• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Long distance vehicle buying

The Future Modal

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hypothetical: You are searching for a particular used vehicle that's been hard to find locally, and you finally find one but it's 2,000 miles away.

How hard is it to facilitate the purchase in such a scenario? Any tips or tricks to make the process easier?

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off, I have no idea how to go about it.
Secondly, what kind of car is it that you can you only get 2000 miles away?

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somebody has to know the answer to this:

@ktg8trgrl
@Winged_Wheel88
@moxie
@bonham
@TemptressToo
@Shelby
@Rex Racer
@outofyourmind
@B_dub
@romeo212000
@tnapucco
@KansasSooner
@Jtrain80
@BoomerNTX
@Wishbone
@MarkOU
@sooner78wakeboard
@Scapegoat
@Proud_Okie
@Wheat
@Goldbug
@Pariah
@BusSport
@8085sooner
@Nosferatu
@thunderc
@Kevin12773
@Vitamike
@PhilSimms11
@GhostRiderRushville
@boltfan72
@SteelersPride
@packerzrule
@Used 2 B Hu
@Peter Gozintite
@TigerBait1971
@puckhead
@craigk217
@Inimical
@batchaps4me
@Manster7588
@Ewa PGH Fan
@pitman
@BoiseMike19
@BTHOtu
@BritishDolfan
@popeyecv64
@BigRedMoe
@gobigred
@gohusk
@Brasky
@huskers1217
@Tomhusker
@it'sHuskers4me
@HuskerOC
@Skerpokes
@Stinky56
@Carnzo
@KingKoolKat75
@58crash
@Eugene Baker III
@AlaskaGuy
@Guns N Guitars
@fordman84
@TheRangerDude
@beardown07
@omarsrevenge
@thedddd
@TheDayMan
@Olyduck
@lilchi721
@Used 2 B Hu
@USCDoom
@darken65
@mcnabb7542
@Debbie Does
@ill
@Wild Turkey
@7Samurai13
@RobToxin
@RobBase
@Inquisitor95
@Hook'Em0608
@TexasExes98
@Codaxx
@Texas Jefe
@TexasExes98
@ElTexan
@bamabear82
@Bamabino
@Bandwagonbo2
@theSabanator20
@GoldRusher
@There is A Moose at 3rd
@Cowboyinexile
@boomtown
@Wedgie
@potzer25
@Harry Seaword
@MISKO
@fordman84
@JuiceTheGator
@douggie
@FaCe-LeE-uS
@NEhomer
@obxyankeefan
@LambeauLegs
@handicappers
@Balljim55
@DetroitDevil
@Tin Man
@Nasty_Magician
@bocomo007
@Guy Incognito
@Think McFly Think
@Ritzarmy
@UK Cowboy
@wlk3
@MilkSpiller22
@Shanemansj13
@mr.hockey4242
@Mebert
@Godstree
@steveringo
@Wamu
@VFL1995
@trojanfan12
@socaljim242
@BigKen
@TheRobotDevil
@Clayton
@ATL96Steeler
@Tubbs1518
@IndyAndy
@The Crimson King
@gandydancer
@SJ76
@Wings
@wildturkey
@DrewScott
@TrustMeIamRight
@MAIZEandBLUE09
@Wingingit
@mall3013
@Airraidtech
@clemtheslowson
@Judge Fudge
@Macho Grande
@Dolgevillefootballfan
@seahawksfan234
@DutchBird
@PEOPLESCHICKEN
@megalodon30
@BigAppleBadger
@Bojack_Horseman
@Sharkonabicycle
@cwerph
@Deep Creek
@olympicoscar
@Vyle203
@ericd7633
@iowajerms
@rmilia1
@wingsauce7
@jwolt92
@nathans8823
@Fish
@Caneman
@Old Lion
@black francis
@blindbaby
@NCChiFan
@Duke of Douchington
@Full Potato
@Shower Fart
@Chris p Bacon
@God
@Midnightangel
@Used 2 B Hu
@Sexual Chocolate
@Used 2 B Hu
@Bayou Tiger

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hypothetical: You are searching for a particular used vehicle that's been hard to find locally, and you finally find one but it's 2,000 miles away.

How hard is it to facilitate the purchase in such a scenario? Any tips or tricks to make the process easier?
I deal with this all the time . You just need to call the dealership , ask the questions you have , get tons of pictures and a inspection report emailed to you . The dealer will not charge you tax as it's unlikely they'd have a dealer agreement with a dealership 2k miles away so you'd pay taxes and reg once you take delivery . As to picking the car up once it's bought that's trickier. Transport would be crazy expensive for a 2000 mile trip so it'd be cheaper to fly out and drive back but that would take a ton of time . You'd be best served negotiating transport into the deal. If you need anything just PM me . I do probably 25 long distance purchases a month from our store

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just build a car, Jesus Christ. People are so lazy these days.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I deal with this all the time . You just need to call the dealership , ask the questions you have , get tons of pictures and a inspection report emailed to you . The dealer will not charge you tax as it's unlikely they'd have a dealer agreement with a dealership 2k miles away so you'd pay taxes and reg once you take delivery . As to picking the car up once it's bought that's trickier. Transport would be crazy expensive for a 2000 mile trip so it'd be cheaper to fly out and drive back but that would take a ton of time . You'd be best served negotiating transport into the deal .

Hey @rmilia1
What if it's a person to person deal/no dealer involved.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey @rmilia1
What if it's a person to person deal/no dealer involved.
Same thing. Questions , pics. Obviously there wouldn't be an inspection report but you could see if they had service records . It's tougher person to person because then you absolutely have to provide your in transport and that's going to cost a few thousand.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somebody has to know the answer to this:

@ktg8trgrl
@Winged_Wheel88
@moxie
@bonham
@TemptressToo
@Shelby
@Rex Racer
@outofyourmind
@B_dub
@romeo212000
@tnapucco
@KansasSooner
@Jtrain80
@BoomerNTX
@Wishbone
@MarkOU
@sooner78wakeboard
@Scapegoat
@Proud_Okie
@Wheat
@Goldbug
@Pariah
@BusSport
@8085sooner
@Nosferatu
@thunderc
@Kevin12773
@Vitamike
@PhilSimms11
@GhostRiderRushville
@boltfan72
@SteelersPride
@packerzrule
@Used 2 B Hu
@Peter Gozintite
@TigerBait1971
@puckhead
@craigk217
@Inimical
@batchaps4me
@Manster7588
@Ewa PGH Fan
@pitman
@BoiseMike19
@BTHOtu
@BritishDolfan
@popeyecv64
@BigRedMoe
@gobigred
@gohusk
@Brasky
@huskers1217
@Tomhusker
@it'sHuskers4me
@HuskerOC
@Skerpokes
@Stinky56
@Carnzo
@KingKoolKat75
@58crash
@Eugene Baker III
@AlaskaGuy
@Guns N Guitars
@fordman84
@TheRangerDude
@beardown07
@omarsrevenge
@thedddd
@TheDayMan
@Olyduck
@lilchi721
@Used 2 B Hu
@USCDoom
@darken65
@mcnabb7542
@Debbie Does
@ill
@Wild Turkey
@7Samurai13
@RobToxin
@RobBase
@Inquisitor95
@Hook'Em0608
@TexasExes98
@Codaxx
@Texas Jefe
@TexasExes98
@ElTexan
@bamabear82
@Bamabino
@Bandwagonbo2
@theSabanator20
@GoldRusher
@There is A Moose at 3rd
@Cowboyinexile
@boomtown
@Wedgie
@potzer25
@Harry Seaword
@MISKO
@fordman84
@JuiceTheGator
@douggie
@FaCe-LeE-uS
@NEhomer
@obxyankeefan
@LambeauLegs
@handicappers
@Balljim55
@DetroitDevil
@Tin Man
@Nasty_Magician
@bocomo007
@Guy Incognito
@Think McFly Think
@Ritzarmy
@UK Cowboy
@wlk3
@MilkSpiller22
@Shanemansj13
@mr.hockey4242
@Mebert
@Godstree
@steveringo
@Wamu
@VFL1995
@trojanfan12
@socaljim242
@BigKen
@TheRobotDevil
@Clayton
@ATL96Steeler
@Tubbs1518
@IndyAndy
@The Crimson King
@gandydancer
@SJ76
@Wings
@wildturkey
@DrewScott
@TrustMeIamRight
@MAIZEandBLUE09
@Wingingit
@mall3013
@Airraidtech
@clemtheslowson
@Judge Fudge
@Macho Grande
@Dolgevillefootballfan
@seahawksfan234
@DutchBird
@PEOPLESCHICKEN
@megalodon30
@BigAppleBadger
@Bojack_Horseman
@Sharkonabicycle
@cwerph
@Deep Creek
@olympicoscar
@Vyle203
@ericd7633
@iowajerms
@rmilia1
@wingsauce7
@jwolt92
@nathans8823
@Fish
@Caneman
@Old Lion
@black francis
@blindbaby
@NCChiFan
@Duke of Douchington
@Full Potato
@Shower Fart
@Chris p Bacon
@God
@Midnightangel
@Used 2 B Hu
@Sexual Chocolate
@Used 2 B Hu
@Bayou Tiger

Fly there and drive it back. If you want to have it shipped it's really not that expensive. I haven't had one shipped but I did look into it when I was thinking about buying one on the east coast. It's under $1,000 and a lot less if you are ok with open transport.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didnt go 2000 miles away, but my last 2 cars i bought from Chicago, which is about 4 hours from me. Used cars are pretty much sold as is anyways. I called on a Wednesday and told them which car I wanted and we haggled a bit then agreed on a price. I said I couldn't get there until Saturday. The first time they were fine reserving the car for me, the second time they made me put a $500 deposit down as good faith. I agreed as long as it was fully refundable if I came test drove it and didn't like it. Both times I went down there on the last Saturday of the month, and both times when I got there I haggled again and "best and finaled" them $1000 less than we had agreed upon. They had already took it out of their online listing and everything so both times they agreed on the new price. The second time I got even more devious and was pretty sure they would agree with me, so that morning I went and got a certified check for $1000 less than the best and final price that I had just agreed to. I acted surprised that it was the wrong amount and then shrugged my shoulders and said it was all I had. They refused to accept that, but I told them over and over it wad literally all I had. Finally when ghey were honestly ready to kick me out the door I asked if there was a western union around, that maybe I could get my parents to chip in and wire me $500. They actually agreed to that, so I pulled the $2000 cash out of my pocket and smiled as I counted out 500 for them. The sales guy got pissed off and left the room, but the manager of the place said people try and rip him off every day, but mine was a first for him, so he bought us a pizza.

It actually was super easy to do, and I used the distance to help me negotiate. If the dealer would have been even a little smarter though he would have realized I wasn't going all the way diiwn there without enough money to actually buy a car.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You could probably find a high end dealer or very reputable classic/hot rod car shop that could do the inspection and recommend your negotiating points for you, but the fees for that and shipping combined with the fact that you are almost certain to not have any guarantees mean that you best option is to plan a road trip.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didnt go 2000 miles away, but my last 2 cars i bought from Chicago, which is about 4 hours from me. Used cars are pretty much sold as is anyways. I called on a Wednesday and told them which car I wanted and we haggled a bit then agreed on a price. I said I couldn't get there until Saturday. The first time they were fine reserving the car for me, the second time they made me put a $500 deposit down as good faith. I agreed as long as it was fully refundable if I came test drove it and didn't like it. Both times I went down there on the last Saturday of the month, and both times when I got there I haggled again and "best and finaled" them $1000 less than we had agreed upon. They had already took it out of their online listing and everything so both times they agreed on the new price. The second time I got even more devious and was pretty sure they would agree with me, so that morning I went and got a certified check for $1000 less than the best and final price that I had just agreed to. I acted surprised that it was the wrong amount and then shrugged my shoulders and said it was all I had. They refused to accept that, but I told them over and over it wad literally all I had. Finally when ghey were honestly ready to kick me out the door I asked if there was a western union around, that maybe I could get my parents to chip in and wire me $500. They actually agreed to that, so I pulled the $2000 cash out of my pocket and smiled as I counted out 500 for them. The sales guy got pissed off and left the room, but the manager of the place said people try and rip him off every day, but mine was a first for him, so he bought us a pizza.

It actually was super easy to do, and I used the distance to help me negotiate. If the dealer would have been even a little smarter though he would have realized I wasn't going all the way diiwn there without enough money to actually buy a car.
Lol that's pretty good. Happens all the time but creative on your end

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Naturally I am assuming that you are looking into (hypothetically) either a rare classic/antique car or a high end luxury/performance vehicle and not a Toyota Camry :thumb:

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure that I would buy a vehicle sight unseen.
Most places are pretty upfront but there's some shady fuckers too. I wouldn't buy one from a private seller like that but most dealers you'd be ok as long as they're a bigger dealership

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Naturally I am assuming that you are looking into (hypothetically) either a rare classic/antique car or a high end luxury/performance vehicle and not a Toyota Camry :thumb:
You'd be surprised man. We get calls from 1000 miles away on pretty much everything . Some people are so specific on what they want it really limits their search . We just delivered a Ford Edge to a guy from Georgia who bought ours because it had all the equipment he wanted , was orange ( gross ) and certified . Only one he found within 1000 miles

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't buy it. Its probably a flood damaged car.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You'd be surprised man. We get calls from 1000 miles away on pretty much everything . Some people are so specific on what they want it really limits their search . We just delivered a Ford Edge to a guy from Georgia who bought ours because it had all the equipment he wanted , was orange ( gross ) and certified . Only one he found within 1000 miles

So fussy it has to have all the options I want and be the right color. So not fussy he'll drive a Ford Edge :laugh3: