• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lol at UT and Mack Brown's Quarterback Recruiting

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First UT and Mack Brown missed on Robert Griffin III and Johnny Manziel out of their own state.

Now, looks like they missed on Jameis Winston as well (from VIDEO: Mack Brown talks recruiting Florida State QB Jameis Winston - CBSSports.com):

CBS Sports said:
Florida State redshirt freshman quarterback Jameis Winston quickly became a household name in college football with his near-perfect debut in the Seminoles 41-13 win at Pittsburgh on Monday night. Winston wowed fans with 25-for-27 passing and five total touchdowns, but it was a comment, via ESPN's Brett McMurphy, that dropped jaws.

According to McMurphy, the Seminoles quarterback "always wanted to go to Texas" while growing up in Hueytown, Ala., and said he would be playing for the Longhorns if Mack Brown had offered a scholarship.

Mack Brown was a guest on Rome Tuesday afternoon. When Jim Rome asked about Winston's recruitment, Brown explained why the Longhorns did not pursue the quarterback more aggressively.

Brown cited the transition between offensive coordinator Greg Davis and Bryan Harsin as one possible reason for the miscommunication, adding that the state of Alabama is not a primary recruiting ground for the Longhorns. Brown did confirm that Winston expressed interest in Texas, but at the time he was told that it was a "two horse race" between Florida State and Alabama for the dual-threat quarterback.

CBSSports.com's Bruce Feldman did some investigating, speaking with both a source at Texas and Winston's high school coach. Texas said the staff didn't believe Winston was "seriously interested" in the Longhorns. Winston's high school coach said otherwise.

"Bottom line, that [Texas] was the only school that he wanted to check out and they weren't interested in him," Matt Scott, Winston's high school coach, told Feldman.

I'm just glad UT got Garrett Gilbert and David Ash instead. Keep up that fine quarterback recruiting, Mack! :laugh3:

BenM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mack should have been sent packing years ago. UT deserves any bad football fortune that it may receive for allowing such an incompetent coach to hang on so long. I was hoping that maybe if NMS could have pulled out a W on them, it might wake UT's powers that be of Mack's total lack of ability to produce something with all the talent that he gets.

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just glad UT got Garrett Gilbert and David Ash instead. Keep up that fine quarterback recruiting, Mack!

now, now, don leave McCoy jr out of da pic. He's a keeper, LOL!~

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just glad UT got Garrett Gilbert and David Ash instead. Keep up that fine quarterback recruiting, Mack!

now, now, don leave McCoy jr out of da pic. He's a keeper, LOL!~

I forgot Andrew Luck in my OP, actually, too, another Texas QB the Longhorns missed out on.

soonerinark

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did get Vince Young and won a NC with him. Lately its like he is out recruiting UTEP for QB's.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3