• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

lets have some legit plans to replace KC

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keenum has two number one receiver’s, a run game and a great defense. Colt wouldn’t be so lucky

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dad and shark are 100% right. They could have signed Cousin's for a lot less money during that 2015 season. Lets be clear here that SM was leading the pack back then to not pay Cousin's too much money. They (the Redsking FO) and many like you were of the mind that he hasn't proven anything. Now million of dollars later he has and look at the mess this turned out to be.

I assume you are talking after the ‘15 season?? Early 2016?? After KC had his first really nice year?? If so, then sure, the FO made a mistake then in not signing him at a reduced rate instead of tagging him. It’s easy to say that now looking back. We extended a not so great deal and he opted for the tag. We’ve all discussed that ad nauseum.

Now prior to the ‘15 season?? And that is what I thought everyone was up in arms about (maybe I have my dates wrong), no, he didn’t prove a damn thing during the ‘14 season.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I assume you are talking after the ‘15 season?? Early 2016?? After KC had his first really nice year?? If so, then sure, the FO made a mistake then in not signing him at a reduced rate instead of tagging him. It’s easy to say that now looking back. We extended a not so great deal and he opted for the tag. We’ve all discussed that ad nauseum.

Now prior to the ‘15 season?? And that is what I thought everyone was up in arms about (maybe I have my dates wrong), no, he didn’t prove a damn thing during the ‘14 season.

I think what most people see if they are being reasonable s this.

In 2015 they said we are not ready to commit. OK fine.

In 2016 they came out and said, we will give you a lowball offer, but you need to prove 2015 wasn't a fluke if you want a real money contract. To which Kirk went out and proved it wasn't a fluke.

In 2017, they still came out and said... well here is a lower than market offer.. or you can prove it again. And just to be sure we are going to give you two project WRs and still saddle you with a questionable running game. But have at it and prove you are worth the contract.

Here we are in 2018 and the question still remains, will Kirk take a less than market deal because he wasn't able to single handedly will the team into the playoffs. thus proving he is not elite, and leaving open the question.. could we do better going in a different direction.... again.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Vikings keep Keenum, the Saints keep Brees, and guys like Bortles are worthless.

I'm not a fan of Tryod for Washington's offense. As FAs go, that leaves me with either Bridgewater or Bradford. I don't like the idea of trading for a bridge QB (Alex Smith, etc.) b/c then you're spending multiple early draft picks on 2 QBs, one of whom you know won't be there in 2 years. If Alex Smith ends up a FA (unlikely), I think he's a good pickup for Washington. If you sign Bradford, you have to draft a QB early on. However, if you trade for McCarron or sign Bridgewater, you won't need to draft a QB.

Personally, I'd trade for McCarron unless I was sold on one of the rookie Qbs this year. He has ran the Skins style of offense his whole career. There are things about Bridgewater that I don't really trust. In Minny's offense, he isn't asked to carry the load most weeks--even if his pro bowl 2015 season, he only had 2 300 yard passing days, but had 9 games where he threw for less than 200 yards.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think what most people see if they are being reasonable s this.

In 2015 they said we are not ready to commit. OK fine.

In 2016 they came out and said, we will give you a lowball offer, but you need to prove 2015 wasn't a fluke if you want a real money contract. To which Kirk went out and proved it wasn't a fluke.

In 2017, they still came out and said... well here is a lower than market offer.. or you can prove it again. And just to be sure we are going to give you two project WRs and still saddle you with a questionable running game. But have at it and prove you are worth the contract.

Here we are in 2018 and the question still remains, will Kirk take a less than market deal because he wasn't able to single handedly will the team into the playoffs. thus proving he is not elite, and leaving open the question.. could we do better going in a different direction.... again.

As on the fence as Ive been, I agree with your last statement. It’s now or never to extend a big $$$ deal to KC. He has played the game, rolled the dice and won. Whether he ends up being worth that kind of $$$ remains to be seen. But he has played well enough and put himself in a position to get it. Worse case scenario he turns out being an Alex Smith type of guy, and the organization overpays him for mediocre play the next 3-4 years and be forced to move on. It could always be worse (see Albert Haynesworth).

See folks...I’m coming around...sort of. Just not willing to proclaim KC as being one of the top QBs in the league. Still not sure if he can get us over the hump without stellar talent all over the place. He is talented but unspectacular. But he is valuable to this organization. The situation is what it is. Time for Dan and Bruce to put up or move on.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As on the fence as Ive been, I agree with your last statement. It’s now or never to extend a big $$$ deal to KC. He has played the game, rolled the dice and won. Whether he ends up being worth that kind of $$$ remains to be seen. But he has played well enough and put himself in a position to get it. Worse case scenario he turns out being an Alex Smith type of guy, and the organization overpays him for mediocre play the next 3-4 years and be forced to move on. It could always be worse (see Albert Haynesworth).

See folks...I’m coming around...sort of. Just not willing to proclaim KC as being one of the top QBs in the league. Still not sure if he can get us over the hump without stellar talent all over the place. He is talented but unspectacular. But he is valuable to this organization. The situation is what it is. Time for Dan and Bruce to put up or move on.

in 2014, we were staring up at the hump from the wrong side.

Now we stand on top of the hump.... not over it, but smack dab in the middle.

So the question is... which way do we go?? Back down the wrong side, or at least contemplate moving forward??

What we should do, and what we will do are likely to be two sides of the hill though. So I have resigned myself to hoping its Mayfield or Allen. Maybe next year we can add another prime defensive talent (well provided we don't trade up that is) :thumb:

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i said all the way from the beginning that now signing would cost us a lot of money . as long as it was understood that was fine but when the time came to put up or shut up people got a case of buyers remorse and looked for BS excuses to move on with

KC solves our QB situation plain and simple , anything else means another direction and another rebuild

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't see where I mentioned 2014 season. There were some contract talks DURING the 2015 season and if I remember correctly Cousin's said he was ready to listen to a deal. By the end of the season the FO low balled him and the tagging process began. As we all no (i.e, ad nauseum) it has only escalated since then.

Of 50 FAs this year Cousin's is rated No. 1, Grapolo No. 2 and Brees No. 4. He took the risks, he played well it should be the end of the story. But here we sit going over the same ole crap over and over.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't see where I mentioned 2014 season. There were some contract talks DURING the 2015 season and if I remember correctly Cousin's said he was ready to listen to a deal. By the end of the season the FO low balled him and the tagging process began. As we all no (i.e, ad nauseum) it has only escalated since then.

Of 50 FAs this year Cousin's is rated No. 1, Grapolo No. 2 and Brees No. 4. He took the risks, he played well it should be the end of the story. But here we sit going over the same ole crap over and over.

You didn’t necessarily, but any talks that were had during the ‘15 season were pointless and a waste of time. No one point in either side discussing it when everyone knew the number would hinge on how well he performed during that season He couldn’t have signed anything during the season and his agent pretty well said, “We will see where we are at after the cleats are hung up for the season”. Kirk got off to a good start and had a really good season overall, got us into the playoffs. And it’s been a pissing match ever since.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any talks were only pointless because the FO dropped the ball. Even if you want to say well, they should have waited ... how did it turn out? The question answers itself ... over and over.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as we all know i am as avid a KC guy is there is on this board . i will always think resigning him and drafting for defense (and a few offensive needs ) is the way to go . but truth is there is a 60% chance it wont happen and a 40 % chance he signs .

so its time to look at options . now the in vogue message the past week by our feeble sports news media is that you can have a game manager qb and with a great defense win games . i believe that but it sure is easier to have an above avg qb or better no doubt as the past 10 or so years have shown

my best plan doesnt involve trading for smith . he is 34 years old , has always been a game manager , and that forces 2 things . 1st and early pick on a qb which draws away and it will cost a 2nd round pick either this year or next and neither is acceptable to me for a rental placeholder smith is 17 mil for one year

next you have a kennum type game manager . well 1st he will cost you , and yes he has played well , however i would need to see more . he had a great defense in houston and failed and his LA days werent anything to write home about . keenum could cost around 20-22 mil a year

bortles is young and could improve but if KC isnt the guy for you he could be the guy . he is a gun slinger but his accuracy will frustrate you . if you got him for 19 mil

AJ Mccarron is a young guy , mostly unproven but you would have to take a gamble on his upside which he hasnt proven he has . it will cost 16-20 mil to find out .( he sty would be my 2nd option ) he would allow you to draft a qb in the 3rd round or so and groom him . we could draft RB /defensive help and he has run a gruden type scheme

next up is bradford , i think he is a 20 mil guy and he has NFL experience . he is the same age as KC (1 yr older ?) he has always been about a high paycheck . now he is a guy who could come in and there wont be much of a drop off . his injury history is a concern so you could have him as a place holder till a 3rd round qb can get up to speed or if you went 1st rounder he is a one year rental

now my top option , sign tedy bridewater . he offers everything AJ does but he is more proven . now the down side is the 25 yr old will be 2 years removed from major injury . however he is young , was a pocket passer and fits into what gruden wants . he has a pretty good TD to INT ratio . i am thinking it will cost 18 mil to find out . it is a gamble but i like gambling with young injury history as opposed to older injury history (bradford )

now for this to work we have to absolutely have to hit on a better then 20% FA rate . if we sign 7 free agents while keeping most of our own at least 3 have to contribute like brown and DJ have . we cant overpay for mcgee/ mcclain type impact or pryor /quick impact

next we would have to get good 2nd year improvement from our draft picks (2 of them ) like we got from fuller and Ionman i think nicholson and sprinkle are my early favorites . (allen is a given ) throw in roullier

then we need 1 starter and one contributor out of the 18 draft with a couple of guys who could come on in 19

if we can get that then we should be able to hopefully keep moving forward .

big year for doug williams

I think Bridgewater is by faaaarrrrrrrrrrrrr the best option there. Also likely better than drafting a QB in the first and definitely better than trading up for one.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Bridgewater is by faaaarrrrrrrrrrrrr the best option there. Also likely better than drafting a QB in the first and definitely better than trading up for one.
i put some good thought into realistically picking the right guy . he has warts but i think he would be option A if i am the skins

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i put some good thought into realistically picking the right guy . he has warts but i think he would be option A if i am the skins

For sure he isn't perfect but he's

1) young
2) highly drafted
3) experienced
4) shown promise
5) likely fairly cheap

You can't ask for more than that in this situation.

And FWIW - obviously he's a big step back at the moment from Cousins but he's also much more promising that Cousins was when he first took over. Something to keep in mind for the doom and gloomers if we go this route.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith - yuck QB + old + draft pick to acquire = hell no

McCarron - just throw a dart on a 5th round QB this year instead. It'll be cheaper with about the same odds of working out.

Bradford - older, knee problems, expensive, meh a QB. Not the worst but what's the point.

Keenum - I highly doubt he leaves Min. If he does he'll be expensive and I'm not sure how much I trust his turnaround.

Bortles - :puke:

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For sure he isn't perfect but he's

1) young
2) highly drafted
3) experienced
4) shown promise
5) likely fairly cheap

You can't ask for more than that in this situation.

And FWIW - obviously he's a big step back at the moment from Cousins but he's also much more promising that Cousins was when he first took over. Something to keep in mind for the doom and gloomers if we go this route.

Highly drafted? He was a late first.

Has he shown promise?

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Highly drafted? He was a late first.

Has he shown promise?

For a young QB, his freshman and sophomore seasons looked pretty good...stat wise. I like his potential better than any of the other guys on that list.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I weather keep Kirk but if he leaves skins would have to draft one so I'm looking at Ferguson and Browning and bring in a vet

Heh. What happened to drafting one of the 27 rookie QBs in the draft who were better than Cousins?

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For a young QB, his freshman and sophomore seasons looked pretty good...stat wise. I like his potential better than any of the other guys on that list.

Really?

2014- 2,919 yards, 14 TDs/12int, 85 rating...3 fumbles...QBR 54
2015- 3,231, 14 TDs/9int, 88 rating...5 fumbles...QBR 57

2014- 23rd in yards, 23rd in TDs, 13th most interceptions, 22nd in rating
2015- 22nd in yards, 26th in TDs, 22nd most interceptions, 22nd in rating

Meanwhile his team numbers were...
2014- 14th best rushing team...14th overall and 11th in scoring
2015- 4th best rushing team...13th overall defense but 5 in scoring D

Bridgewater looks very timid throwing the football and misses to many wide open guys.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dad and shark are 100% right. They could have signed Cousin's for a lot less money during that 2015 season. Lets be clear here that SM was leading the pack back then to not pay Cousin's too much money. They (the Redsking FO) and many like you were of the mind that he hasn't proven anything. Now million of dollars later he has and look at the mess this turned out to be.

KC put up some nice stats, pretty much against bad teams and during the back end of 2015. The Skins only beat one team, Buffalo, that finished the year at .500, every other win came against teams that finished 7-9 or worse. And while the stats won't show it. The only decent game KC had against a good team that year was New England and that was still a 27-3 ass whippin till KC hit Jordan Reed with a TD with 30 seconds left in the game. Basically all KC proved that year was that he could ball against mediocre to sub-par teams.

The only posters I recall being adamant pro Cousins at that time were dad and Shark. Maybe there were more, but I recall far more fence straddlers and wait n see types as opposed to peeps who took up a pro Cousins stance.

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mel kipper has bake Mayfield going to redskins