• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lexi Thompson Got the Shaft

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...and not the kind you were wanting to watch

TV viewer penalty call costs Thompson ANA title

Rules are rules... but c'mon man... What irks me the most is that it only happened because some lifeless schmuck called it in after seeing it on the TV.

DUB

Once A Champ, Always A Champ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sshhhhhh we have reason to believe the person who caught this was @NEhomer

-DUB-

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol!

Not sure what she was doing. It was just a tap-in too.

A coupla years ago she would have been DQed.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish you could do the same thing for the NBA. It would be like hundreds of emails a game with 'James Walked', 'James lowered his shoulder into the guy', ...

Zooky

I make chunk plays.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is outrageous.

"The fateful email arrived during Sunday's final round, alerting officials to the violation committed Saturday. Thompson marked a 1-foot putt with a coin on the 17th green during her third round, but she replaced the ball perhaps 1 inch out of position.

After an extensive video review, Thompson was penalized 2 strokes for an incorrect ball placement and 2 strokes for an incorrect scorecard. Witters regretfully explained the penalty to Thompson."

Cjw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is nothing new. It happened to Craig Stadler some years ago. If the PGA (or LPGA) wanted to change this, it would have been done already.

Jimmy G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not withstanding WHAT happened, but my question is WHY would anyone mark their ball 18 inches from the hole to begin with?

I get marking you ball on the green to let another person putt, but she just put the ball back down and knocked it in. Leave the damn ball alone!

game

Hoopla Cash
$ 9.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is nothing new. It happened to Craig Stadler some years ago. If the PGA (or LPGA) wanted to change this, it would have been done already.

Happened to Tiger too.

It's bullshit. If the officials miss it, that's on them.

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Total bs. Didn't like it one bit and I'm not sure why. Maybe because other sports would never overturn/penalize that late after the fact even if it was a blatant miscall?

Jimmy G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This may be a minor detail, but why do they have professional golfers keep their own score? In 2017, the golf scorecard on the professional level should be obsolete.

Cjw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This may be a minor detail, but why do they have professional golfers keep their own score? In 2017, the golf scorecard on the professional level should be obsolete.
They've always billed themselves as a gentleman's game. There is some arrogance involved, but overall, they think they are above other sports.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then there's this one:

And there was another where the guy addressed the ball in the rough, it moved less than you could notice with the eye (guy was watching it on hd noticed it with the dimple moving just a hair, no way the golfer did) and he was hit with a 1 stroke penalty. Yeah, you need to be careful in the rough but come on. Absolutely no affect on the shot.

If they're going to do this sort of thing then they need to evaluate whether or not it was intentional and whether or not he gained some type of advantage by breaking the rule (if either are true then yeah, golfer should face the consequences). But let's face it, before there was this type of coverage I'm sure that there were quite a few golfers ignoring their own infractions because they figured nobody noticed.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not withstanding WHAT happened, but my question is WHY would anyone mark their ball 18 inches from the hole to begin with?

I get marking you ball on the green to let another person putt, but she just put the ball back down and knocked it in. Leave the damn ball alone!

She was turning it so her preference for the markings would be consistent. I place mine with no markings showing at all. It was short enough not to but it was likely just a force of habit.

Happened to Tiger too.

It's bullshit. If the officials miss it, that's on them.

It did not happen to Tiger too. Tiger dropped along the incorrect line. It was a mistake a handicap golfer shouldn't make. They invoked the new rule to not DQ him when the intent of that rule is to prevent a player from being DQed over something they were not or could not have been aware of when they signed their card. Tiger should have been DQed. If anything goes when the ref and camera isn't looking, golf will be dealt a serious blow.

The first I remember of this sort of thing was Azninger kicking some stones out from under his foot while playing from a hazard. He built a stance and someone called in.

Total bs. Didn't like it one bit and I'm not sure why. Maybe because other sports would never overturn/penalize that late after the fact even if it was a blatant miscall?

Keep in mind that even though it was the next day, the event was not completed as it would be the next day with other sports.

Can't agree here. It must be the responsibility of the player. In all other sports where officiating is responsible for the rules, we see the impetus for getting away with things to fool the refs. Golf is a game of honor and all infractions are to be reported be they filmed or not.

My heart breaks for Lexi except that I don't believe I've ever replaced my ball so far from it's original position. I don't know what she was doing but she should have been more careful.

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sshhhhhh we have reason to believe the person who caught this was @NEhomer

-DUB-

Oh, yeah. He definitely squealed based on his latest response.

:heh:

Reactions: DUB

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep in mind that even though it was the next day, the event was not completed as it would be the next day with other sports.
I get what you're saying, but would it be similar to overturning a play the following inning, period or quarter? Seems foolish.

Jimmy G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 22 year old plays four rounds of golf and earns a quarter of a million dollars. Heartbreak? Um, no.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 22 year old plays four rounds of golf and earns a quarter of a million dollars. Heartbreak? Um, no.

Wouldn't it be heartbreaking for you if you were about to win one of the majors and the moving of the ball say 1/8th of an inch the wrong way cost you the tournament? It isn't just about the money but just all the work that a person puts in to get to that point only to have something so stupid take it away. I understand she didn't put it exactly back at the perfect spot. This just seems excessive.

To me at most they should have given her a 2-stroke penalty for marking it wrong. I don't think the scorecard being the wrong score should be an issue. She signed it to her best ability and it wasn't until the next day where the rules officials made the decision the score was wrong because she should have a penalty. 4 strokes for something like that is beyond crazy.

Jimmy G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see your point. Tell ya what though: if I'm her, every little thing I do on the course for at least the rest of this year I confirm its OK with an LPGA official. I wouldn't take any chances. And I'd probably do it with some attitude as well.

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see your point. Tell ya what though: if I'm her, every little thing I do on the course for at least the rest of this year I confirm its OK with an LPGA official. I wouldn't take any chances. And I'd probably do it with some attitude as well.

Yup! I'd be like, "Hey fat ass sitting at home, is this spot OKAY WITH YOU?!!" :heh:

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at the video, it was well more than 1/8th of an inch. That's what's so baffling to me. It was a friggin' 10 inch tap-in. You might wish to place it an inch to the side if there was a spike mark to avoid or something but what possessed her to do that escapes me.

Cheating's illegal at Bushwood!

Caddyshack-Quotes-Were-Waiting-300x300.jpg