• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

LIONS snag top RT in FA

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This guy is way better than Reiff.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pats do this type of deal all the time. Pay the dude when he is actually performing. Later in the contract if does not perform he can be cut with little to no cap hit. If he does still perform reasonable towards the end then he can be resigned/extended without effecting the cap much.

Basically you stay in a position where you are not paying guys who are no longer on your team.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pats do this type of deal all the time. Pay the dude when he is actually performing. Later in the contract if does not perform he can be cut with little to no cap hit. If he does still perform reasonable towards the end then he can be resigned/extended without effecting the cap much.

Basically you stay in a position where you are not paying guys who are no longer on your team.

What was it.... Like 10 million that Mini-Millen had to pay Suh the year after he left?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For what it is worth, from Walter:

Lions sign OT Ricky Wagner (5 years, $47.5 million): A- Grade
T.J. Lang just signed with the Lions, so while we wait for the financial details of that contract, let's grade the Ricky Wagner acquisition.

I find it so bizarre that Wagner is set to make less money than Riley Reiff. Whereas Reiff received $11.75 million per year from Minnesota, Wagner is getting $9.5 million per season. That's strange because Wagner is definitely the better player. Granted, Reiff is being asked to play left tackle, but he has failed there before. Wagner, meanwhile, will serve as an upgrade over Reiff, and based on what Reiff is receiving, this is for a very reasonable price.

I like this move a lot, and I'm giving the Lions an A- for it. Offensive line play is more important than ever now in the post-CBA NFL, and Detroit is looking like it'll have one of the best blocking units in the NFL, with Wagner and Lang joining Taylor Decker and Travis Swanson.

Vikings sign OT Riley Reiff (5 years, $58.75 million): C Grade
This contract seems outrageous, but it's the perfect storm of the Vikings being absolutely desperate for offensive line help, and the tackle crop in free agency and the draft being extremely underwhelming.

I can understand why the Vikings are overpaying Riley Reiff, as they can't possibly go through what they did last year again in 2017. That doesn't make it a good signing, however. Reiff is an underwhelming left tackle, yet he'll be asked to man the blind-side position for his new team. This probably won't work out very well, though if the Vikings eventually find an appropriate left tackle and move Reiff to the right side, their offensive line situation will be much better.

I'm not going to punish the Vikings too much because their options are so limited. A "C" seems right to me.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For what it is worth, from Walter:

Lions sign OT Ricky Wagner (5 years, $47.5 million): A- Grade
T.J. Lang just signed with the Lions, so while we wait for the financial details of that contract, let's grade the Ricky Wagner acquisition.

I find it so bizarre that Wagner is set to make less money than Riley Reiff. Whereas Reiff received $11.75 million per year from Minnesota, Wagner is getting $9.5 million per season. That's strange because Wagner is definitely the better player. Granted, Reiff is being asked to play left tackle, but he has failed there before. Wagner, meanwhile, will serve as an upgrade over Reiff, and based on what Reiff is receiving, this is for a very reasonable price.

I like this move a lot, and I'm giving the Lions an A- for it. Offensive line play is more important than ever now in the post-CBA NFL, and Detroit is looking like it'll have one of the best blocking units in the NFL, with Wagner and Lang joining Taylor Decker and Travis Swanson.

Vikings sign OT Riley Reiff (5 years, $58.75 million): C Grade
This contract seems outrageous, but it's the perfect storm of the Vikings being absolutely desperate for offensive line help, and the tackle crop in free agency and the draft being extremely underwhelming.

I can understand why the Vikings are overpaying Riley Reiff, as they can't possibly go through what they did last year again in 2017. That doesn't make it a good signing, however. Reiff is an underwhelming left tackle, yet he'll be asked to man the blind-side position for his new team. This probably won't work out very well, though if the Vikings eventually find an appropriate left tackle and move Reiff to the right side, their offensive line situation will be much better.

I'm not going to punish the Vikings too much because their options are so limited. A "C" seems right to me.

I think saying Reiff failed at Left Tackle is a little harsh. He was decent. Never a top 10, but never a bottom 10 LT either IMO

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think saying Reiff failed at Left Tackle is a little harsh. He was decent. Never a top 10, but never a bottom 10 LT either IMO

Guy played his whole career at LT while his coach and GMs tried to replace him. Then he lost his job. So I think its fair.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guy played his whole career at LT while his coach and GMs tried to replace him. Then he lost his job. So I think its fair.

Schwartz, Caldwell, and Mayhew not liking you is not a damning indictment at all. Quinn is not the first GM to want to replace the middle of the roster with his own guys.

If you don't base it on inept management and regime changes, and only look at production on the field, Reiff was a middle of the road LT.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schwartz, Caldwell, and Mayhew not liking you is not a damning indictment at all. Quinn is not the first GM to want to replace the middle of the roster with his own guys.

If you don't base it on inept management and regime changes, and only look at production on the field, Reiff was a middle of the road LT.

He was a Jeff Backus type. Not great but not exactly terrible.

The bigger problem with Reiff is he is not a clutch player. He might be good the whole game but then give up that crucial sack to end a game when we are on the final drive or second to last drive that would just crush the team's spirit.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The bigger problem with Reiff is he is not a clutch player. He might be good the whole game but then give up that crucial sack to end a game when we are on the final drive or second to last drive that would just crush the team's spirit.

I agree with this, Backus was also a middle of the pack LT. Either way Wagner is not a middle of the road RT and that makes me very happy.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I thought Jeff Sackus was hired as an intern O-line coach?

Reiff isn't the only number called to throw a game for a loss. There's a pattern for being a schedule filler team.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Jeff Sackus was hired as an intern O-line coach?

Really?
I wasn't aware of that.
Dude wasn't terrible. The frustrating fact about him is he wasn't really good but he wasn't really bad enough to HAVE to replace either.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really?
I wasn't aware of that.
Dude wasn't terrible. The frustrating fact about him is he wasn't really good but he wasn't really bad enough to HAVE to replace either.

Many of the best coaches in the league are not the HOF greats. Many are the guy who had everything but the athletic ability to succeed. No different than baseball coaches, completely understand the game. Just can't produce on the field.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really?
I wasn't aware of that.

He went to MI, so he is obviously brilliant. Plus it counters Ravioli roaming the sidelines.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Many of the best coaches in the league are not the HOF greats. Many are the guy who had everything but the athletic ability to succeed. No different than baseball coaches, completely understand the game. Just can't produce on the field.

Like the old saying goes.... Those who can't do, teach.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really?
I wasn't aware of that.
Backus became a part-time coaching intern with the Lions after his retirement. He's been working for Maven Development, LLC since 2015 as far as I know. He didn't earn the nickname of Suck-Us for nothing. He was WAY OVERPAID and had NO lateral quickness. There were A LOT of years during his career that he WAS the weakest link on the offensive line. It wasn't to long ago for ANY LT over 100 games, Sackus was the worst of all of them. His contracts and the need to fill other positions to me made him a product of the front office with no one to threaten or push him in his starting role.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reiff's making Quinn look foolish. So is Wagner, for that matter.

Last edited:

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably my fault for starting this thread.

My bad.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wagner hasn't been that bad tbh. Robinson is trash though. Glasgow had a terrible game against Carolina too.