• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Looking to Utah....

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't tell if this team looks past teams or not.

With Utah @ the Rose Bowl next week and them Ducks the week next, I hope 'looking to Utah' is on Jim Mora's mind....

Did we look past UVA?

Memphis?

And are we just ordinary without Brett Hundley like we were @ Texas?

Maybe we really are the team talking heads were trumping us up to be.

Maybe we really are the team ASU had to endure...

Either way, this Utah team will catch the Bruins team if they are flat footed and worried about Oregon the following week.

Thoughts? :noidea:

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oct. 4 vs. Utah

hi-res-d5680a2281acd60b9f4529f48f6a6e98_crop_north.jpg

In the last two seasons, Utah has played UCLA very tough, with the Bruins winning both contests by a touchdown.

A Kyle Whittingham team generally possesses toughness and discipline. Additionally, the special teams unit is the best in the conference.

Kaelin Clay has proven to be potentially the most electric kick returner in the country. The kicking duo of Tom Hackett and Andy Phillips is also excellent.

Utah does have deficiencies in the secondary and up front on both lines. Additionally, signal-caller Travis Wilson hasn't looked great early this year.

Utah's offense in general does struggle to put points on the board. The Utes have combined for only two offensive touchdowns in the past two games.

UCLA needs to shut down Utah's rushing attack, which is buoyed by talented back Devontae Booker. If it can do that, Wilson will have to try and beat the Bruins with his arm. This isn't necessarily the best scenario for Utah.

One caution for the Bruins: The following week, the Oregon Ducks come to town. UCLA needs to prevent the "looking ahead" aspect.

Mora spoke about this challenge with Matt Piper and Kyle Goon of The Salt Lake Tribune:
It's a week-to-week proposition. This week we're playing a team that had a tremendous win last time they went on the road. If you talk about not overlooking guys, it can get into players' heads and be kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy. For us, it's about trying to play up to our standard.
I expect the Bruins to come out in front of a home crowd focused and energized. UCLA will win this game rather comfortably.

Verdict: Win

Story

Last edited by a moderator:

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UCLA Football: Game-by-Game Predictions for Month of October

One thing about this Bleacher Report Story.

You have to laugh at BR as they challenge Jim Mora to not look ahead in an article where they look ahead !!

:pound::pound:

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice Preview from Bleacher Report

hi-res-374e8812fa0e57acd483eb062dc1795d_crop_north.jpg

Expectations for Jim Mora and the No. 8 UCLA Bruins are incredibly high. After demolishing Arizona State last week, many people have seemingly jumped back onto the Bruins bandwagon after a slow start to the season.

For a program languishing in mediocrity before Mora's arrival, this is foreign territory. UCLA hasn't been considered a top-10 team since the days of DeShaun Foster and Cade McNown (aside from a brief time in 2005).
With expectations come pressure and, thus, a potentially inflated ego. A younger team (such as UCLA) could be more susceptible to losing a game it shouldn't.

"Trap games" also seemingly pop up at the most inopportune moments. UCLA potentially faces one this weekend, as it hosts a stingy Utah team.

Why is this a dangerous game?

The following week, UCLA will host No. 2 Oregon Ducks in Pasadena, California. If both the Ducks and Bruins can remain undefeated, next week's contest will likely be the most significant game at the Rose Bowl involving UCLA in over a decade.

Kyle Whittingham's team enters the contest having lost a tough game last week to Washington State. The Cougars outscored the Utes 28-6 after the first quarter, narrowly winning the game by a point.

After the big win over Michigan in Ann Arbor, this was a difficult defeat to swallow.

Make no mistake, Utah is a talented team. Dres Anderson is one of the best wide receivers in the Pac-12 Conference. The special teams unit is potentially the best in the country. The kicking duo of Tom Hackett and Andy Phillips is excellent, and returner Kaelin Clay has already scored four touchdowns on kick and punt returns.

Defensive coordinator Kalani Sitake is also adept at bringing pressure in creative and exotic ways. As Mora told Kyle Goon and Matt Piper of The Salt Lake Tribune, "This is an outstanding defense. They actually use their linebackers well to get pressure. What they do is kind of simple, but also difficult because of their speed and decisiveness."

hi-res-0d372c9eadaa2fe560313de250d8e8ec_crop_exact.jpg

Utah doesn't have the "sexy" appeal of an Oregon or Southern Cal. Nonetheless, the Utes are a very respectable opponent.

In terms of a schematic standpoint, this piece will address areas in which UCLA can avoid a letdown before a potentially colossal affair the following week.

Make Travis Wilson Uncomfortable
Utah's signal-caller isn't the most accurate quarterback. His shaky footwork and funky release directly correlate with a 58.3 percent completion rate on the year. Although he's thrown seven touchdowns and no interceptions, the Utah offense has sputtered in recent weeks.

The Utes were able to score only one offensive touchdown in each of the past two games. Much of the scoring output has come from the special teams and defense. Against Washington State, Wilson went 18-of-38 for 165 yards.
Wilson gets into trouble when he tries to force things down the field. It appears he has improved in the area—as evidenced by not throwing an interception to date this season.

Against UCLA a year ago, he threw six interceptions. The Bruins brought pressure early and often against the signal-caller. Wilson got flustered in the pocket, and it contributed to poor throws.

UCLA hopes it can recreate the same scenario again on Saturday night.

Stop The Run
Utah running back Devontae Booker leads Utah in rushing with 357 yards and three touchdowns. He's a physical runner with impressive breakaway speed.

[YOUTUBE]09cP7EdfQzo&feature=youtu.be[/YOUTUBE]

Devontae Booker's 76-yard TD run against Washington State - YouTube

UCLA will have to bottle up the talented back. The Bruins' best shot at victory is slowing the run, while having Wilson try to beat them with his arm. The strength of Utah's offensive line appears to be in regards to its run-blocking capabilities.

In terms of pass protection, it's a different story. Wilson was constantly badgered by pressure last week when he attempted to drop back and throw the football down the field. Utah's offensive line is massive but not overly athletic or mobile.

This bodes well for the likes of UCLA edge-rushers Deon Hollins, Owamagbe Odighizuwa and Takk McKinley.

Should Booker sustain success rushing the football, it will take pressure off Wilson. It will also open things down the field for Anderson, Clay and Kenneth Scott.

Control Kaelin Clay
With Utah's offensive struggles in recent weeks, the electric returner out of Long Beach has given the team multiple shots in the arm—via four touchdown returns on punts and kickoffs. Not only does it give Utah points, but these awesome displays of athleticism also boost the team's morale considerably.

Utah's Kaelin Clay Strikes Heisman Pose vs Michigan - YouTube

Per Jack Wang of the Los Angeles Daily News, UCLA will kick to Clay. As Mora said, "We kick off to whoever.

We have one of the best kickoff coverage units in college football. We have not given up a single yard yet in four games on a punt return."

UCLA does possess impressive statistics when it comes to defending against kicks. However, it still has to be very cognizant of Clay's return ability.

There are many signs that point to this being a potentially tough game for UCLA. Utah is a well-coached football team. It will certainly be wanting to atone for the loss last weekend.

However, this UCLA team appears to be on a mission. I expect Brett Hundley to have another great game, taking advantage of a thin and injured Utah secondary. I also believe UCLA's pass rush will get some production versus the Utes offensive line.

When speaking about the potential for "looking ahead" to Oregon, Mora said, via Piper and Goon: "It's a week-to-week proposition. This week we're playing a team that had a tremendous win last time they went on the road. If you talk about not overlooking guys, it can get into players' heads and be kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy. For us, it's about trying to play up to our standard."

If the players possess the same sort of mindset as their head coach, UCLA should be able to avoid any sort of letdown.

UCLA Football: What Bruins Must Do to Avoid Letdown Before Oregon Game | Bleacher Report

:suds:

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So....

Does anyone else think that 'part' of Oregon's problem last night was THEY were looking ahead to next week's game at the Rose Bowl?

ouendan1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So....

Does anyone else think that 'part' of Oregon's problem last night was THEY were looking ahead to next week's game at the Rose Bowl?

hindsight obviously 20/20, but they shouldn't have been. They knew it was Arizona who ended their national championship hopes (though they had already lost to Stanford). That team should have been pumped up for this game, looking for revenge. Instead they let a freshman QB in his second career start come into Autzen and leave with a win.

Shameful.

I live in East Lansing where MSU plays, there were a lot of smiles seeing the Ducks losing last night.

Number7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure I buy into the looking past a team theory. I think maybe you don't come out playing as tough against a team that "doesn't have a chance," but there are more obvious reasons why upsets happen. UCLA hasn't played that well against anyone other than ASU this season, so I don't feel confident we will handle Utah easily. I think it will be a fight just like the first couple games. I hope the Rose Bowl is rockin' though, I wish I could go.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure I buy into the looking past a team theory. I think maybe you don't come out playing as tough against a team that "doesn't have a chance," but there are more obvious reasons why upsets happen. UCLA hasn't played that well against anyone other than ASU this season, so I don't feel confident we will handle Utah easily. I think it will be a fight just like the first couple games. I hope the Rose Bowl is rockin' though, I wish I could go.
The coaches certainly can get started on preparing for the marquee match up and not worry about the team they are favored to win by 22 points at home.

I know I've heard coaches say for marquee games and preparing for Divisional foes as in the Pros they start a little early just because of the sheer importance of the contests.

I think you're on to something with playing as tough though. A lot of contributors can pile up in the making of an upset. TBT - I think the offensive line injuries are mostly Oregon's problem however. I hear after a couple of offensive line starters went down, they're backups went down too.

Number7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The coaches certainly can get started on preparing for the marquee match up and not worry about the team they are favored to win by 22 points at home.

I know I've heard coaches say for marquee games and preparing for Divisional foes as in the Pros they start a little early just because of the sheer importance of the contests.

I think you're on to something with playing as tough though. A lot of contributors can pile up in the making of an upset. TBT - I think the offensive line injuries are mostly Oregon's problem however. I hear after a couple of offensive line starters went down, they're backups went down too.

That true I wasn't really thinking of the coaches when I said that. Oversight.

And yeah, I think for Oregon it was both lines actually? The o line gets the brunt of the blame but the d line was bad too. They ran all over that D and the wholes up front were giant. I think Mariota wasn't the superman like figure everyone expected either. A lot of factors although I do think Zona is a better team than most people thought (I thought this before they beat the ducks).

In college football you've always gotta bring your best. Any loss can ruin your chances at the playoffs or a good bowl game so id like to think coaches/players aren't looking past anyone.

overtone22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oregon's main problem last night was their Hot Pink Unis. My squeeze thought they were great. That's about it.

I'll be at the game tomorrow night. Utah concerns me because pocket passers have given us trouble this season. Don't sleep on Travis Wilson. Dude is a So-Cal and can pile up serious numbers.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon's main problem last night was their Hot Pink Unis. My squeeze thought they were great. That's about it.

I'll be at the game tomorrow night. Utah concerns me because pocket passers have given us trouble this season. Don't sleep on Travis Wilson. Dude is a So-Cal and can pile up serious numbers.
Enjoy the game overtone!

Last week's pocket passer, Mike Bercovici (ASU) had - 488 YDS, 3 TD, 2 INT

I see it like this, Bruins have a gambling defense and when the defense scores and ST's score they should win and since UVA was the only place to date of Hundley's offense struggled.

Go Bruins!

ouendan1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
homecoming this weekend at my alma mater (Central Michigan) so I'll be missing this game. I hope UCLA was paying attention to the Oregon game. Upsets happen. Official Prediction is 34-20.

Number7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Horrible fucking game. Our O line is pathetic. We were not ready for the big time at all. For the first time in years the Bruins had a chance to fucking show the nation we were good and we shit the bed against Utah. O Line is so bad it's not even funny. Defense couldn't stop the run to save their lives. Just pure shit.

overtone22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defense couldn't stop the run to save their lives. Just pure shit.

The lack of defensive adjustments was what really killed us. Utah just controlled the game with time of possession and running the ball. They kept just pushing things outside and out running us. It was embarrassing. In the final yardage totals, the Utes didn't put up staggering numbers or even run a dynamic offense. They just controlled the ball.

Mora is usually better at making defensive adjustments, especially in the second half. I saw none of that Saturday night.