• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions pick up Tyrunn Walker

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the primary factor comp picks- playing time.
"Compensatory draft pick determinations are based on the salary, playing time and postseason honors of the free agents each team lost during the previous offseason...Each team is allowed a maximum of four compensatory picks, and selections will only be awarded to organizations that signed fewer players than they lost to free agency...The exact formula for where each selection will take place may not be known, but the size of the contract each free agent signed has been a major determining factor in previous years."

I don't think that playing time is exactly the determining factor. It sounds like the size of the contract they sign seems to be the primary category in determining where the team receives their comp pick.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then its a great trade. If that loser somehow fetches a 3rd its the best thing he has ever done for us. But someone has to sign him first, and I'm not sure that's any guarantee to happen.

More than likely he will fetch a very late 4th rounder

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In your own words...Back to topic...

Can't speak for others, this not a kangaroo court. I care less to cipher through these arguments to find football talk.

So... I am thinking a fifth or sixth rd comp for Fairley as Reynolds has balanced out the Walker signing. Does not seem Mosley is coming back either. I would love Sims or Dom to take a vet min contract with another team, don't see it, but sure would be nice to all but guarantee a second pick for Fairley.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Compensatory draft pick determinations are based on the salary, playing time and postseason honors of the free agents each team lost during the previous offseason...Each team is allowed a maximum of four compensatory picks, and selections will only be awarded to organizations that signed fewer players than they lost to free agency...The exact formula for where each selection will take place may not be known, but the size of the contract each free agent signed has been a major determining factor in previous years."

I don't think that playing time is exactly the determining factor. It sounds like the size of the contract they sign seems to be the primary category in determining where the team receives their comp pick.

IMO the playing time is more a piece of the equation. As in a backup verse a starter along with amount of money.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I keep seeing the "postseason honors", what the fuck is that? Super Bowl MVP is the only postseason honor I'm aware of, and that guy generally isn't a free agent...

Someone must know what they mean, though?

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In your own words...Back to topic...

Can't speak for others, this not a kangaroo court. I care less to cipher through these arguments to find football talk.

So... I am thinking a fifth or sixth rd comp for Fairley as Reynolds has balanced out the Walker signing. Does not seem Mosley is coming back either. I would love Sims or Dom to take a vet min contract with another team, don't see it, but sure would be nice to all but guarantee a second pick for Fairley.
Walker doesn't factor against the comp. pick formula because the Saints did not tender him as a RFA...

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep seeing the "postseason honors", what the fuck is that? Super Bowl MVP is the only postseason honor I'm aware of, and that guy generally isn't a free agent...

Someone must know what they mean, though?
My guess is they mean "after the season is over" honors, like awards POST season. So awards for offensive and defensive MVP, all pro honors, pro bowl, etc. Again, I could be wrong, but that's how I take it.

And what I read about the comp picks is that the formula is "secret" but that it seems to be easy to figure out as the picks that have been awarded have been heavily factored by the contract the player signs.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is they mean "after the season is over" honors, like awards POST season. So awards for offensive and defensive MVP, all pro honors, pro bowl, etc. Again, I could be wrong, but that's how I take it.

And what I read about the comp picks is that the formula is "secret" but that it seems to be easy to figure out as the picks that have been awarded have been heavily factored by the contract the player signs.

Winner winner on post season.

There is a guy who projects them every year on OTC. He doesn't have the secret formula either, but I guess after studying past picks and why given and for who... he is usually pretty accurate each year also.

Last Call On The 2015 Compensatory Pick Projections - Over the Cap

Also click on the red "may view that post here" explains a little better.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

See, that makes more sense, and was what I was thinking, too... but I'd call all of those "regular season" honors, or simply "honors." I think that postseason moniker they stuck on there is misleading.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Walker doesn't factor against the comp. pick formula because the Saints did not tender him as a RFA...

I never read where that was needed. UFA or RFA I figured were the same...players lost vs. gained.
You got a link? Trying to read as much as I can to edgamacate myself here.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winner winner on post season.

There is a guy who projects them every year on OTC. He doesn't have the secret formula either, but I guess after studying past picks and why given and for who... he is usually pretty accurate each year also.

Last Call On The 2015 Compensatory Pick Projections - Over the Cap

Also click on the red "may view that post here" explains a little better.
I've heard of this guy also. He's supposed to be very accurate, so he must have the formula pretty well figured out...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never read where that was needed. UFA or RFA I figured were the same...players lost vs. gained.
You got a link? Trying to read as much as I can to edgamacate myself here.
Detroit Lions unlikely to see any compensatory draft picks in 2015 | MLive.com

Very last paragraph:

It's important to note, the Lions haven't signed any players this offseason who would negatively impact the formula which determines the picks. Defensive tackle Tyrunn Walker, formerly with the New Orleans Saints, does not count because he was not tendered as a restricted free agent.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something I hadn't really thought of until I came across it in an article recently is the concept of the legacy of a draft pick.

What they mean by that is how many years of contribution will you get from that pick. I had never really thought about that very much beyond simply how many years the guy you draft plays for you, but there's more to it. I'm paraphrasing from my memory of the story here, so the rounds may be off, but the nuts and bolts are solid- anywho, a great example of whathefuck I'm talking about:

The Ravens draft DT Dwan Edwards in the 2nd round in 2004. He plays seven seasons for them before signing a free agent deal with another team in 2011. Baltimore gets a 4th round comp pick. They draft Phernell McPhee (sp), who plays well for them for 4 years and signs a decent deal with the Bears. The Ravens will net another compensatory pick from losing him, so now, 11 years after making that initial 2nd round selection, the Ravens will be picking their 3rd player off that same draft pick.

I'd never really thought about it, but developing a deep legacy from single draft picks like that is a great way to keep the system stocked with extra mid-round draft picks...

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit Lions unlikely to see any compensatory draft picks in 2015 | MLive.com

Very last paragraph:

It's important to note, the Lions haven't signed any players this offseason who would negatively impact the formula which determines the picks. Defensive tackle Tyrunn Walker, formerly with the New Orleans Saints, does not count because he was not tendered as a restricted free agent.

Thanks I thought it was any FA. Whether tendered or not. Need to read more I guess.

Also that paragraph before stated "pro-bowl honors" for Fairley could bump him to a 4th... So that answers your question which Micro had already stated about honors.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something I hadn't really thought of until I came across it in an article recently is the concept of the legacy of a draft pick.

What they mean by that is how many years of contribution will you get from that pick. I had never really thought about that very much beyond simply how many years the guy you draft plays for you, but there's more to it. I'm paraphrasing from my memory of the story here, so the rounds may be off, but the nuts and bolts are solid- anywho, a great example of whathefuck I'm talking about:

The Ravens draft DT Dwan Edwards in the 2nd round in 2004. He plays seven seasons for them before signing a free agent deal with another team in 2011. Baltimore gets a 4th round comp pick. They draft Phernell McPhee (sp), who plays well for them for 4 years and signs a decent deal with the Bears. The Ravens will net another compensatory pick from losing him, so now, 11 years after making that initial 2nd round selection, the Ravens will be picking their 3rd player off that same draft pick.

I'd never really thought about it, but developing a deep legacy from single draft picks like that is a great way to keep the system stocked with extra mid-round draft picks...

Remember you thinking Mayhew was starting to go that route with comp picks. This would mean at times guys like Slay and Levy and Ansah have to walk. So IMO there is a fine line of making that legacy work. Ravens And Ozzie get it.

Another question for you. How will YOU ever be able to let a Lion walk away?

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember you thinking Mayhew was starting to go that route with comp picks. This would mean at times guys like Slay and Levy and Ansah have to walk. So IMO there is a fine line of making that legacy work. Ravens And Ozzie get it.

Another question for you. How will YOU ever be able to let a Lion walk away?
Just the opposite- not over-spending on back-up guys or aged veterans lets you sign your young talent, then re-sign your super-star types like Rey Lewis and Ed Reed to large deals. It does mean sometimes letting go of a guy like Reed before the player is necessarily ready, though. The Pats are also known for cutting ties with big-name vets who are past their prime if they deem them to be over-priced, so I think the proof is on the pudding on that theory- it works out best for the team more often than not.

If we ever get to that point I'm a happy camper, because that's a good problem to have.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And again, no reason for you to have been such a pole smoker towards me there.

Sims started damn-near every game for 5 straight years for us. That's the primary factor comp picks- playing time. Now I was wrong, and admitted as much (completely foreign concept to you, I know), about him needing to sign with another team, so there's that. However your reasoning of "he sucks" isn't a valid factor in the NFL's formula. This will be hard for you to accept, because as your screen name implies you think you're always right on absolutely anything, but the NFL doesn't factor in what jaded know-it-all fans think about a player. They look purely at the numbers.

Yes- I was wrong on them needing to sign with another club and that also playing a large role in the equation, but my part in the discussion was actually based on how the comp. pick formula works. Yours was based on ignorance, as evidenced by all of your dismissive statements about him not being good, and me being an idiot. You clearly didn't know much of anything about the topic, so you resorted to one of your typical juvenile attacks. It would be one thing if you were this much of a dick all the time and at least knew what you were talking about (like Dr. Eviler, for instance) but you're a bonafide jack-ass/dumb-ass hybrid... you're always talking out of your ass, and you're full of shit...

And Yes -- you are wrong YET again and talking out of your ass. There is no "primary factor" for comp picks. As a matter of fact -- NFL teams don't even know the exact formula used, so I find it interesting how you do.

This is why I continue to laugh at you telling ANYONE they don't know anything about this topic, because you continue to post and continue to look like an idiot. The reason I said he sucks and there is no chance we'd get a 3rd round pick -- he is going to be 32 years old coming off his worst season (as I already stated, but you need everything spelled out to you). How many teams are going to be beating down the door to sign that to a big contract? How many teams has Sims visited with since FA opened? Garrett frickin' Reynolds has already been signed by the Rams, but Sims is just waiting it out to get that big FA deal.

Do you need me to spell it out for you even more? Or is that specific enough?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See- I said it, right there. And you could not answer what was so obvious, because you were talking out of your ass, so you panicked, as usual, and immediately switched to a different argument.

That's the beauty of all of this being written down- there's no "he said, she said" lies to be had, just you looking foolish when your shit-talking out-paces your ability to back it up. And everyone can see the (literal) writing on the wall...

You are right -- that is the beauty of it being written down -- here are your quotes:

So when they're cutting first and second round picks before their contracts are even up, or when high picks get benched in favor of UDFAs and journeyman veterans, those are good drafts to you simply because the team won a lot of games?

The fact is the Pats had a string of horrible drafts where they blew most of their high picks. Yet, since they win and we don't, you're trying to tell us they draft better than us

Here was my response -- feel free at any point to show me the 1st round picks they cut before their contract is up. Also feel free to point out all the UDFA's and journeyman who took over starting roles for these high picks.

When you make the statement how the Pats had a "string of horrible drafts where they blew most of their high picks" -- it is obvious, you have no idea what you are even talking about and didn't take two seconds to look it up.

Here are New England's 1st round picks since Mayhew took over the Lions:
Devin McCourty 2010
Chandler Jones 2011
Dont'a Hightower 2011
Nate Solder 2012
Dominque Easley 2014

They didn't have a 1st round pick in 2009 and 2013.

Where is the string of drafts they blew their picks?

Was it 2009 when they drafted Patrick Chung, Sebastian Vollmer and Julian Edelman
Was it 2010 when they drafted Devin McCourty, Rob Gronkowski, Brandon Spikes, Aaron Hernandez (pre murder charges LOL)
Was it 2011 when they drafted Nate Solder, Shane Vereen, Stevan Ridley
Was it 2012 when they drafted Chandler Jones and Dont'a Hightower

Maybe it was 2013 when their 2nd round pick already has a season with 116 tackles, 4 forced fumbles, 4 sacks and 3 interceptions in Jamie Collins.

You see -- just like with the comp pick conversation -- you talk out of your ass without having a clue what you are talking about, then try to convince yourself you do.

You wanted obvious -- here you go. The same way it SHOULD be obvious that Rob Sims will never warrant a 3rd round comp pick, unless the NFL changes to the TP comp pick calculations.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I guess I should have read the rest of the thread before responding to TP. Micro has already pointed out to TP he has no idea what he talking about. :)

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm lost on all this Patriots thingy... not sure if tpaulus said since '09 or if TrustMeIamRight is assuming '09. At any rate on a side note the Packers only have their 2nd rounder (Randall Cobb) left from 2011.