the amount Clarkson & Hartnell make, you could just sign a superstar (a Stamkos caliber player) or 2 solid players.
I really see Stamkos going to Buffalo. They're close to home,May be the closet team to a contender that can pay and he would be A great fit. Especially paired with Eichel. And from what i read their geared up to go all in. Rumors they are ready to offer in the 12 mil a year range

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really see Stamkos going to Buffalo. They're close to home,May be the closet team to a contender that can pay and he would be A great fit. Especially paired with Eichel. And from what i read their geared up to go all in. Rumors they are ready to offer in the 12 mil a year range
I'm just saying that for the $11 million cap hit that comes with Clarkson & Hartnell's contracts, Devils would be better off trying to sign a high profile superstar.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:
Would not only set the Devils back, but it would also hinder any chances of rebuilding for another 2-3 years.
While the 3rd over all pick may seem very tempting. The cost it would come with would be extremely damaging to their future.Way more risk than reward. Hopefully Shero doesn't bite

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While the 3rd over all pick may seem very tempting. The cost it would come with would be extremely damaging to their future.Way more risk than reward. Hopefully Shero doesn't bite
Yeah, the 3rd overall pick is just a shiny object being used to bait the Devils into taking on some very bad contracts. Wouldn't even make that trade if the Blue Jackets were offering the 1st overall pick.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the 3rd overall pick is just a shiny object being used to bait the Devils into taking on some very bad contracts. Wouldn't even make that trade if the Blue Jackets were offering the 1st overall pick.
Their best move would be ignore the temptation. Focus on Palmieri's contract. Go with the some of the younger guys like Boucher and Blandisi. And see if they can land some feasible goal scorers via free agency to fill the holes. I know the list of quality forwards isn't as big as it has been in past years. But I would rather they rebuild over the next few seasons. than lock the cap up with bad long term contracts

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It's not even a real rumor though the jackets would never offer it. They are going to suck for the next three to five years and load up on top five picks. When those picks are hitting their stride in the nhl all the bad contracts are gone.

Thats what I would do if I'm the jackets. It's like a reverse rebuild. Instead of rebuilding with the cap floor they are rebuilding with a big cap hit and no talent.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not even a real rumor though the jackets would never offer it. They are going to suck for the next three to five years and load up on top five picks. When those picks are hitting their stride in the nhl all the bad contracts are gone.

Thats what I would do if I'm the jackets. It's like a reverse rebuild. Instead of rebuilding with the cap floor they are rebuilding with a big cap hit and no talent.
By the time their draft picks reach full stride, they'll want to go somewhere else.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Even the #1 pick wouldn't be worth it IMO. You would have over $10 million in cap space tied to 2 dead weight players until 2019 if you agreed to this deal.

They get the third pick and he is on an entry level contract savings right there.

They still need to reach the cap floor. Problem solved with clarkson and hartnall. The Devils fourth line is all ufa. Don't bring back gionta or tootoo and tulsty figure each one gets a million dollars. Now clarkson hartnall is a +7 million salary gain.

I would make the deal if the 3 pick turns into anyone of the young guns I mentioned was taken 3 in the past.

Hell if all else fails just buy them out. Telling me a devils team with last year #6. This year #3 and #11 won't look beastly three to five years from now? When clarkson and hartnall will be ending their contracts?

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
By the time their draft picks reach full stride, they'll want to go somewhere else.

If your going to worry about that just relocate he team because they wouldn't want to stay there with a winning team either.

Hell even say the cap only goes up 2 million a year for the next five years. That's 10 million more then today. 10 million gone in clarkson and harnatall you can throw serious money at whoever you want

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They get the third pick and he is on an entry level contract savings right there.

They still need to reach the cap floor. Problem solved with clarkson and hartnall. The Devils fourth line is all ufa. Don't bring back gionta or tootoo and tulsty figure each one gets a million dollars. Now clarkson hartnall is a +7 million salary gain.

I would make the deal if the 3 pick turns into anyone of the young guns I mentioned was taken 3 in the past.

Hell if all else fails just buy them out. Telling me a devils team with last year #6. This year #3 and #11 won't look beastly three to five years from now? When clarkson and hartnall will be ending their contracts?
Cap floor deals are usually just for 1 year, not 3 year & 4 year deals.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If your going to worry about that just relocate he team because they wouldn't want to stay there with a winning team either.

Hell even say the cap only goes up 2 million a year for the next five years. That's 10 million more then today. 10 million gone in clarkson and harnatall you can throw serious money at whoever you want
They still have to re-sign the players they already have until then. It's not as simple as just having those massive multi year deals & waiting for them to expire. Think about how the Ilya Kovalchuk contract prevented the Devils from re-signing Zach Parise.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yeah i get that cap floor deals are usually more like the savard/datz contracts. those deals only bring back 3rd round picks. we are talking about the #3 pick in the draft your going to have to give something more up to get it. it all boils down to how much is the #3 pick in the draft worth? obviously its a crap shoot what if the prospect busts? but lets say he doesn't its a sure fire player. is it worth the 7 million hartnall and clarkson would cost you a year?

yeah columbus still has players to sign i'm sure and stuff like that but hey where there is a will there is a way. again this isn't a team that is going to be competing for anything anytime soon so they really shouldn't be buyers at the deadline or during ufa.

also never say never about bad contracts being moved. gomez got moved

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah i get that cap floor deals are usually more like the savard/datz contracts. those deals only bring back 3rd round picks. we are talking about the #3 pick in the draft your going to have to give something more up to get it. it all boils down to how much is the #3 pick in the draft worth? obviously its a crap shoot what if the prospect busts? but lets say he doesn't its a sure fire player. is it worth the 7 million hartnall and clarkson would cost you a year?

yeah columbus still has players to sign i'm sure and stuff like that but hey where there is a will there is a way. again this isn't a team that is going to be competing for anything anytime soon so they really shouldn't be buyers at the deadline or during ufa.

also never say never about bad contracts being moved. gomez got moved
In fairness to Scott Gomez, he was still putting up good numbers when the Rangers traded him to the Canadiens. Also, Gomez brought championship experience that David Clarkson does not. I'm not saying it's impossible to trade away such a contract, but you would likely have to give up several draft picks & possibly even a high end prospect to do so (probably even take a cap hit from buying the contract out). Not really worth it IMO.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It is actually a real rumor. Its well known the Jackets are shopping the 3rd pick because of their cap situation. The do not have many potential partners. Not many teams can or would take the risk. The Devils are one of fw. Which is why I'm really hoping they don't take the bait. And why it would be virtually impossible to move clarkson or Hartnell if they did

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is actually a real rumor. Its well known the Jackets are shopping the 3rd pick because of their cap situation. The do not have many potential partners. Not many teams can or would take the risk. The Devils are one of fw. Which is why I'm really hoping they don't take the bait. And why it would be virtually impossible to move clarkson or Hartnell if they did
I might take a chance on Hartnell, but I would stay away from Clarkson.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I might take a chance on Hartnell, but I would stay away from Clarkson.
I wouldnt want to go near either imo. The devils filled a need with size and speed down the middle tonight. He's also been slated as the best skater in the draft. Mcleod has intelligence,work ethic and skill. The things you cant teach. He's low risk high reward. They also added a pick by moving down. Im almost curious if hero loads up on skill. Or packages a trade with the extra picks