• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lindros calls for a ban to body contact to reduce concussions in hockey

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fighting is way down in hockey (at least in the NHL) over the last several seasons and I think it won't be long before it's eliminated from the game. Not sure about eliminating all body contact though, using a good check to separate a player from the puck is pretty fundamental to the game of hockey. How about stiffer penalties for guys that hit with the intent to injure? If you nail a guy in the head and it costs you half a season, I have a feeling you'll be hesitant to do it again.

Eric Lindros suggests drastic rule change to save future NHLers from concussions: Ban body contact

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard about this. Completely understand Lindros' POV given his history but I doubt you see a ban on body contact in hockey.

Markwassillylaugher

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lindros was always ray overrated as a player. I still can see him being crushed like a tin can when Darius Kasperatis
body checked him! Down goes Frazier!

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lindros was always ray overrated as a player. I still can see him being crushed like a tin can when Darius Kasperatis

Yeah I bet he's still wincing from that

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
overrated? dude was a fucking beast until his head turned to mush.

here is the list of players that got to 500 points faster
Gretzky, Lemieux, Stastny, Bossy. that's it.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about stiffer penalties for guys that hit with the intent to injure? If you nail a guy in the head and it costs you half a season, I have a feeling you'll be hesitant to do it again.

Winnah.

Unless, of course it's the playoffs. Then anything goes
/s

Another idea is full cages on helmets. I'd be willing to bet there would be significant reductions there as well. Removing contact completely is impossible just by the nature of the game. But the equipment can get better.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck Eric Lindros right in his pussy :L

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point the game is so watered down from what it was 20 years ago that I don't think I would even really notice if they got rid of hitting.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fighting is way down in hockey (at least in the NHL) over the last several seasons and I think it won't be long before it's eliminated from the game. Not sure about eliminating all body contact though, using a good check to separate a player from the puck is pretty fundamental to the game of hockey. How about stiffer penalties for guys that hit with the intent to injure? If you nail a guy in the head and it costs you half a season, I have a feeling you'll be hesitant to do it again.

Eric Lindros suggests drastic rule change to save future NHLers from concussions: Ban body contact

we didn't call him weenie in his playing days for nothin

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another idea is full cages on helmets. I'd be willing to bet there would be significant reductions there as well. Removing contact completely is impossible just by the nature of the game. But the equipment can get better.

Too simple and effective a solution. Would never happen. ;)

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keith Tkachuk could've played for another 15 years then!

Obligatory...

tkachuk_b.jpg

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keith looks like he needs to get to the Juicing Room.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1

don't know about your beer-league experience, (oh that's right, you're a goaler. you guys don't get into the fray. :heh:. well, Mattola does, but he's a little loopy :crazy: )
back on tangent, the guys who wear full cages are invariably the ones that skate around with their sticks at head level. i find that fear breeds respect.

btw, Lindros has stepped back from those comments.
says hitting belongs in upper and pro levels.

problem is limiting hitting to upper levels, is that you need to learn how to hit and take a hit before those hits can do much damage. at age 13-14, kids can be too big to be just learning proper technique

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don't know about your beer-league experience, (oh that's right, you're a goaler. you guys don't get into the fray. :heh:. well, Mattola does, but he's a little loopy :crazy: )
back on tangent, the guys who wear full cages are invariably the ones that skate around with their sticks at head level. i find that fear breeds respect.

btw, Lindros has stepped back from those comments.
says hitting belongs in upper and pro levels.

problem is limiting hitting to upper levels, is that you need to learn how to hit and take a hit before those hits can do much damage. at age 13-14, kids can be too big to be just learning proper technique
Totally agree. or we get the same issue we have in the NFL today.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may be missing something here, but how are you supposed to get your stick up in opponent's mouth if he's wearing a full cage?

/basically I'm saying that if your opponent doesn't respect your two hander to the back of the knee then you might have to escalate things and that may involve some dental procedures.

//or to avoid the on ice violence all together, you can always tuned up at the bar afterwards and have a fight in the parking lot

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, basically every game will be played like the All Star game?