• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

LB Coach Michael Barrow Fired

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder who they have in mind to replace him. Still pretty surprised by the firing of Kris Richard.

Richard wasn't bad. I had my nit-picky issues with him, but he wasn't the reason for the decline of our defense.

Carroll must really be looking to clean house and start over. I wonder if that will be reflected in personnel moves.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think it will be. after the moves they made it was superbowl or bust, and we busted.

i think they probably planned on this coming year being a down year. a lot of the older players will be gone, especially on defense, and we are going to be a lot younger.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes me wonder a little. Will they have Norton do DC and LB coach like they had Cable as Oline and AHC? I Think it would be harder to be a DC and LB coach though.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes me wonder a little. Will they have Norton do DC and LB coach like they had Cable as Oline and AHC? I Think it would be harder to be a DC and LB coach though.

Maybe bring someone up from the college ranks?

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe bring someone up from the college ranks?

someone like Glenn Schumann from the Georgia Bulldogs? wouldn't mind him, he has done will with their LBers. Sorry Well is a understatement lol. More like exceptional.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
someone like Glenn Schumann from the Georgia Bulldogs? wouldn't mind him, he has done will with their LBers. Sorry Well is a understatement lol. More like exceptional.

If he has dreams of being an NFL HC one day, this would be a nice step up considering we have an excellent LB's.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder who they have in mind to replace him. Still pretty surprised by the firing of Kris Richard.

Richard wasn't bad. I had my nit-picky issues with him, but he wasn't the reason for the decline of our defense.

Carroll must really be looking to clean house and start over. I wonder if that will be reflected in personnel moves.

That seems to be the case. I'm not expecting a massive shift in scheme or philosophy on either side of the ball, but these moves do strike me as the type of moves a head coach makes when he feels like the players need to hear what's being said in a new way. I also continue to believe that it's possible that something happened behind the scenes to make Carroll feel like Richard could no longer be an effective teacher/communicator. I can't think of anything else that would sufficiently explain why a coordinator whose unit has had great success prior to this past season would suddenly be let go, especially when you could fairly attribute any decline in performance to a string of significant injuries to important players on that side of the ball which would normally be enough to keep a coach's job safe. Maybe they were starting to tune him out at a certain point.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That seems to be the case. I'm not expecting a massive shift in scheme or philosophy on either side of the ball, but these moves do strike me as the type of moves a head coach makes when he feels like the players need to hear what's being said in a new way. I also continue to believe that it's possible that something happened behind the scenes to make Carroll feel like Richard could no longer be an effective teacher/communicator. I can't think of anything else that would sufficiently explain why a coordinator whose unit has had great success prior to this past season would suddenly be let go, especially when you could fairly attribute any decline in performance to a string of significant injuries to important players on that side of the ball which would normally be enough to keep a coach's job safe. Maybe they were starting to tune him out at a certain point.

Good post.

The Richard thing still somewhat confuses me and I think you might be right that perhaps Carroll felt that Richard was not the best person going forward. I wasn't a huge fan of Richard but felt that he didn't hurt or help the defense. I thought he was just average. But behind the scenes, maybe he wasn't doing a great job. Obviously we don't break down film or stand on the sidelines for a living, so we don't know.

I do have faith in Carroll and have to assume he did the right thing.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good post.

The Richard thing still somewhat confuses me and I think you might be right that perhaps Carroll felt that Richard was not the best person going forward. I wasn't a huge fan of Richard but felt that he didn't hurt or help the defense. I thought he was just average. But behind the scenes, maybe he wasn't doing a great job. Obviously we don't break down film or stand on the sidelines for a living, so we don't know.

I do have faith in Carroll and have to assume he did the right thing.

I think he's good as a DB coach for motivating and teaching, but I don't think being a defensive coordinator is his strength, I don't think he understand strategy when it comes to schemes and calling a good defensive game...

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he's good as a DB coach for motivating and teaching, but I don't think being a defensive coordinator is his strength, I don't think he understand strategy when it comes to schemes and calling a good defensive game...

Definitely hard to say. There might be something behind the scenes that we don't know about.

I've always been a fan of guys who are huge nerds when it comes to football. I'd prefer a good X's and O's guy at coordinator over a guy who is super motivational. Just look at Nick Holt - former UW defensive coordinator - dude could get anyone fired up, but his defensive game plans were pathetic.

When you're a coordinator, you win games by winning the chess match. Let the motivational aspect fall on the head coach and position coaches.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely hard to say. There might be something behind the scenes that we don't know about.

I've always been a fan of guys who are huge nerds when it comes to football. I'd prefer a good X's and O's guy at coordinator over a guy who is super motivational. Just look at Nick Holt - former UW defensive coordinator - dude could get anyone fired up, but his defensive game plans were pathetic.

When you're a coordinator, you win games by winning the chess match. Let the motivational aspect fall on the head coach and position coaches.

Exactly, it really is a chess match between defense and offense when you're a coordinator...

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Given all the intense, fiery personalities among the players on that side of the ball, I'm not sure that they needed a "rah rah" guy either. None of those guys lack motivation and I doubt they'd allow anyone on the field with them to lack it either. They need the right combination of "football nerd" and occasional referee (for lack of a better term) to make sure that they can stay focused on the football itself and not let that intensity and fire get out of hand. Norton has the knowledge and experience that comes with being a player on winners throughout his career to cover the X's and O's and his familiarity with the personalities he'll be working with should allow him to avert some of the issues that have been cropping up the past couple of years.

That's the hope anyway.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given all the intense, fiery personalities among the players on that side of the ball, I'm not sure that they needed a "rah rah" guy either. None of those guys lack motivation and I doubt they'd allow anyone on the field with them to lack it either. They need the right combination of "football nerd" and occasional referee (for lack of a better term) to make sure that they can stay focused on the football itself and not let that intensity and fire get out of hand. Norton has the knowledge and experience that comes with being a player on winners throughout his career to cover the X's and O's and his familiarity with the personalities he'll be working with should allow him to avert some of the issues that have been cropping up the past couple of years.

That's the hope anyway.

Good post. Can't disagree with anything you brought up.

It's hard to see Norton as much of a difference though. I have to assume there is more going on behind the scenes because Kris Richard didn't do a bad job, and from what I can gather; Norton has a similar style.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good post. Can't disagree with anything you brought up.

It's hard to see Norton as much of a difference though. I have to assume there is more going on behind the scenes because Kris Richard didn't do a bad job, and from what I can gather; Norton has a similar style.

One coach might know as much about X's and O's as the other and they might even have the same coaching techniques, but it could be as simple as the old cliche of the players needing to hear a different voice in the locker room. In that case, the message to be almost identical except that it's coming from someone new. It's not even something that can exclusively applied to sports. Your parents or your significant other could tell you to do something and after enough times it could come across as nagging, making you less interested in doing it the more you're told to do it. But if someone else comes along that you respect and tells you to do it, you might find yourself actually wanting to do it.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One coach might know as much about X's and O's as the other and they might even have the same coaching techniques, but it could be as simple as the old cliche of the players needing to hear a different voice in the locker room. In that case, the message to be almost identical except that it's coming from someone new. It's not even something that can exclusively applied to sports. Your parents or your significant other could tell you to do something and after enough times it could come across as nagging, making you less interested in doing it the more you're told to do it. But if someone else comes along that you respect and tells you to do it, you might find yourself actually wanting to do it.

It sounded like Ken Norton had the respect of the players when he was the LB coach and I think I read somewhere many moons ago that players wanted him as the DC. I too think Richard did a good job with the amount of injuries that piled up so I'm not sure why the players soured on him but a change of the guard was needed so now it's up to the players to listen to Norton since it seemed like that's who they wanted in the first place.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sounded like Ken Norton had the respect of the players when he was the LB coach and I think I read somewhere many moons ago that players wanted him as the DC. I too think Richard did a good job with the amount of injuries that piled up so I'm not sure why the players soured on him but a change of the guard was needed so now it's up to the players to listen to Norton since it seemed like that's who they wanted in the first place.

There's a difference between like and respect. The players could've liked Richard all they wanted, but they didn't act like they respected him very much. Also, there's a skill in managing big egos - and at the very least Richard showed that wasn't a strength for him.

I wish him all the luck with Dallas.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a difference between like and respect. The players could've liked Richard all they wanted, but they didn't act like they respected him very much. Also, there's a skill in managing big egos - and at the very least Richard showed that wasn't a strength for him.

I wish him all the luck with Dallas.

Agreed