• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lexi Thompson Got the Shaft

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at the video, it was well more than 1/8th of an inch. That's what's so baffling to me. It was a friggin' 10 inch tap-in. You might wish to place it an inch to the side if there was a spike mark to avoid or something but what possessed her to do that escapes me.

Cheating's illegal at Bushwood!

Caddyshack-Quotes-Were-Waiting-300x300.jpg
Baffles me as well. A lot of players claim it's to "regroup" themselves mentally after a missed put. To me it looks like a bad habit that golfers pickup and can't seem to quit.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe she's just a recovering compulsive cheater and couldn't control herself.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see your point. Tell ya what though: if I'm her, every little thing I do on the course for at least the rest of this year I confirm its OK with an LPGA official. I wouldn't take any chances. And I'd probably do it with some attitude as well.

They'd just get on her for slow play and put her on the clock. Golfs governing bodies are a complete joke.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe she's just a recovering compulsive cheater and couldn't control herself.

So you're saying that she's related to Tom Brady.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're saying that she's related to Tom Brady.

Now, now. Brady is the Gary Player flavor of cheater with his fairway wood in the rough! Great, but still a CHEATER!!!!

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've always billed themselves as a gentleman's game. There is some arrogance involved, but overall, they think they are above other sports.
Actually they are.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most amateurs and even many professionals don't understand all the rules in golf.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys, I've been playing for years and pretty much know all the applicable rules that govern play BUT :eek:

I tried a number of these rules quizzes from the USGA.

Rules Quizzes | United States Golf Association

Try it, it loads real quick and it's interesting. I just did the lowest level 10 questions at the basic level and after 4 or 5 attempts, 8 correct was the best I did.

The rules of golf predicated upon the definitions of golf have a LOT of ground to cover.

Reactions: GNG

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a special place in hell for someone who'd call something like that in. It's hard to understand how she could have moved it that much, though. She barely lifted it off the ground. Just careless I guess. But it was enough to make me wonder at first if she was trying to avoid a spike mark. But it was only a foot and there was nothing between her ball and the cup.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...and not the kind you were wanting to watch

TV viewer penalty call costs Thompson ANA title

Rules are rules... but c'mon man... What irks me the most is that it only happened because some lifeless schmuck called it in after seeing it on the TV.

I'd like to shaft that athletic bod!

There is too much gray area involved with TV viewers reporting infractions, but it's been part of tour golf basically since it was televised I guess, but after the round is over? That's a joke.

What if the call came in after 72 were played? The tour needs to stop that madness...if they can't figure it out but for a player completes 18...that round should be in the books.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys, I've been playing for years and pretty much know all the applicable rules that govern play BUT :eek:

I tried a number of these rules quizzes from the USGA.

Rules Quizzes | United States Golf Association

Try it, it loads real quick and it's interesting. I just did the lowest level 10 questions at the basic level and after 4 or 5 attempts, 8 correct was the best I did.

The rules of golf predicated upon the definitions of golf have a LOT of ground to cover.

I tried it only once on basic level...6 of 10...not great.

I thought for sure honor was established by gross score in match and stroke play...and it is. I did know in team match play you can let your partner play 1st even if you have the honor...kind of a trick question.

The other 3 I just blew it.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get what you're saying, but would it be similar to overturning a play the following inning, period or quarter? Seems foolish.

Yes...after the round was complete...it was foolish. I understand the tourney was not complete, but that days play was.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to shaft that athletic bod!

There is too much gray area involved with TV viewers reporting infractions, but it's been part of tour golf basically since it was televised I guess, but after the round is over? That's a joke.

What if the call came in after 72 were played? The tour needs to stop that madness...if they can't figure it out but for a player completes 18...that round should be in the books.
Who wouldn't?

Model Swing: The Best Photos of Lexi Thompson

I agree. The announcer kept saying that "because she hadn't completed the 72 that this is a big issue" and I kept shaking my head. That should have been more on the tour officials for missing it in the first place. If its something so serious as to incur a 4-stroke penalty then the officials need to be keeping a closer eye on it. It's BS that a viewer had to play tour official from their couch in order for them to investigate it. Give me a break!

Her initial response was perfect... "Is this a joke?"

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who wouldn't?

Model Swing: The Best Photos of Lexi Thompson

I agree. The announcer kept saying that "because she hadn't completed the 72 that this is a big issue" and I kept shaking my head. That should have been more on the tour officials for missing it in the first place. If its something so serious as to incur a 4-stroke penalty then the officials need to be keeping a closer eye on it. It's BS that a viewer had to play tour official from their couch in order for them to investigate it. Give me a break!

Her initial response was perfect... "Is this a joke?"

The event wasn't over and everyone understands that...but that round was over. A blatant missed infraction in game 5 of 7 in the NBA finals is just that...a blatant missed call in game 5 of 7...they don't go back and correct it.

Hell, you and I can DVR round 2 of any golf tourney and see something that was missed in live play and report it in a round 3 and potentially cause a player to miss the cut...right?

As much as I thought the USGA butchered the call with DJ, they at least made it know during the round that an infraction was caught on TV....not from some Joe Smoe sitting at home sucking down cold ones.

We can say golf is different. It's about the integrity and getting it right...what if Lexi was not in the final group and not on TV and this same thing happen and she finished 10th. Most likely she would've finished 10th and collected the 10th place check.

Why she was marking the ball that far away from where it actually came to rest is a bit weird for a tour player, but it should not have caused her 4 strokes. It was a joke.

I don't have any empathy for the player, she still cashed a nice check and will move on, but the tours make themselves look stupid by trying to get it right.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll just have to disagree with you folks. The tourny's not over and I don't believe it's accurate to state that you could DVR any round and catch players breaking rules. It's actually quite rare.

Calm

What say there fuzzy britches, feel like talkin'?
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the biggest issue I have is they are basically penalizing her twice with the whole "incorrect scorecard" bullshit. It was correct as far as everyone is concerned at the time that she signed it. And you can't just not sign the card until you've completed the tournament.

So your screwed twice should something come up later.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll just have to disagree with you folks. The tourny's not over and I don't believe it's accurate to state that you could DVR any round and catch players breaking rules. It's actually quite rare.

We all understand the tourney was not over, but that round was in the books. In no other pro sport with multiple games in a series can this happen.

I think you misunderstood my point on the DVR...I didn't say we would catch players breaking rules. The point is it's possible to effect a tourney in that manner...imo we as viewers should have no bearing on the tourney.