• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Le'Veon Bell

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad news for this season imo to tag Bell.

Bad because a $14+ mil cap hit will make it hard to sign a FA LB or S.

We shall see....maybe they get the long term deal worked out.

I would really like to know why it is taking so long. I feel like what Bell is asking for has already been helped out with the restructuring of various contracts, thus freeing up more than enough cap space.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would really like to know why it is taking so long. I feel like what Bell is asking for has already been helped out with the restructuring of various contracts, thus freeing up more than enough cap space.

We have what another 10 days or so to know the true impact of DeCastro's and Tuitt's restructures? they have work to do yet clearing space...right now, according to Overthecap...they have enough on the books to sign the draft class and a few pennies left over.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ew... Tagging Bell would destroy the Steelers' FA plans.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Judging by how all the talks have come to a screeching halt I'm thinking we should prepare ourselves to be disappointed.

Today & tomorrow... 2 very big days to figure out how this is going to unfold.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Le'Veon Bell: I won't 'settle' for less than my worth

We are shooting our offense in the heart by tagging Bell again. He's already said he's not playing if he gets tagged. Also, you're willing to spend $14.5 for one but not willing to lock down the 2nd biggest piece to your offense? Big fuck up by the FO here. Especially now that the cap got increased by $10 mill.

NFL salary cap for 2018 season set at $177.2 million
The cap bump certainly helps... But according to OTC they are roughly $5mil in surplus right now including that bump, and taking into account rookie contracts. They still need to free up an additional $10mil for that tag to even be possible. Solution: Cut Mitchell & Wilcox. Or if they want ot keep Wilcox, then cut Mitchell, DHB & Sensabaugh. Either would get them the $10mil they need. My question is, what happens to that cap space if Bell sits out the season and/or retires? Is it tied up? Or does it free up once he's declared DNR (did not report) and gets suspended?

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ew... Tagging Bell would destroy the Steelers' FA plans.

image.php

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes sir! Damn me for tryin to be an optimist! Shoulda known better.

Nothing wrong with being optimistic, but we've seen first hand how Bell works.....it's Bell first.

See now your let down, as me I'm looking past him. And like I said, if he decides not to be a dick and plays.....

I'll be tickled shitless. :lol:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Le'Veon Bell: I won't 'settle' for less than my worth

We are shooting our offense in the heart by tagging Bell again. He's already said he's not playing if he gets tagged. Also, you're willing to spend $14.5 for one but not willing to lock down the 2nd biggest piece to your offense? Big fuck up by the FO here. Especially now that the cap got increased by $10 mill.

NFL salary cap for 2018 season set at $177.2 million

I still think the problem rests with Bell, not the FO...if the reports I heard are true...the offer number was up slightly per yr from LY which probably means north of $12 mil per and I doubt they would change much on the guarantee which was reportedly $30 mil. But I assume a small bump there as well.

I don't like the tag cap hit either, but as a tactical move it makes 100% sense...if nothing else, it buys more time to work out a long term deal, they can rescind it if they want to. As a positive gesture to Ben, I think they would bite the bullet and pay him one more time on the tag.

The reason I say it rests on Bell and his camp...the Steelers are paying him the max contract for the position. Many RBs before him were great dual threat players...they all got paid like RBs. In terms of him sitting out or retiring...he'd be foolish to do that...never going to get that $14 mil back and he'd be facing the same condition if he tried to comeback in '19....it's on him to decide if the long term deal is worth it or not, but you always take that tag money.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think the problem rests with Bell, not the FO...if the reports I heard are true...the offer number was up slightly per yr from LY which probably means north of $12 mil per and I doubt they would change much on the guarantee which was reportedly $30 mil. But I assume a small bump there as well.

I don't like the tag cap hit either, but as a tactical move it makes 100% sense...if nothing else, it buys more time to work out a long term deal, they can rescind it if they want to. As a positive gesture to Ben, I think they would bite the bullet and pay him one more time on the tag.

The reason I say it rests on Bell and his camp...the Steelers are paying him the max contract for the position. Many RBs before him were great dual threat players...they all got paid like RBs. In terms of him sitting out or retiring...he'd be foolish to do that...never going to get that $14 mil back and he'd be facing the same condition if he tried to comeback in '19....it's on him to decide if the long term deal is worth it or not, but you always take that tag money.

Max contract for the position, yet he isn't just a RB. He's the #1 RB and #2 WR on the team. He should be paid as such. This whole situation falls on the FO not giving him what he's worth, which is more than what a #1 RB is being paid. Tagging him after he's stated is isn't playing under the tag again is a sign of disrespect to Bell. Bell wants to stay, but it doesn't seem like Pittsburgh wants him that bad, I guess. Actions speak louder than words and the Steelers' FO is speaking volumes right now.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bell...at this point...I'm ready to move forward...I'd let Bell walk and take the comp pick next yr.

I would use the money this way.

FA...LB Anthony Hitchens, DAL
FA...FS Trey Boston, SD
FA...RB Frank Gore, IND

28...I think now I can be open to edge, TE, LB, FS, CB, RB

Work off the 1st round pick the rest of the way.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Max contract for the position, yet he isn't just a RB. He's the #1 RB and #2 WR on the team. He should be paid as such. This whole situation falls on the FO not giving him what he's worth, which is more than what a #1 RB is being paid. Tagging him after he's stated is isn't playing under the tag again is a sign of disrespect to Bell. Bell wants to stay, but it doesn't seem like Pittsburgh wants him that bad, I guess. Actions speak louder than words and the Steelers' FO is speaking volumes right now.

This ain't nothing new...Go and look at Marshall Faulk...'98 to '01. What's different.

At one point Faulk was the highest paid RB in the league...he deserved it...Bell deserves it...it's beyond unreasonable to pay him considerably more than the top RB in the game...if not setting precedent is a sign of disrespect...okay, I agree with you, but in terms of prudent business, the Steelers have done imo more than enough making him the top paid RB in the league.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This ain't nothing new...Go and look at Marshall Faulk...'98 to '01. What's different.

At one point Faulk was the highest paid RB in the league...he deserved it...Bell deserves it...it's beyond unreasonable to pay him considerably more than the top RB in the game...if not setting precedent is a sign of disrespect...okay, I agree with you, but in terms of prudent business, the Steelers have done imo more than enough making him the top paid RB in the league.

FWIW... I see the arguments for both sides. In the end I hope Bell remains a Steeler, and I hope both sides remain logical and forthright in their negotiations... That's all anyone can ask regardless of the outcome.

That said... I have to admit I'm growing tired of Bell's stance. In my personal experience with business negotiations it is best to negotiate on good faith. Productive negotiations should be all about compromise. In the end, neither side gets 100% of what they want.
Bell wanted to be the highest paid RB and reset the market at his position. The team offered a deal that would have done that. Now Bell is saying that the team has upped their offer from last year, but it’s not good enough because he feels he’s worth more than last year. He says he wants to finish his career in Pittsburgh, yet he turns down deals that meet most of his demands and would allow him to stay? Unreasonable demands that keep changing are indications of bad faith negotiating.

The WR2 argument is lacking. Sure he had the 2nd highest receptions on the team, but at 6.7 ypc with LBs in coverage is hardly a unique phenomenon. If he had been lining up out wide for 20+ snaps per game (which he has not, only averaged just over 1 per game) then the argument would have more merit. He lined up at WR (slot & wide) a total of 20 times the entire year. Doesn't appear to be a WR2 in my book. That's like calling Martavis Bryant our RB2 since he ran reverses. Bell is a heavily used outlet valve, not a WR2.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW... I see the arguments for both sides. In the end I hope Bell remains a Steeler, and I hope both sides remain logical and forthright in their negotiations... That's all anyone can ask regardless of the outcome.

That said... I have to admit I'm growing tired of Bell's stance. In my personal experience with business negotiations it is best to negotiate on good faith. Productive negotiations should be all about compromise. In the end, neither side gets 100% of what they want.
Bell wanted to be the highest paid RB and reset the market at his position. The team offered a deal that would have done that. Now Bell is saying that the team has upped their offer from last year, but it’s not good enough because he feels he’s worth more than last year. He says he wants to finish his career in Pittsburgh, yet he turns down deals that meet most of his demands and would allow him to stay? Unreasonable demands that keep changing are indications of bad faith negotiating.

The WR2 argument is lacking. Sure he had the 2nd highest receptions on the team, but at 6.7 ypc with LBs in coverage is hardly a unique phenomenon. If he had been lining up out wide for 20+ snaps per game (which he has not, only averaged just over 1 per game) then the argument would have more merit. He lined up at WR (slot & wide) a total of 20 times the entire year. Doesn't appear to be a WR2 in my book. That's like calling Martavis Bryant our RB2 since he ran reverses. Bell is a heavily used outlet valve, not a WR2.

Le'Veon Bell is are 2nd best weapon/threat on offense. We don't have him, we have no running game. It's that simple. No Bell, to running game. We are left with a 2nd year player who's had 2 surgeries on the same knee and we are gonna just switch up the way we have our running game why, because we won't spend an extra $2.5 mill a year on the BEST RB possibly in the league?

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Le'Veon Bell is are 2nd best weapon/threat on offense. We don't have him, we have no running game. It's that simple. No Bell, to running game. We are left with a 2nd year player who's had 2 surgeries on the same knee and we are gonna just switch up the way we have our running game why, because we won't spend an extra $2.5 mill a year on the BEST RB possibly in the league?
So, it's all Bell and the OL doesn't matter???

Ben is coming back because the OL is coming back. We have one of the best OLs in the league. Because of the OL we'll have a good running game no matter what. Yeah, it's better with Bell but the running success isn't all on him. Because of Ben and the WRs, teams can't crowd the box to stop Bell. I'd like to have Bell back but if he's making unrealistic demands again, F him. Tag him and force his hand. To not tag him would be a colossal mistake IMO. A good FO doesn't let great players just walk free and clear.